PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

KStanley
06-23-2011, 01:17 AM
At this rate, the single skaters will start splitting with themselves...

Nope, they just change coaches.

LilJen
06-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Here's a higher quality clip of that performance. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WilWQpqhuRU)The Brit EuroSport guys loved them. :)
"a team for the future," they said. :wuzrobbed:

I've gotten sadder and sadder about this over the course of the day. Emily and Evan had a great sense of FUN, which is the thing I loved most about them. They even sold me on their cowboy/country music OD, and I despise country music. Their FDs left something to be desired--they never seemed to fit them just right and were often generic and the music was hideous--and I was really looking forward to seeing what Zoueva/Shpilband could do for them in terms of FDs (and the American in Paris program sounded like a step in the right direction).

But we'll probably never know the whole story. There are SO many factors that go into making a pairs or dance team happen (parents [at least for younger skaters], finances, the skaters themselves, boyfriends/girlfriends, conflicting or matching goals, drive, competitiveness, other hobbies or schooling) that it's a wonder teams like Del/Schoes or V/M or D/W have lasted so long. They definitely defy the odds.

plushenkofan
06-23-2011, 01:23 AM
The fact that so many pairs and dance teams have broken up this offseason sucks. But Samuelson/Bates breaking up sucks worse.

letsskate
06-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Maybe Evan can try to partner with Becky since they're dating anyways... Becky said awhile ago that she wanted to try ice dancing this season although she's now focusing on singles.. but could change? who knows..... Becky has the beautiful long lines to match evan too..

Cal Girl
06-23-2011, 01:44 AM
It is officially the Age of
"Instant Gratification"

victoriajh
06-23-2011, 01:55 AM
i thought they had such a fresh look to their programs- i just loved her line and they seemed to be well suited to my untrained eye
I am sorry to hear they spilt- man I am scared to come here each day and see who has spilt next.....:(

chipso1
06-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Maybe Evan can try to partner with Becky since they're dating anyways... Becky said awhile ago that she wanted to try ice dancing this season although she's now focusing on singles.. but could change? who knows..... Becky has the beautiful long lines to match evan too..

I hope that's not the case. Becky's skating skills are fairly weak for a senior lady (lack of speed, depth of edge, power generated from stroking); I imagine those flaws would only be magnified in ice dance.

Jenna
06-23-2011, 02:04 AM
And so the rumors are true...shame, shame. :(

I am happy, however, for Lynn and Logan, who have moved into world team position by doing absolutely nothing.

Skittl1321
06-23-2011, 02:13 AM

I am happy, however, for Lynn and Logan, who have moved into world team position by doing absolutely nothing.

Staying together....

that seems to be the 'element' that challenges the USA pairs and dance teams more than anything else.

skatemommy
06-23-2011, 02:24 AM

Not being snarky, but they do seem like a hard working couple. Like to see some outsiders challenge for a change! I am nothing but happy for them!

Theatregirl1122
06-23-2011, 02:36 AM
Well, as someone who saw Emily and Evan's American in Paris, I can honestly say that it was absolutely wonderful, absolutely perfect for them, and I was so excited to finally see an FD from them that was worthy of their considerable talent. I wish they had been able to perform it.

I have no idea what happened and I'm going to go ahead and give Emily and Evan the benefit of the doubt as far as their reasons behind this decision. We (or at least any of us who don't know them personally) have no idea what the motivation was here.

hlp728
06-23-2011, 03:08 AM
Since, Emily did not compete at all last season, could she skate for another country (like say with an uber cute and talented Canadian ice dancer named Paul Poirier)? Not sure if she would, but one can only hope.

pollyanna
06-23-2011, 03:19 AM
:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

I loved this team. :(

sap5
06-23-2011, 03:24 AM
Not really. You need a decent size difference now so the man can hurl the girl around for Level 4 lifts and the high PCS that go along with it.

Not really. V&M don't have much of a size difference, and as Scott put it, "usually hurling means [they're] not doing [their] jobs very well." http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/tessa-virtue-and-scott-moir-find-balance-on-the-green/article1675697/ ;)

Canton is the place to be if a team wants to learn how to get level 4 lifts and high PCS when there isn't that much of a size or strength difference.

Splitting because of lack of $, motivation, wanting to try something (or someone) new, etc., makes more sense to me.

Proustable
06-23-2011, 03:31 AM
Since, Emily did not compete at all last season, could she skate for another country (like say with an uber cute and talented Canadian ice dancer named Paul Poirier)? Not sure if she would, but one can only hope.

She would still need to be released by her federation, which is unlikely.

Bryce Davison, as a dual citizen, doesn't have that caveat (SC would be forced to release him, essentially), which is why he could immediately start skating for the USA should he find a partner there.