PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

elka_sk8
06-23-2011, 03:56 AM
She would still need to be released by her federation, which is unlikely.

Bryce Davison, as a dual citizen, doesn't have that caveat (SC would be forced to release him, essentially), which is why he could immediately start skating for the USA should he find a partner there.

Like Caitlin Yankowskas? :watch: Dang, you just got my hopes up.

Sorry to hear S/B split, I liked them.

UMBS Go Blue
06-23-2011, 04:20 AM
From Sylvia's link quoted here:

My compilation list of the current known status of US dance teams from 2011 Nationals:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3216050&postcount=226

...there is the following:

Reportedly looking for a partner and not listed on IPS.com:
Evan Bates, Madison Chock, Keiffer Hubbell, Emily Samuelson

Stating the obvious here: if Chock and Bates are supposedly paired up, then wouldn't Samuelson and K. Hubbell be a nice pairing? Similarly slender, long lines.

jenji124
06-23-2011, 04:24 AM
This shocked me I was fully expecting them to be back this coming season. I was never a huge fan of theirs but I saw alot of potential with them.

nashvilledancer
06-23-2011, 04:56 AM
I was at LA Worlds for that performance, attended FD practice, and took so many pictures of Emily & Evan. They had the most beautiful "picture lines" in lifts and spins. So very sad about this breakup. We got to know Emily and her family a bit in Greensboro (bought some extra OD tickets they had) and they are delightful people.

It certainly will be an interesting year, seeing if any fabulous new teams will emerge from all these excellent pieces of teams.

victoriaheidi
06-23-2011, 06:14 AM
First, I have a bad day. Now this?! :fragile:

rhumba
06-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Very, very sad....they're my fav. I think this could be conspiracy.. Marina wanted to break up the NA teams, her son will have easier path to Sochi.... These teams were very capable in beating her son; C/Z, S/B,... Whatever Marina did with these teams, it worked...:)

MacMadame
06-23-2011, 06:48 AM
It is officially the Age of
"Instant Gratification"
:rolleyes:

Sameulson and Bates have been skating together since 2000 -- so 11 years. Exactly how long does a team have to stay together before the public doesn't cry "our teams never stay together long enough" when they break up?

Penniless Rostrum
06-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Yes, well most people don't know how long some of these young teams have been together , and I guess this is one of the points, they are bl**dy bored of eachother!!! S&B had to be one of my favourite teams over the years, they are truly sublime, and IMO quite a bit stronger than the Shibutanis. Both teams are technically suberb, but S&B have the IT factor that the siblings don't have yet, and quite frankly were given a bit of a treat at Worlds, I don't mind that they got bronze, but even they must realize it was an exception. The depletion of ice dance teams over the last couple of years is shocking to say the least ,but when such technically superior teams call it quits ,it makes you wonder if Dance will survive.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Wasn't the skating community (or at least the powers that be) lamenting the state of Ice Dance before the 1994 Olympics, and despite the fantastic drama given to us during the 90s and early 2000s, weren't some people tired of ice dance teams who didn't really dance? Then there was COP and the fact that dancers no longer care about leg lines, dance holds, and actually skating to the rhythm of the music (first with overarching, vague OD themes to the death of CDs and ODs).

As long as I have been a skating fan, it seemed that there were different groups of people coming out to complain about the state of Ice Dance throughout my time watching and loving this discipline. My point is that I think Dance will survive as long as the Olympics are still valued as are World, National, and Euro/4CC titles to a lesser extent.

Pikachuusb
06-23-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm still bummed about this :(

MINAM
06-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Argh! This is so sad! :( I really liked them!

OlieRow
06-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Very, very sad....they're my fav. I think this could be conspiracy.. Marina wanted to break up the NA teams, her son will have easier path to Sochi.... These teams were very capable in beating her son; C/Z, S/B,... Whatever Marina did with these teams, it worked...:)

If she wants her son to have an easier path to Sochi, maybe she should start with the Russian teams...

missysays
06-23-2011, 03:55 PM
What a pity after so many years of hard work and preserverence to throw it away now. Well I guess unless you're on the inside of it you never know what's going on.

If Evan is really pairing up with his girlfriend Becky I think it's a big mistake- while Becky's a beautiful looking girl her skating skills and stretch of line just isn't there. I always felt she was kind of gangly. If he does have to find a new partner I would love to see what Shannon Wingle would look like skating with him. I've always felt that she was one of the unsung American female ice dancers her performance quality is amazing and soulful she just hasn't really had the strongest of partners to really match her or show her off.

But I bet we'll see the announcement of Becky and Evan anytime now and that after a season or two they'll fade into polite obscurity and a life away from competition a la Justin Pekarek and his now wife.

Sylvia
06-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Huh? AFAIK, Becky Bereswill is training singles with Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen, and I think she's scheduled to compete at Skate Detroit next month.

Cyn
06-23-2011, 04:08 PM
I went into denial mode when the rumors about this split first surfaced. Now that it's confirmed, the news is just crushing :fragile: :wuzrobbed :( . They were easily one of my favorite teams since hitting the Senior ranks, and like so many others have posted, it sucks that we won't be able to see them skate up to their potential (ie., their American In Paris FD).