PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29

hlp728
07-01-2011, 03:47 AM
She certainly would have to get used to his height and center of gravity, having danced with someone so tall.

He's very strong, though. I'm not sure Bates weighs that much more than he.

Wikipedia says Paul is 5"9 1/2 and Emily is 5"4.

Just a little observation, but if Emily and Paul paired up, they would be the team with the best (http://fyfigureskating.tumblr.com/post/4188193344/vanessa-crone-and-paul-poirier-at-the-2011-four) butts (http://www.flickr.com/photos/usfsa/5882254476/in/set-72157626946384433) IMO.

Allen
07-01-2011, 03:54 AM
Just a little observation, but if Emily and Paul paired up, they would be the team with the best (http://fyfigureskating.tumblr.com/post/4188193344/vanessa-crone-and-paul-poirier-at-the-2011-four) butts (http://www.flickr.com/photos/usfsa/5882254476/in/set-72157626946384433) IMO.

I'll admit to having impure thoughts about Paul's butt. I don't think I ever realized, though, that Emily had such a nice booty.

Susan M
07-01-2011, 03:54 AM
it's not really accurate to say that Evan has more opportunities for funding because he's a boy.

Funding would be equal, but the original poster also mentioned money the boy could earn himself doing things like "coaching dance and partnering tests at the lower levels". Any rink of any size has oodles of girls in need of males to dance and test with. I would guess, though, that once guys reach the highest levels, their time is spent on their own training only.

cruisin
07-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Funding would be equal, but the original poster also mentioned money the boy could earn himself doing things like "coaching dance and partnering tests at the lower levels". Any rink of any size has oodles of girls in need of males to dance and test with. I would guess, though, that once guys reach the highest levels, their time is spent on their own training only.

That used to be more true. However, since USFS passed the rule that female coaches can take their female students and male coaches can take their male students through tests, it's not as much of an obstacle. Though, if there is a male dance coach at a rink, most female coaches will ask them to take their students through tests. Also, students can take tests via the solo track, if they are not competitive or expect to get a partner.

shutterbug
07-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Could he already be actively looking for a partner, or would SC not expect that till he can be back on the ice 100%?

I cant imagine hed start looking for a partner until he was well enough to do try outs. He looked quite good back in mid-May, but was obviously not ready to start jumping yet. Not sure how critical being able to attempt SBS jumps is to the try out process. To my mind, the lifts, twists and throws would be the big items.

He's very strong, though. I'm not sure Bates weighs that much more than he.

Wikipedia says Paul is 5"9 1/2 and Emily is 5"4.

Paul is a beast. :lol: No doubt hes strong enough to handle a bigger girl. I was thinking more in terms of esthetics. He and Vanessa were such a perfect match height wise. Paul could get his shoulders up over hers (without having to hunch!) giving him the appearance of being in the lead. With Emily being an inch taller than Vanessa it would be a bit more difficult to get the same controlled look.

Rafter
07-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I could be wrong but I don't see Poirier & Samuelson having matching leg lines. It's all moot anyway because neither federation will release either of these skaters.

jessiesk8r
07-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Offical announcement is now posted on IceNetwork...

Sylvia
07-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Offical announcement is now posted on IceNetwork...
I've posted the article in the Chock/Bates thread - direct link is: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3224706#post3224706

Conga
07-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I've posted the article in the Chock/Bates thread - direct link is: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3224706#post3224706

I will echo those that feel badly for Emily and are saddened by the S/B split. Their matching leg line and unison were IMO the very best in the field. I was looking forward to seeing their American in Paris FD because I thought it was a perfect choice for them and I can only hope this new C/B teaming will not be using it.

victoriaheidi
07-02-2011, 05:07 PM
I will echo those that feel badly for Emily and are saddened by the S/B split. Their matching leg line and unison were IMO the very best in the field. I was looking forward to seeing their American in Paris FD because I thought it was a perfect choice for them and I can only hope this new C/B teaming will not be using it.

What I find frustrating is that, as far as we all see, Emily spent all season sitting around and waiting for Evan, only to have him switch over to Madison when the season ended.

I definitely don't think that this was part of their plan when they switched to S/Z, but I still don't get what the heck would compel him to leave a girl who sat out a whole year for him.

