PDA

View Full Version : Timothy Goebel 2006

Pages : 1 [2] 3

orbitz
06-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Tim pretty much lost his quads and his 3A after 2002. He no longer had the weapons that put him head and shoulders above most of his competitors. It wasn't the IJS that did in his career but the lost of his technical abilities.

The programs that TT gave Tim and Evan were craps. They wasted their money on her.

arakwafan2006
06-24-2011, 12:27 PM
T

arakwafan2006
06-24-2011, 12:30 PM
The programs that TT gave Tim and Evan were craps. They wasted their money on her.

I KNOW!!!! It even kept Evan from winning his world title that year. Terrible decision. Oh and Dick Button sounded like he just wanted to puke at the sight of Tim's short program. wast-o- dollars...:rolleyes:

olympic
06-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Tim pretty much lost his quads and his 3A after 2002. He no longer had the weapons that put him head and shoulders above most of his competitors. It wasn't the IJS that did in his career but the lost of his technical abilities.

Really?? Didn't he come close to Plush with a silver medal at '03 Worlds, skating an SP and LP w/ Quads? Some have argued here on this board that he actually outskated Plush there...

DORISPULASKI
06-24-2011, 02:35 PM
AFAIR, Tim's 2003 programs at Worlds were both great. During the GP in the 03/04, he was 2nd at NHK to Jeff Buttle., went and at some point after the LP, (the gala?) tripped over his skate guards and reinjued himself. He showed up at TEB in a neck brace, looking like a turtle, and didn't skate.

After that, it was pretty much down hill, with a brief flurry of excellence, skating his 2005 US Nationals SP in honor of Angela Nikodinov's mother, who had just died in a car wreck in which Angela was injured, and was therefore unable to skate.

http://www.goldenskate.com/2005/01/goebel-mounts-a-comeback-at-us-nationals/

He dropped to second in the LP
http://www.goldenskate.com/2005/01/weir-wins-with-perfect-scores/

manleywoman
06-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Really?? Didn't he come close to Plush with a silver medal at '03 Worlds, skating an SP and LP w/ Quads? Some have argued here on this board that he actually outskated Plush there...

I was there and thought Tim should have won.

DORISPULASKI
06-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Yes, so did I--but I was on the non-judge side of the rink. Plush's program was entirely judge-centric, so if you were not on the judge's side, he looked far worse than he did from a camera on the judge's side.

In fact, I made a kind of parlor game out of it with my friends-tell me who you think should have won World Men's 2003 and I'll tell you which side of the rink you sat on.

manleywoman
06-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Perhaps. I sat on one of the ends.

orbitz
06-24-2011, 11:51 PM
I KNOW!!!! It even kept Evan from winning his world title that year. Terrible decision. Oh and Dick Button sounded like he just wanted to puke at the sight of Tim's short program. wast-o- dollars...:rolleyes:

Did you conveniently forget that Lori Nichol reworked Evan's LP by the time Nationals and Worlds rolled around? And I don't exactly recall Dick Button jumping over his seat with joy at the sight of Tim painfully trying to show us that he had rhythm in that SP either. The program was simply busy. So I take your one :rolleyes: and give you 2 X:rolleyes:.

orbitz
06-24-2011, 11:53 PM

You're right. I forgot about 2003.

arakwafan2006
06-25-2011, 02:17 AM
Did you conveniently forget that Lori Nichol reworked Evan's LP by the time Nationals and Worlds rolled around? And I don't exactly recall Dick Button jumping over his seat with joy at the sight of Tim painfully trying to show us that he had rhythm in that SP either. The program was simply busy. So I take your one :rolleyes: and give you 2 X:rolleyes:.

Did you conveniently forget that the program didnt look so reworked? oh wait... except the footwork was sluggish and too hard for Evan. He couldnt pull it off. Sorta like his stagnant Olympic one. And since i am 30 I wont subscribe to your petty multiplication of eye roll game. It was cute though

centerpt1
06-25-2011, 02:38 AM
Yes, so did I--but I was on the non-judge side of the rink. Plush's program was entirely judge-centric, so if you were not on the judge's side, he looked far worse than he did from a camera on the judge's side.

In fact, I made a kind of parlor game out of it with my friends-tell me who you think should have won World Men's 2003 and I'll tell you which side of the rink you sat on.

I was there, too-and thought Tim should have won......but I was on the non judge side.....interesting

casken
06-25-2011, 03:08 AM
After that, it was pretty much down hill, with a brief flurry of excellence, skating his 2005 US Nationals SP in honor of Angela Nikodinov's mother, who had just died in a car wreck in which Angela was injured, and was therefore unable to skate.

I was never a fan of Tim's skating, but that program, and performance, were really remarkable. I remember just being so taken aback by it all.

If you told me I would be genuinely moved by Tim Geobel's skating, and while skating to Rachmaninoff on top of that, I would said that you were nuts. :lol:

I searched a bit but couldn't find it online though. Too bad.

pollyanna
06-26-2011, 08:16 AM
I searched a bit but couldn't find it online though. Too bad.

Tim Goebel 2005 US Nationals SP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0EjEssavls)

briancoogaert
06-26-2011, 12:23 PM
But maybe he lost his jumps by practicing a lot more spins and choreography. ;)