PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Grand Prix Athlete Selection

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

RD
06-27-2011, 04:32 PM
The assignment of Zhang makes perfect sense to me. The top 6 US ladies got two assignments; the next two are doing the JGP. Beyond that, there is really only one US lady who is a 'known commodity' and can help draw a crowd, and that's Caroline. Sure, Forte/Bulanhagui/Gong finished a few points over her at Nats; but Zhang's past record far exceeds those three. (And one of them will probably get the TBD slot.)

Ah, makes sense now. Thanks for explaining- I was having a little of a :confused: moment why Zhang got any assignments given how she did last season...

allezfred
06-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Question: why are the Shibs doing back-to-back GPs?

Because those were the only ones left after Davis/White and Virtue/Moir had been chosen.

olympic
06-27-2011, 04:36 PM
More thoughts on US TBD's -

1. Pairs TBD at SA - who will the 3d TBD go to? Denney / Coughlin [are they eligible] ? Or perhaps to Davis / Leftheris ?

2. Ice Dance TBD at SA - I'm sure that the 2d TBD will go to Kriegenkrarut / Giuletti Schmitt. But with so many splits, what about the 3d? We are really going down the list on that one ...

3. Men's TBD at SA - I'm really sure that Mahbanoozadeh will get the 3d TBD. He scored around 212 pts. last season here, didn't he? Any chance it will go to Doug Razzano, though w/ such improvement recently?

4. Ladies TBD at SA - I'm assuming that it will be someone like Joelle Forte or Alexe Gilles, since they even put Zhang in there? Is Yasmin Siraj Sr. GP eligible?

Japan Ladies TBD - I wonder why the JSF just doesn't give that to Suguri. It looks like all the other top JPN ladies have assignments. Are they perhaps sending her a message? :shuffle:

kirkbiggestfan
06-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Because those were the only ones left after Davis/White and Virtue/Moir had been chosen.

I thought that TEB would pick the Shibutanis to make it časier`on Nathalie and Fabian. :lol:

Proustable
06-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Olympic, I think Donlan/Speroff get the TBA at Skate America

Fort
06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Question: why are the Shibs doing back-to-back GPs?

Plus, it makes the long plane ride a little more worth it, to stay and do two events, than try to come home and/or flying out to Europe (since they can't do SA or SC).

Domshabfan
06-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Maybe the RFSF wants French fans to see them at TEB before the Worlds in Nice and they don't prefer to do back-to-back GPs?

If this is the reason, this would be a smart move as hundreds of the same fans will be present at Nice and the rest of the local fans will have watched their performance on TV.TEB is the only GP broadcast on French national television.

They answered this question during an interview, which TAHbKA translated (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3215897&postcount=57)

Q: You will have an opportunity to participate three GP events. WIll you use it? After all if all the medalists will want to participate 3 events you will be facing each other.
Maksim: as of right now we plan to participate two events. But if we want and will be ready we might participate the Russian event as well. Russia can have 3 local pairs and one spot will be vacant almost till the end.
Tanya: Also the scoring is important: the best 2 results are counted. The 3rd, the worst is not counted. Hence we decided to participate two more competitions: in Germany and Slovakia to increase our stadning.
Maksim: as ofr facing the rivals - we dont' care. Most importantly is to do your job. The earlier we start competing the better. We are not training so we can later choose who to face and whom not.

It was partly their decision not to compete at COR.

reese
06-27-2011, 04:47 PM

This would be my preference, but why would they get it over Lindsay/Themi?

Megi
06-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Hmm, Lysacek? I think I've heard of that guy before...

olympic
06-27-2011, 04:51 PM

Oh, forgot about them for some reason. Didn't D/L outscore them at nats, though? Can't remember

Braulio
06-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Hmm, Lysacek? I think I've heard of that guy before...

Welcome back Megi you too

:)

Proustable
06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
This would be my preference, but why would they get it over Lindsay/Themi?

Because I like them.... But my guess is that they'll do better in the summer comps to earn the spot. That and I haven't heard of Lindsay/Themi, so it's entirely possible that I'm talking out of my ass.

victoriaheidi
06-27-2011, 04:54 PM

1. Pairs TBD at SA - who will the 3d TBD go to? Denney / Coughlin [are they eligible] ? Or perhaps to Davis / Leftheris ?

2. Ice Dance TBD at SA - I'm sure that the 2d TBD will go to Kriegenkrarut / Giuletti Schmitt. But with so many splits, what about the 3d? We are really going down the list on that one ...

3. Men's TBD at SA - I'm really sure that Mahbanoozadeh will get the 3d TBD. He scored around 212 pts. last season here, didn't he? Any chance it will go to Doug Razzano, though w/ such improvement recently?

4. Ladies TBD at SA - I'm assuming that it will be someone like Joelle Forte or Alexe Gilles, since they even put Zhang in there? Is Yasmin Siraj Sr. GP eligible?

Japan Ladies TBD - I wonder why the JSF just doesn't give that to Suguri. It looks like all the other top JPN ladies have assignments. Are they perhaps sending her a message? :shuffle:

1. I would LOVE to see D/L, but I don't know if they'd get picked.

2. Lichtman/Copely? I really want to see more of them!

3. I just hope that Armin gets two spots somehow.

4. IMO, that's such a tough spot because every US lady competing on the GP (save for Zhang, who's there anyway) has two spots. Maybe they'll do what JSF did last year and give the third spot to someone from another country.

Japan: I have NO idea. Maybe Yuki Nishino?

chipso1
06-27-2011, 04:54 PM

I'm hoping Castelli/Shnapir get the SA TBD spot. It could also go to Cain/Reagan.

In dance, I would guess the TBDs will go to Lichtman/Copely and K/G-S.

Men -- probably Mahbanoozadeh or Messing.

Ladies -- please not Gilles. :slinkaway I'd much rather see Gong or Bulanhagui there. Hell, even Baga! ;)

olympic
06-27-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm hoping Castelli/Shnapir get the SA TBD spot. It could also go to Cain/Reagan.

In dance, I would guess the TBDs will go to Lichtman/Copely and K/G-S.

Men -- probably Mahbanoozadeh or Messing.

Ladies -- please not Gilles. :slinkaway I'd much rather see Gong or Bulanhagui there. Hell, even Baga! ;)

Forgot about Messing for the men. Is he age-eligible for Seniors? Sorry, At work and monitoring this thread at the same time... :)

ETA - Now I'm pretty sure that the 3d spot at SA in Pairs will go to C/S. I didn't see that they have only 1 assignment.