If half of what you guys are saying about US men who do pairs/dance is true, they all need a serious ego check. And this whole thing needs to be a soap opera.

reese
07-02-2011, 05:44 PM
If the article is true, it is pretty obnoxious on Evan's part. I'm sure there was more going on behind the scenes, and this kind of press release is notoriously fact-free, but we're supposed to believe he got back on the ice, started skating with Emily again, and things didn't feel right? In his words "when I got back on the ice and tried to put the pieces back together, they didn't seem to fit the same way." Well you haven't skated with her for almost a year! Of course it's going to feel awkward. This girl sat on her hands for a year (while she was in her absolute prime) waiting for you to recover. It's pretty clear if they situation was reversed, Evan wouldn't have done the same for Emily. Sheesh. Like the Yankowskas/Coughlin/Denney situation, I have a feeling this break up and immediate re-teaming has been in the works for a while. Igor and Delilah are experts at this kind of thing. I hope Emily and Caitlin ultimately find wonderful, respectful new partners who realize how lucky they are. But I won't keep my fingers crossed for it to happen in time for the upcoming season.

Ziggy
07-02-2011, 05:48 PM
If the article is true, it is pretty obnoxious on Evan's part. I'm sure there was more going on behind the scenes, and this kind of press release is notoriously fact-free, but we're supposed to believe he got back on the ice, started skating with Emily again, and things didn't feel right? In his words "when I got back on the ice and tried to put the pieces back together, they didn't seem to fit the same way." Well you haven't skated with her for almost a year! Of course it's going to feel awkward. This girl sat on her hands for a year (while she was in her absolute prime) waiting for you to recover. It's pretty clear if they situation was reversed, Evan wouldn't have done the same for Emily. Sheesh. Like the Yankowskas/Coughlin/Denney situation, I have a feeling this break up and immediate re-teaming has been in the works for a while. Igor and Delilah are experts at this kind of thing. I hope Emily and Caitlin ultimately find wonderful, respectful new partners who realize how lucky they are. But I won't keep my fingers crossed for it to happen in time for the upcoming season.

I feel exactly the same way.

Just like the Y/C break-up, this also looks extremely fishy.

I keep my fingers crossed for Emily and Caitlin.

They are both absolutely gorgeous skaters and they deserve better!

lavenderblue
07-02-2011, 06:01 PM
I definitely don't think that this was part of their plan when they switched to S/Z, but I still don't get what the heck would compel him to leave a girl who sat out a whole year for him.

I think it's not impossible that there could have been a psychological/trust component. While what occurred was an accident, sports psychologists do exist for a reason. It's one possibility beyond "Evan is a selfish, short-sighted jacka$$ and Igor finds Madison more partnerworthy than Emily."

I also think the tone of the quoted parties sounds overall far more like a case of making lemonade from lemons than anything we've heard from John, Caydee and Dalilah, but that's just my interpretation.

Conga
07-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I think it's not impossible that there could have been a psychological/trust component. While what occurred was an accident, sports psychologists do exist for a reason. It's one possibility beyond "Evan is a selfish, short-sighted jacka$$ and Igor finds Madison more partnerworthy than Emily."

If that's the reason and, not to sound too snipey, I guess Emily (and we can name others) had a better ability to regain trust of her partner after he sliced her hand. Yes, there are many reasons for teams to split. I just wish this one didn't.

cruisin
07-02-2011, 06:50 PM

I don't think it was a plan when they went to S/Z. But I do think the plan germinated when Zuerlain announced his retirement plans.

If half of what you guys are saying about US men who do pairs/dance is true, they all need a serious ego check. And this whole thing needs to be a soap opera.

I assure you it is true. Not every boy, but enough that it's a problem.

If the article is true, it is pretty obnoxious on Evan's part. I'm sure there was more going on behind the scenes, and this kind of press release is notoriously fact-free, but we're supposed to believe he got back on the ice, started skating with Emily again, and things didn't feel right? In his words "when I got back on the ice and tried to put the pieces back together, they didn't seem to fit the same way."

He gave a PC statement. He didn't want to come off as a jerk and didn't want to blame Emily. Although, it comes across as him blaming Emily.

Not more partner worthy. But, Madison was Igor's for a while, she has the look and technique he wants. He provided a new partner for his girl. He had no loyalty to Emily.