PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29

MarieM
07-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Evan, MAdison and Igor look like the villain to me here. A bit like stupid morons too. Sorry if I'm harsh, but I never really like partner swaping when one coach just takes advantage on a new teams he has made sure to get away from their previous base.

Proustable
07-03-2011, 06:37 PM
How do they look like stupid morons to you?

MarieM
07-03-2011, 06:39 PM
The way they're handling the PR for one thing. The fact they're taking for granted that the "switch" is all fans§judges are waiting for.
Just my opinion as I said.

fluorescein
07-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Well, given Igor's fondness for waif-like girls, I wouldn't be shocked if a concern for how well he can handle lifts didn't originate with Evan himself. A skinny guy who needs a serious physical therapy and weight training program could be encouraged/manipulated to think a partner even 1" shorter and 5 lbs lighter was a better solution. Obviously, nobody involved would admit to a scenario like that...

Jessica
07-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Well I suppose you are all wondering why I haven't posted anything yet. I just wanted things to settle down & see what was going to happen. To say we were shocked would be an understatement. We felt as a team they would go on to do great things. Also were hoping they continued together. We had made plans to go to Lake Placid & were looking to it but had to cancel. Now looking foward, we know that Emily will do well because she is determined to do so. Thats just her. The family & Em hope the best for Evan in whatever he does & we know Emily will, again thats just her. So on to the next chapter with best wishes. Reguarding Emily's direction nothing has been settled yet. She thanks all for the support the've shown. Gramps

Thanks for posting Gramps. I had been wondering if you would.

It appears Emily is taking the high road. I admire her for that. I loved the pairing of S & B but always thought she was the better skater of the two. Let her know how much her fans think of her and her skating. I really wish her the best in whatever she decides to do.

kwanfan1818
07-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Well, given Igor's fondness for waif-like girls, I wouldn't be shocked if a concern for how well he can handle lifts didn't originate with Evan himself. A skinny guy who needs a serious physical therapy and weight training program could be encouraged/manipulated to think a partner even 1" shorter and 5 lbs lighter was a better solution. Obviously, nobody involved would admit to a scenario like that...
That must be why Belbin, after moving to Linichuk, described how Linichuk made her add weight and muscle, and she described how before that, she was not strong enough to hold herself in lifts to help Agosto. Agosto had back problems over the years, which cost them at least one shot at the world title. Belbin being 5 lbs (or more) lighter really helped them. (Not).

The one thing that scared me about S/B's move to Z/S was that they'd try to make Samuelson into a twig and that she'd lose muscle and strength to look like Belbin when she skated for them. As much as I think Linichuk's programs were crap, :respec: to her for making Belbin gain muscle and strength. And Samuelson looks gorgeous the way she is.

Just to clarify a point, this happened after her first surgery (not the recent one).

After her 2008 surgery and the ensuing time off ice, they had to work really hard to regain their former ease with one another; in fact they worked extensively with a counsellor to re-establish and strengthen their communication and get back on the same page. I doubt that theirs would be a unique situation among skating couples.

Thank you for the correction!

nashvilledancer
07-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Also, is there such a thing as a "respectable wait" anymore? Between this one and D/C, I've noticed one stupid move: both [new] teams announced their partnerships very shortly after the second split was announced. To me, both of these quick turnarounds seemed really crummy for the abandoned partner.

Seems like that to me, too. One thing that can happen is that a reporter has been ferreting around and informs the parties involved that he's about to spill the beans in the media. No evidence that happened here, but there was a circumstance a few years ago where a split needed to be announced at the worst possible minute for just that reason.

triple_toe
07-03-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm so confused at all this talk about how Emily is "bigger". She seems just as skinny as any of the girls at Canton (except for Meryl :yikes:). I mean the girl is pretty damn skinny (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8478284.stm) so I don't see how Igor would want to turn her into a waif since there isn't any weight for her to lose. And Igor and Marina are obviously capable of working with girls who aren't teeny tiny, since they were able to construct lifts for Tessa & Scott and Tessa isn't the twig she once was (a good thing, IMO). Emily is absolutely GORGEOUS with her long legs and red hair. Girl is sexy and has pretty much the perfect body.

