PDA

View Full Version : Timothy Goebel 2006

Pages : 1 2 [3]

olympic
06-26-2011, 02:04 PM
^ I recall Tim's meltdown at '04 Nats, which I think was contributed to new skates? But how did Tim perform on the Fall '03 GP circuit? My mind is blank. Did he still execute Quads there?

I don't think though that what happened around '04 has ever been fully explained: FC 'firing' Tim, Tim's jumps going AWOL and Tim never being a US let alone a world frontrunner again.

I do recall JW moving to the forefront in '04 w/o Quads. Maybe that caused Tim to decide to put the emphasis on other things besides Jumps, which resulted in his jumps regressing??

maureenfarone
06-26-2011, 02:32 PM
But maybe he lost his jumps by practicing a lot more spins and choreography. ;)
I vaguely recall a print interview with Tim where he said that practicing all the other elements and the change edge moves needed for IJS was taking away from his quad practices. Sorry, don't have a link.

skatesindreams
06-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Tim Goebel 2005 US Nationals SP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0EjEssavls)

Thank you!
I'd forgotten how good that was; and how moving,
I hadn't seen it since I was in the arena that evening.

DORISPULASKI
06-26-2011, 04:13 PM
That was great! 2005 SP.

I particularly like the opening F/W.

Frank dumped the injured (hip, neck, back) Tim for Evan as the better shot for Frank coaching an Olympic Gold Medallist.

It is not surprising that Frank then dumped on Tim in a number of ways. When one of Frank's top students doesn't do well, he seems very willing to publicly criticize them personally, as he did Mirai after nationals. It seems that above all, it is never Frank's fault. To prove that, it must be shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that the skater had bad work habits/personal habits in some way.

orbitz
06-26-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't know Frank or his coaching style, but I highly doubt he's the type of coach that dump a student simply because the once-promising student is no longer the hot thing. If that was the case then he would've dumped Bebe a long, long time ago, and he certainly wouldn't have had the good reputations among his peers that he has enjoyed all these years.

PrincessLeppard
06-27-2011, 12:07 AM
From my understanding, there was a lot going on with Tim off ice that was never publicized. I wouldn't put much of the blame on Frank.

I thought Plush winning was the right decision. I was in nosebleed, non-judging side. :) Tim's hunched shoulders were evident even from there. :yikes:

casken
06-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Thanks for posting the link pollyanna. :)

From my understanding, there was a lot going on with Tim off ice that was never publicized. I wouldn't put much of the blame on Frank.

This is what I heard too, and if it was true Frank Carroll was justified in that decision.

ginask8s
06-27-2011, 01:32 AM
I don't know Frank or his coaching style, but I highly doubt he's the type of coach that dump a student simply because the once-promising student is no longer the hot thing. If that was the case then he would've dumped Bebe a long, long time ago, and he certainly wouldn't have had the good reputations among his peers that he has enjoyed all these years.

I think he did. I seem to remember her with Ken Comegy alot, not him.

DORISPULASKI
06-27-2011, 04:46 AM
Yes, that's how I remember it-Ken Congemi, innit?

TheIronLady
06-27-2011, 05:26 AM
Yeah, Frank did not fire him because he wasn't winning or for reasons of ego.

Frank never dumped Bebe. Ken Congemi and Frank both worked with her.