PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29

stjeaskategym
07-02-2011, 07:45 PM
He gave a PC statement. He didn't want to come off as a jerk and didn't want to blame Emily. Although, it comes across as him blaming Emily.

Yup... I know Evan needs to be able to somewhat explain the split to others in a way that makes himself look good and is also respectful towards Emily, but unfortunately no matter what he says, it will come across as Emily being the problem/reason for the split. At least he has the tough injury situation and can provide that as the main reason for this split, so their story is not as cringeworthy as the Coughlin/Denney "John retired, but then Caydee magically appeared" story.

just wondering
07-02-2011, 08:22 PM
To me, both the pairs & dance press releases are sanitized versions of the true underlying events. It appears the dance group learned from the pairs media mess how best to spin the split; or perhaps they already knew and were prepared from the start to adroitly manage their sudden split & quick rebound pairing.
I have been privy to the detailed facts of matters in a few high-profile events in my area (not related to skating) where the public version is a mere shell, and in one instance a mere shadow, of the truth behind the scenes.

These icenetwork versions have all the earmarkings of cleaned-up and packaged statements, which is fine, because no real travesty occurs when we don't know the whole truth behind these events. I guess I'm just a nibby-nose and would like to know what motivates people to make these types of dramatic changes.:D

As an aside, Caitlyn & Emily make me wish skating were more like golf & tennis. Then these fine skaters could re-partner without interference from significant Federation-controlled strings.

victoriaheidi
07-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I think it's not impossible that there could have been a psychological/trust component. While what occurred was an accident, sports psychologists do exist for a reason. It's one possibility beyond "Evan is a selfish, short-sighted jacka$$ and Igor finds Madison more partnerworthy than Emily."

You have a point, and it's a possibility. It's the waiting around part that bugs me (and the teaming up with Madison Chock, but I really don't suspect that she did what I believe Caydee Denney did). Like, if he went through therapy and KNEW he couldn't trust her, he should have let her go sooner and let her find a partner.

Also, is there such a thing as a "respectable wait" anymore? Between this one and D/C, I've noticed one stupid move: both [new] teams announced their partnerships very shortly after the second split was announced. To me, both of these quick turnarounds seemed really crummy for the abandoned partner.

kwanfan1818
07-02-2011, 09:31 PM
If that's the reason and, not to sound too snipey, I guess Emily (and we can name others) had a better ability to regain trust of her partner after he sliced her hand.
People are wired differently. Regaining trust or a connection is a two-person enterprise, and it may be possible that their dynamic was successful given what each needed when Samuelson was hurt but not the other way around.

He gave a PC statement. He didn't want to come off as a jerk and didn't want to blame Emily. Although, it comes across as him blaming Emily.
I don't see this. A relationship is between two people, and stating that it was no longer working isn't, by definition, blame.

Like, if he went through therapy and KNEW he couldn't trust her, he should have let her go sooner and let her find a partner.
In a Maclean's article this winter, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir described how after her latest surgery, they stopped contacting each other, and it was very difficult for them to regain their connection. Bates was back on the ice with Samuelson in March; his choices were to decide immediately that it wasn't working, or to try to work out the issues. Had he dropped her in March, he would have been accused of giving up without working on it.

I love Samuelson and Yankowskas, and am neutral on Bates and Coughlin, but while I'm sad they don't have world-level partners, if it isn't really working with their old ones, I wouldn't wish those old relationships on either.

OrioleBeagle
07-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know where Emily is training now?

cruisin
07-02-2011, 09:32 PM
To me, both of these quick turnarounds seemed really crummy for the abandoned partner.

This happens more often than you would think. One partner already has the new one in the bag before the split happens. They deny it, they write "sanitized" (good word "just wondering") announcements, protecting themselves, and then everyone speculates. Sometimes the speculations are even fueled, on message boards, by people with a vested interest, to make it seem like it's one partner's fault.

Obviously, we don't know what happened here. But the sudden split, the fact that Evan didn't have a problem while Emily waited, but NOW the pieces don't fit, and the fact that only hours passed before the pairing with Chock was announced - it all sounds pretty damning that Emily was clueless and got dumped. When this happens with a short term team, it's tough. But when it happens with a team that's been together for a long time, it's devastating.

cruisin
07-02-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't see this. A relationship is between two people, and stating that it was no longer working isn't, by definition, blame.