FSfan107
07-03-2011, 09:45 PM
^
I agree about Emily. I love her long lines. She looks healthy and fit. Tessa looked gorgeous at Worlds this year.

stjeaskategym
07-03-2011, 09:48 PM
I don't think you can really compare injuries the hand, and Evan's. A hand injury can happen anywhere but it sounds like Evan felt the lifts were too difficult for awhile..

Unless I missed it, I don't recall hearing anything about that. The injury he sustained was just as much as a fluke as Emily's hand injury. Even if it hadn't been a fluke, the timing of this makes it seem like this was primarily due to Madison becoming available rather than because there was something actually wrong with skating with Emily. S/B were scheduled to skate in a show and were registered for a competition...I seriously doubt this injury situation was wreaking tremendous havoc on their partnership. Maybe Evan just feels he can be more well received with Madison. Only he knows for sure.

Also, is there such a thing as a "respectable wait" anymore? Between this one and D/C, I've noticed one stupid move: both [new] teams announced their partnerships very shortly after the second split was announced. To me, both of these quick turnarounds seemed really crummy for the abandoned partner.

I agree, it may have been better to wait before announcing the new partnerships. But they don't skate in isolation, and it was already starting to leak out... It's not something that can be kept a secret for long, especially if they are already planning on competing during the summer.

LilJen
07-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Well I suppose you are all wondering why I haven't posted anything yet. I just wanted things to settle down & see what was going to happen. To say we were shocked would be an understatement. We felt as a team they would go on to do great things. Also were hoping they continued together. We had made plans to go to Lake Placid & were looking to it but had to cancel. Now looking foward, we know that Emily will do well because she is determined to do so. Thats just her. The family & Em hope the best for Evan in whatever he does & we know Emily will, again thats just her. So on to the next chapter with best wishes. Reguarding Emily's direction nothing has been settled yet. She thanks all for the support the've shown. Gramps

Gramps, I'm glad you chimed in. I'm still so sad over the situation, so I can't imagine how you and Emily and the rest of the family feel!!! I'm sure those of us on the outside will never understand the full story behind everything, and that's OK.

Earnestly hoping for a new partner for Emily who's just as awesome as she is. And hoping federations/citizenships/other goofy rules don't prevent this from happening.

Yvy
07-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Is Bates actually aware that Samuelson is a better dancer than Chock?

bek
07-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Unless I missed it, I don't recall hearing anything about that. The injury he sustained was just as much as a fluke as Emily's hand injury. Even if it hadn't been a fluke, the timing of this makes it seem like this was primarily due to Madison becoming available rather than because there was something actually wrong with skating with Emily. S/B were scheduled to skate in a show and were registered for a competition...I seriously doubt this injury situation was wreaking tremendous havoc on their partnership. Maybe Evan just feels he can be more well received with Madison. Only he knows for sure.

I thought people were speculating that the reason for split was that the new partner would be much easier to lift. Not because Emily is so big but because Madison is so much shorter.

The thing is I can't say for sure but given his injuries, I can see why that would be a serious consideration. I do feel bad for Emily, and think the situation sucks for her. But if that is Evan's reason for splitting, its a legitimate reason. Of course we don't know that's the reason.

OrioleBeagle
07-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Is Emily still training with Igor and Marina or has she gone back to Yasa & Yuri? Does anyone know if she has had any tryouts with potential partners?

Susan M
07-04-2011, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if a concern for how well he can handle lifts didn't originate with Evan himself.

Actually, I think that concern began on boards like this. Can anyone please direct me to the quote where Evan said he was concerned about handling lifts (or from which that can be inferred)?