PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

VIETgrlTerifa
06-22-2011, 04:51 PM
So you all have one opinion?

BlueRidge
06-22-2011, 04:52 PM
I wonder if the Shibs shouldn't contract for personal security. At least if they skate in Europe.

allezfred
06-22-2011, 04:56 PM
I wonder if the Shibs shouldn't contract for personal security. At least if they skate in Europe.

Moscow is in Europe. They made it back just fine. ;)

I do think the Shibutanis medalling at Worlds might be a factor in all these US teams splitting though.

BlueRidge
06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Moscow is in Europe. They made it back just fine. ;)

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be careful.

ioana
06-22-2011, 04:59 PM
I so hoped it would have been the shibs spliting. Sam/Bates, despite I don't like any of their programs, had much more interesting lines / edge work. SAD :(

I would say Emily and Evan had nice and even beautiful lines that were well-matched. The Shibs were the ones with 'interesting' lines earlier in their career -as in, there's no way they could ever make this work with such a height difference. To their credit, they worked on matching their extensions and she grew a bit which helped. I thought they looked quite good come Worlds.

allezfred
06-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Doesn't mean they shouldn't be careful.

Maybe get their costumes made out of Kevlar? :lol:

BlueRidge
06-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Maybe get their costumes made out of Kevlar? :lol:

Now you've got your thinking cap on!

skatefan
06-22-2011, 05:04 PM
So you all have one opinion?
Nope, I think the Shibutanis are fabulous - have done since the first time I saw them :)

maggylyn
06-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Once the hope of being even the #2 dance team in your country is dashed, then it just becomes a very, very expensive hobby. I cannot blame Emily/Evan, Chock/Z, the Hubbells, etc. for pulling out of the game. Save your money and see the world in other ways.

Most of these ice-dancers, if not all, have said they're looking for new partners.

How does that save any money? It doesn't look like it was about money as much as just not wanting to skate with the current partners anymore. :(

BlueRidge
06-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Most of these ice-dancers, if not all, have said they're looking for new partners.

How does that save any money? It doesn't look like it was about money as much as just not wanting to skate with the current partners anymore. :(

Except for Chock & Zuerlein where he has retired from skating to pursue other things.

leigh466
06-22-2011, 05:52 PM
I hate this. So disappointing and sad. That's all.

Proustable
06-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Question...if no new partnerships materialize, what might the US podium look like?

1. Davis/White
2. Shibutani/Shibutani
3. Lynn/Logan (still can't spell their last names)
4. Lichtman/Copely

caseyedwards
06-22-2011, 05:55 PM
When S/B went to worlds in 2010 they didn't win Bronze. Internationally S/B would have been inferior to S/S probably. Even if they hadn't won bronze they would have been 4th and S/B were not near 4th. There is lots of tak about the S/S and this being because of S/S and that seems probable to me.

kirkbiggestfan
06-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Curious to see if a Chock/Bates partnership is in the work.

reese
06-22-2011, 06:01 PM
When S/B went to worlds in 2010 they didn't win Bronze. Internationally S/B would have been inferior to S/S probably. Even if they hadn't won bronze they would have been 4th and S/B were not near 4th. There is lots of tak about the S/S and this being because of S/S and that seems probable to me.

But how is splitting up with your partner and starting over again with a new partner (Evan skating with Madison, for example) going to hypothetically produce better results? Results that can compete with the Shibs?

The Shibs finished, what, 4th at Junior Worlds last year? And then they jump to 3rd at senior Worlds this year. Pretty amazing, yes, but it also indicates how fluid (comparatively) ice dance has become. With the Latin SD this season, who knows how the Shibs will do. I could imagine a situation where a non-split up Samuleson/Bates could have finished 3rd and 4th in their 2 falls GPs, and so could the Shibs. Then, going into Nationals, it's pretty close. I think the fall results will weigh more heavily on the Nats judges than the World bronze. But still, the Shibs are not unbeatable. Nor or Meryl and Charlie. Just ask Tanith/Ben about that kind of thing.