PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Jessica
06-22-2011, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=reese;3215810]But how is splitting up with your partner and starting over again with a new partner (Evan skating with Madison, for example) going to hypothetically produce better results? Results that can compete with the Shibs?
QUOTE]

This is what I don't get either. If one or the other decided to retire, I could see it, but to start over? S/B..were my favorite US dance team. While, they weren't the best, I found them to be utterly charming...on and off of the ice.

I'm with Blue Ridge...the Can-Can sisters it is..

Since B/A retired, they had become my favorite US dance team also. I just don't get the "looking for new partners." If Evan does skate with Madison, I really don't get it as IMO Emily is the better ice dancer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDEdgttb7bk&feature=related

:(:wuzrobbed

The guys are really losing it this off season. It`s like Hugh Grant looking on the streets, when he has Liz Hurley right at home.

Thanks Rainbow for posting this. However, it makes me sad knowing I won't see them skate any new programs including "An American in Paris."

I hope this is the end of the splits.

genevieve
06-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Not entirely analogous as G&P retired due to injury.

I thought they missed a season due to injury and then couldn't afford to go back to training full time?

letsskate
06-22-2011, 10:22 PM
I remember at 2010 Nationals, after seeing S/B's lines and postures.. lots people believe S/B will pass D/W in no time... maybe 2 years max.

manleywoman
06-22-2011, 10:38 PM
I thought they missed a season due to injury and then couldn't afford to go back to training full time?

IIRC, Melissa's mother was also terminally ill, so she took time off from training to spend time with her mom.

kwanette
06-22-2011, 10:41 PM

There were many issues..the worst being the illness of Melissa's mom.

But Denis and Melissa are still together despite what Sticky Nicky said..

Sylvia
06-22-2011, 10:44 PM
My compilation list of the current known status of US dance teams from 2011 Nationals:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3216050&postcount=226

reckless
06-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Not entirely analogous as G&P retired due to injury.

It's not completely analogous, but I'm sure G&P's decision was influenced by where they were in the Olympics cycle. I was just pointing out that this is a common time for turmoil. I also think that it affecting higher-level teams a bit more because U.S. ice dance has risen internationally.

kwanfan1818
06-22-2011, 10:54 PM
This also is a common time for teams to split up or retire. The first year after the Olympics is an assessment year, as teams deal with the post-Olympics landscape and see how they are viewed in the eyes of the judges. At that point, skaters have a sense of whether their current pairings will succeed or whether they need to make changes. Doing that gives them one year to get their bearings with a new partner, one year to make an impression in front of the judges, and one final season of grand prix events before the next Olympics.

Not to mention that the post-Olympics buzz is gone, and the reality of day-in-day-out/$$$ for the next three years is staring them in the face.

L'amour
06-22-2011, 11:01 PM
what a hell is happening :slinkaway

So Paul and Emely :) beatiful lines

Susan M
06-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Curious to see if a Chock/Bates partnership is in the work.
Chock is way too short for Bates. Mutt and Jeff may work in pairs, but dancers need to have better matching lines. Now if Charlie White is needing a new partner ... (Just kidding. Smack me.)

Of the other recently single dancers, Hubbell would be a better choice for Evan, though still not as strong as Emily. IMO there is something to this story we aren't seeing. Like say, has Evan started dating another ice dancer?

OlieRow
06-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Of the other recently single dancers, Hubbell would be a better choice for Evan, though still not as strong as Emily. IMO there is something to this story we aren't seeing. Like say, has Evan started dating another ice dancer?

For some reason I thought he was dating Bereswill, but that could be totally wrong.

Lanna
06-23-2011, 12:40 AM
:wuzrobbed

casken
06-23-2011, 12:43 AM
I haz a sad. :( Though there free dances weren't usually my favourites but their lines, flexibility and pointed toes were second to none. I really loved their 2008-2009 OD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNTFc65l_s
Here's a higher quality clip of that performance. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WilWQpqhuRU)The Brit EuroSport guys loved them. :)

But I agree with you that that OD(and that particular performance of it) was by far the best thing they had done in their short careers and it really showed what potential they had, given the right choreography and music. None of the top teams skated their OD's particularly well that year except for B&A, but their program itself was pretty weak, so I really felt that S&B stole the show and had the "performance" of the OD event at worlds.

It's really a shame they split. They had some of the nicest lines and best unison already and their potential seemed almost limitless.

Chock is way too short for Bates. Mutt and Jeff may work in pairs, but dancers need to have better matching lines.
Not really. You need a decent size difference now so the man can hurl the girl around for Level 4 lifts and the high PCS that go along with it. I actually think that's part of why we're seeing some of these splits. It's just teams accepting the fact that they will never be able to do certain elements as well as other better matched teams. So, it's better to start over with someone who is a stronger physical match than continue plugging away at something that's not going to work.

Of the other recently single dancers, Hubbell would be a better choice for Evan
Oh god no. Evan may be tall, but he's also a bean pole. It would not NOT work out well. Girl Hubbell needs someone as tall as Evan but with the build of a line backer if she's going to be a COP ice dancer.

Who would have thought looking at this photo (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/2008_WJC_Ice_Dancing_Podium.jpg)that Gorshkova and Butikov would be the last ones standing. :shuffle:

Aussie Willy
06-23-2011, 12:51 AM
I really liked them and they certainly hadn't reached their potential as a team. Shame that they are pulling the pin on the partnership.

Proustable
06-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Hmmm... not so sure. Cannuscio and Lorello had higher scores that Lichtman and Copely last season... Wingle and McKernan are working very hard to make a push this season. If Chock and Bates are together, then they will be a factor for pewter this season, I would imagine.

I initially did a top three. Then I remembered US Nationals has a pewter medal, and just tossed a team on that I remembered. I'm comfortable with that top three, though.