PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

sk9tingfan
06-23-2011, 04:28 PM
I find it interesting that neither USFSA nor IceNetwork have released a formal announcement, which makes me wonder if a reversal of the breakup could potentially happen. I would expect one for skaters of this magnitude and its absence makes me wonder about it. :confused:

BittyBug
06-23-2011, 04:46 PM
If Evan is really pairing up with his girlfriend Becky I think it's a big mistake.So one person speculates that Evan is dating Becky and now suddenly it's a FACT that not only are they an item but Evan is presumably dumping Emily for his alleged girlfriend?

ioana
06-23-2011, 04:52 PM
So one person speculates that Evan is dating Becky and now suddenly it's a FACT that not only are they an item but Evan is presumably dumping Emily for his alleged girlfriend?

Well, I know facebook is not the most reliable source, but they both list the other one as a respective SO in their profiles. I would think it's safe to assume Evan and Becky really are together off ice. Whether or not that translates into any on-ice partnerships...that's a whole different story.

BlueRidge
06-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Becky Bereswill isn't an ice dancer. :confused:

Spinner
06-23-2011, 04:58 PM
So basically I could pick up ice dancing or pairs this year and probably make at least alternate for the World team?
You AND I could pick up a few dances and qualify together! :lol:

Proustable
06-23-2011, 05:46 PM
If she wants her son to have an easier path to Sochi, maybe she should start with the Russian teams...

Seriously. There's about a half dozen in between K/A and Sochi, so she should get right on that.

Susan M
06-23-2011, 06:29 PM
I find it interesting that neither USFSA nor IceNetwork have released a formal announcement, which makes me wonder if a reversal of the breakup could potentially happen.
We can but hope.

I honestly do not think either of them can find a better choice out there.

stjeaskategym
06-23-2011, 06:45 PM
I find it interesting that neither USFSA nor IceNetwork have released a formal announcement, which makes me wonder if a reversal of the breakup could potentially happen. I would expect one for skaters of this magnitude and its absence makes me wonder about it. :confused:

Sure, reversal of breakups could happen at any time for anyone, but it's rather common for there to be a delay in getting out the USFS press release. This board discussed the C/Z split and Ashley Wagner coaching change for many days before there was an official announcement. It sometimes just takes long.

Frau Muller
06-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Becky Bereswill isn't an ice dancer. :confused:

No. And neither was she a pair skater until last season. She seems to love to play switcheroo...like Fedor Andreev. :P

kwanfan1818
06-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Seriously. There's about a half dozen in between K/A and Sochi, so she should get right on that.
K/A were 4th at last year's Russian Nationals, and although I/K were weak, K/A were ~4.5 points ahead of I/K in the FD, and 4 points behind I/K overall.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3002463&postcount=170

That's with less than a year together, with Andreev not even an ice dancer, compared to Junior World Champions who'd been together for more than three years. I'm pretty skeptical about how far Andreev can go, but I do think that he can get to be at least as good as Kostomarov and that she's a:rockstar:. They should have competition from Monko/Khavialin up the line, but I'm not sure M/K will do it this season, especially if K/A make a leap in levels and ability, having had more time together.

If K/A make the team this year, they have to cut through the field to get close to the podium over the next few years, and not having to compete against S/B under S/Z is an advantage. I'm not so sure how they would have fared against C/Z had he not retired, or even if C/Z would have made the team again. With the breakups, they'd be on at least even footing with any new third-place teams coming from the US (assuming D/W and S/S are the top two), regardless of how long the third-place teams have been together. (I say this sadly as a Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt fan.) K/A could well have a chance to establish themselves this season before they have any real competition from any re-formulated teams.

I think K/A will be at an advantage not having to skate against C/P. Although I think Paul/Islam will be the third Canadian team and competitive this season, I don't see them having an advantage in their first year in seniors over K/A.

Proustable
06-23-2011, 07:27 PM
I/K have been together two years, not three.

Russian depth in ice dance on the junior level is ridiculously sick, though. And if you assume that a third of them are able to move up and be competitive... mon dieu, that's huge. But right now, consider that I/K, B/S and R/T are posting scores that are top ten in the World. As are M/K.

Paul/Islam competed seniors last year, posted a FD score at SC that beat the Kerrs. The scores at Nationals between P/I and K/A were comparable.

kwanfan1818
06-23-2011, 07:49 PM
I/K have been together two years, not three.

Russian depth in ice dance on the junior level is ridiculously sick, though. And if you assume that a third of them are able to move up and be competitive... mon dieu, that's huge. But right now, consider that I/K, B/S and R/T are posting scores that are top ten in the World. As are M/K.

Paul/Islam competed seniors last year, posted a FD score at SC that beat the Kerrs. The scores at Nationals between P/I and K/A were comparable.
If I/K were 4th at Russian Nationals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Russian_Figure_Skating_Championships#Ice_danc ing) as Juniors in 2008-2009, they've been together for three seasons. (They were together briefly in 2005.)

Paul/Islam wouldn't be coming in as their country's #3 with the kind of politik behind them as K/A. I think it will be a couple years before P/I challenge W/P.

I don't think it's by any means guaranteed that K/A will make it out of Russian Nationals, and I personally prefer M/K, but I don't think they have half a dozen teams between them and Sochi, especially with a S/Z behind them and the potential jump from another year under their belts.

rhumba
06-23-2011, 08:06 PM
delete

rhumba
06-23-2011, 08:10 PM
K/A were 4th at last year's Russian Nationals, and although I/K were weak, K/A were ~4.5 points ahead of I/K in the FD, and 4 points behind I/K overall.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3002463&postcount=170

That's with less than a year together, with Andreev not even an ice dancer, compared to Junior World Champions who'd been together for more than three years. I'm pretty skeptical about how far Andreev can go, but I do think that he can get to be at least as good as Kostomarov and that she's a:rockstar:. They should have competition from Monko/Khavialin up the line, but I'm not sure M/K will do it this season, especially if K/A make a leap in levels and ability, having had more time together.

If K/A make the team this year, they have to cut through the field to get close to the podium over the next few years, and not having to compete against S/B under S/Z is an advantage. I'm not so sure how they would have fared against C/Z had he not retired, or even if C/Z would have made the team again. With the breakups, they'd be on at least even footing with any new third-place teams coming from the US (assuming D/W and S/S are the top two), regardless of how long the third-place teams have been together. (I say this sadly as a Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt fan.) K/A could well have a chance to establish themselves this season before they have any real competition from any re-formulated teams.

I think K/A will be at an advantage not having to skate against C/P. Although I think Paul/Islam will be the third Canadian team and competitive this season, I don't see them having an advantage in their first year in seniors over K/A.

That's exactly what I meant that mama Marina is doing some tricks with NA teams, her son will have easier path in international scene....then Sochi

kwanette
06-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Wikipedia lists Evan as Emily's "former" partner..:(