PDA

View Full Version : Do you get enough sleep at night?

Pages : [1] 2

Garden Kitty
06-22-2011, 04:56 PM
We were discussing this at work today and it got me wondering how many people feel like they get enough sleep at night to perform their best in the morning vs. how many start their day sleep deprived.

Veronika
06-22-2011, 05:06 PM
I think I get enough sleep (7 hours average on weekday nights, 7-8 hours on weekends), but I'm still very tired in the morning. I'm just not a morning person--if I could get up at 7 AM instead of 6 AM every weekday, I think that would help.

Skittl1321
06-22-2011, 05:06 PM
I answered "purple".

I have no idea what amount is enough sleep for me, because no matter what, I wake up tired.

I wake up at 6:30, and I am just as tired if I go to bed at 9:30 (my normal time), 11:00, or a ridiculously early 8:00 (and it happens more than it should). If I stay up past midnight I am generally useless.

I actually had the doctor run tests because I am way too tired for my age, with no children. Everything came back fine.

However, I usually start my day at work just fine- I don't use the snooze alarm, and get up pretty well, but tired. It's not until maybe 2 hours into work that I really crash.

skatefan
06-22-2011, 05:27 PM
I voted 'No' - snoring husband being the reason why my sleep is continually disrupted :( But now with children moving out I have a spare bedroom :cheer2: if he gets too loud :)

Hannahclear
06-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Ha! I have a one year old. Guess how well I sleep.

Gazpacho
06-22-2011, 05:52 PM
The 8 hours standard is only an average. Some people's bodies need more sleep, others less. Some only need 4 hours for their bodies to refresh--so jealous!

As for me, the amount of sleep I need varies a lot based on the activities I've done that day, time of year, time of month (hormones), and how much sleep I've gotten in recent days (if I've slept only 5 hours for a few days straight, I'll crash and sleep the entire weekend). I also have bipolar II. It's well controlled with medication, but when it wasn't, I would go days and days on a motor and then get so depressed and unable to get out of bed.

I'm definitely a huge night person. No matter when I get up, and no matter how much sleep I've gotten, it takes a good 2-3 hours for me to feel awake, and I feel most mentally alert many hours after I wake up.

pilgrimsoul
06-22-2011, 05:57 PM
God knows I try & am in bed by 10:30 every night, but even taking melatonin, it's hard to get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. My brain just will not STFU.

CynicElle
06-22-2011, 07:00 PM
I definitely don't get enough sleep, but it's my own fault. I'm very bad about going to bed at a good time on worknights. :shuffle: The way I see it, I spend tons of time at work (plus commuting), so I'm going to squeeze every last drop out of my weeknights. That's my time.

Aceon6
06-22-2011, 07:05 PM
I'm a fairly good sleeper and do fine on 7 hours, occasionally 8. I'm an early bird... up with the sun and am most productive between 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. I tell my co-workers that I'm not the best person to make a big decision after 3 p.m.

BigB08822
06-22-2011, 07:37 PM
I think so but I also don't work right now and only have classes to worry about. If I don't then I take a nap around 1 each day. I am lucky and have never had trouble falling asleep so if I don't sleep it is because I slept too much the day before and that will quickly be fixed the next evening when I am really tired. I almost went with purple.

Grannyfan
06-22-2011, 08:06 PM
As I get older, I sleep less soundly. Getting up to go potty a couple of times is normal, so I rarely sleep through the night. If I'm away from home, it's worse.

Prancer
06-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Mostly no, but sometimes yes.

God knows I try & am in bed by 10:30 every night, but even taking melatonin, it's hard to get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. My brain just will not STFU.

You might find this interesting: http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/news/2011-06-22_05.asp

Satellitegirl
06-22-2011, 08:16 PM
I get plenty of sleep when I'm happy...and tend to stay up too late and be tired, when I'm not.

Rob
06-22-2011, 08:26 PM
I definitely don't get enough sleep, but it's my own fault. I'm very bad about going to bed at a good time on worknights. :shuffle: The way I see it, I spend tons of time at work (plus commuting), so I'm going to squeeze every last drop out of my weeknights. That's my time.

This. Always tired due to long days and not enough sleep.

emason
06-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Absolutely not; I've suffered from chronic insomnia for years. Occasionally I will take a 5mg Ambien, but I try not to do it too often. The rest of the time I just toss and turn all night long.