PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

DORISPULASKI
06-22-2011, 07:24 PM
I really liked C&L's Sd this season, and given that C&Z and S&B have split, I'd be happy with eithe C&L or Lynn & Logan in 3rd.

C&L SD at TEB. I particularly like their opening twizzles with the jump in, all on one foot, and done around the end of the rink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itz1xsWBoPA

The only thing I didn't like was his shirt ;)

BlueRidge
06-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Hmm, their initials could get confusing. I guess internationally, maybe they should be C&L-US. I loved the Piano Man SD.

modern_muslimah
06-22-2011, 07:38 PM
I was really hoping this was just a rumor. I'm sad that it's true. I really liked S/B since their SD from the 2008-09 season. I think An American in Paris would've been so good for them. :(

chipso1
06-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Question...if no new partnerships materialize, what might the US podium look like?

Davis/White, Shibutani/Shibutani, Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt, and Lichtman/Copely?

ETA: Not to mention Cannuscio/Lorello, Hubbell/Donohue and the maybe-sorta-or-just-someone's-dream pairing of Chock/Bates. The U.S. dance scene isn't looking that bad. :)

kwanette
06-22-2011, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=reese;3215810]But how is splitting up with your partner and starting over again with a new partner (Evan skating with Madison, for example) going to hypothetically produce better results? Results that can compete with the Shibs?
QUOTE]

This is what I don't get either. If one or the other decided to retire, I could see it, but to start over? S/B..were my favorite US dance team. While, they weren't the best, I found them to be utterly charming...on and off of the ice.

I'm with Blue Ridge...the Can-Can sisters it is..

BlueRidge
06-22-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm with Blue Ridge...the Can-Can sisters it is..

I really want a smiley for them! :lol:

DustPuppyOI
06-22-2011, 08:25 PM
I haz a sad. :( Though there free dances weren't usually my favourites but their lines, flexibility and pointed toes were second to none. I really loved their 2008-2009 OD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNTFc65l_s

DarrellH
06-22-2011, 08:49 PM
At this rate, the single skaters will start splitting with themselves...

"I'm here to announce that I can no longer skate with myself. I will weigh my options and decide later."

dinakt
06-22-2011, 08:57 PM
What a bummer. I was a fan of theirs and thought they matched up beautifully.
Good luck to both of them separately, but it's still sad to see a good thing gone.

Rainbow
06-22-2011, 09:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDEdgttb7bk&feature=related

:(:wuzrobbed

The guys are really losing it this off season. It`s like Hugh Grant looking on the streets, when he has Liz Hurley right at home.

leafygreens
06-22-2011, 09:34 PM
:wuzrobbed NOOOO hOO hoooo....

I loved their "Luna" program...

But I had a feeling that after last season sitting out, they were getting passed up by newer teams. But having to start all over with a new partner doesn't make sense.

The guys are really losing it this off season. It`s like Hugh Grant looking on the streets, when he has Liz Hurley right at home.

Perfect analogy.

I suspect Evan has already located his partner in his own backyard - Madison Chock. My heart goes out to Emily, who sat out last season preparing for their comeback. If only she had known to look for a partner then . . .

If true, this is very inconsiderate of Evan.

leafygreens
06-22-2011, 09:36 PM
This is partly the result of "The Shib Factor." While Davis/White will be likely entrenched as the USA's #1 dance team through Sochi, it's the quick ascendancy on the Worlds scene of the Shibutanis (bronze medal at their first Worlds!) that has made the other top-5 or top-6 senior US dance teams re-evaluate whether or not they have the $$$ and the willpower to stay in the game through Sochi. Once the hope of being even the #2 dance team in your country is dashed, then it just becomes a very, very expensive hobby. I cannot blame Emily/Evan, Chock/Z, the Hubbells, etc. for pulling out of the game. Save your money and see the world in other ways.

Very interesting opinion. And probably accurate. But the Shibs are so new, what if they don't continue their upward trajectory? All these teams will have broken up for naught.

reckless
06-22-2011, 09:47 PM
This also is a common time for teams to split up or retire. The first year after the Olympics is an assessment year, as teams deal with the post-Olympics landscape and see how they are viewed in the eyes of the judges. At that point, skaters have a sense of whether their current pairings will succeed or whether they need to make changes. Doing that gives them one year to get their bearings with a new partner, one year to make an impression in front of the judges, and one final season of grand prix events before the next Olympics.

IIRC, the 2007 off-season was somewhat similar. That year was the last for Matthews/Zavozin and Gregory/Pethukov at US Nats, and other teams split.

pat c
06-22-2011, 09:50 PM
This is really too bad. :(

BittyBug
06-22-2011, 10:02 PM
IIRC, the 2007 off-season was somewhat similar. That year was the last for Matthews/Zavozin and Gregory/Pethukov at US Nats, and other teams split.Not entirely analogous as G&P retired due to injury.