By definition, you are right. But, in light of the injury, (for me at least) it comes across as blame.

kwanfan1818
07-02-2011, 09:36 PM
By definition, you are right. But, in light of the injury, (for me at least) it comes across as blame.
I'm still not seeing this. It could just as well be, "It's not you -- it's me." Doesn't matter if it's not working for both of them.

MacMadame
07-02-2011, 10:38 PM
I also think the tone of the quoted parties sounds overall far more like a case of making lemonade from lemons than anything we've heard from John, Caydee and Dalilah, but that's just my interpretation.
Yes, in fact the press release was actually rather strange. There was no "we started skating and clicked right away" and/or "we're making fabulous progress" types of quotes. It comes across more as "I couldn't make it work with Emily so I figure why not try someone else. If it doesn't work with her, she's no worse off than if I hadn't."

Plus I got a lot of "I'm in a weird place right now" vibes from the whole PR, which is definitely more on Evan than on Emily.

flowerpower
07-02-2011, 10:58 PM
In a Maclean's article this winter, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir described how after her latest surgery, they stopped contacting each other, and it was very difficult for them to regain their connection.

Just to clarify a point, this happened after her first surgery (not the recent one).

After her 2008 surgery and the ensuing time off ice, they had to work really hard to regain their former ease with one another; in fact they worked extensively with a counsellor to re-establish and strengthen their communication and get back on the same page. I doubt that theirs would be a unique situation among skating couples.

Just speculating here, but when kids have grown up skating together from a young age, communication might be automatic, but not something they are used to "working at". Then suddenly you have a major problem (severe injury, significant time off, career in jeopardy) and they don't know how to talk about it and work it through as adults. V/M said that the counselling was very helpful and they learned how to communicate better than ever as a result, but it definitely took a lot of time and effort. After her second surgery they were fine, having learned how to deal with it first time around.

Gramps
07-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Well I suppose you are all wondering why I haven't posted anything yet. I just wanted things to settle down & see what was going to happen. To say we were shocked would be an understatement. We felt as a team they would go on to do great things. Also were hoping they continued together. We had made plans to go to Lake Placid & were looking to it but had to cancel. Now looking foward, we know that Emily will do well because she is determined to do so. Thats just her. The family & Em hope the best for Evan in whatever he does & we know Emily will, again thats just her. So on to the next chapter with best wishes. Reguarding Emily's direction nothing has been settled yet. She thanks all for the support the've shown. Gramps

OlieRow
07-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Well I suppose you are all wondering why I haven't posted anything yet. I just wanted things to settle down & see what was going to happen. To say we were shocked would be an understatement. We felt as a team they would go on to do great things. Also were hoping they continued together. We had made plans to go to Lake Placid & were looking to it but had to cancel. Now looking foward, we know that Emily will do well because she is determined to do so. Thats just her. The family & Em hope the best for Evan in whatever he does & we know Emily will, again thats just her. So on to the next chapter with best wishes. Reguarding Emily's direction nothing has been settled yet. She thanks all for the support the've shown. Gramps

Gramps, thanks for chiming in to clear things up. I hope Emily knows how many people are rooting for her.

Conga
07-03-2011, 02:41 PM
People are wired differently. Regaining trust or a connection is a two-person enterprise, and it may be possible that their dynamic was successful given what each needed when Samuelson was hurt but not the other way around.

Yeah, well, it doesn't sound like there was much effort on Evan's part to work things out. In any relationship, that usually means that person has no interest in doing so and the blame comes from how it's handled. Judging from Gramps post I think there's enough blame to be placed on both Evan and the coaching team. This was a long-term partnership and Emily deserved better. Glad to hear Gramps knows his granddaughter to be strong and I wish her the best.

~tapdancer~
07-03-2011, 04:01 PM
I know we all like to discuss these things but the blame game doesn't accomplish much. It is what it is and I hope they both accomplish what they want to achieve.

Thanks, Gramps, for your post.

bek
07-03-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't think you can really compare injuries the hand, and Evan's. A hand injury can happen anywhere but it sounds like Evan felt the lifts were too difficult for awhile.. Only Evan in the end can know if his body can handle those lifts with Emily. It may be that a shorter partner is the best option for Evan to have a long career. Coming up with that decision which may be best for his health(he never struck me as the strongest guy) And frankly that decison may be the best for Emily's health if Evan really does feel that uncomfortable.
There are some other fairly strong partners in Canton.