PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

shutterbug
06-30-2011, 03:40 PM
So how about this:
Yankowskas and Davison (if healthy) pair up
Samuelson and Porier pair up

Canada gets one and US the other?
That seems fair!
(shoddy S and P!)

:lol: We need to have a Can-Am mixer. Now to get Skate Canada & the USFSA on board with the idea…….I wonder if Emily is not a bit tall for Paul though? FWIW, Bryce is still on the June 1/11 list of athletes receiving funding from Sport Canada. To qualify for funding while out of competition for longer than 4 months injured athletes are required to provide medical documentation verifying that a return to the previous level of competition is expected within 8 – 12 months.

maggylyn
06-30-2011, 03:50 PM
FWIW, Bryce is still on the June 1/11 list of athletes receiving funding from Sport Canada. To qualify for funding while out of competition for longer than 4 months injured athletes are required to provide medical documentation verifying that a return to the previous level of competition is expected within 8 – 12 months.

Interesting.

Could he already be actively looking for a partner, or would SC not expect that till he can be back on the ice 100%?

Yvy
06-30-2011, 05:30 PM
There are dowries in skating? :eek: Who knew?

It's been around for a long time. particularly when a US-girl is paired with a former CIS countries man, Ukraine, Russia, or the like. Gigolos in skating who behave like kings. So sorry for Emily.

kwanfan1818
06-30-2011, 05:46 PM
I wonder if Emily is not a bit tall for Paul though?
She certainly would have to get used to his height and center of gravity, having danced with someone so tall.

He's very strong, though. I'm not sure Bates weighs that much more than he.

victoriaheidi
06-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Oh, it's gotta be Ethan Frome. Can't you just see someone bringing a sled onto the ice?

Psh. My sister just started the book (it's junior-level summer reading at my former HS, and I'm forcing her to read that one because it was my favorite that year), so this made me chuckle.

kwanfan1818
06-30-2011, 06:17 PM
If she likes it, she should read "Summer" next.

victoriaheidi
06-30-2011, 06:28 PM
^I'll tell her that. Thanks!

literaryfreak
06-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Oh, it's gotta be Ethan Frome. Can't you just see someone bringing a sled onto the ice?

Balancing a pickle dish....

skfan
06-30-2011, 09:54 PM
If she likes it, she should read "Summer" next.

i want to see 'summer on ice.' casting, anybody? :)

i also like the idea of the can-am mixer. after all, some sort of deal was cooked up so voloshozar (sp) could skate with trankov. here in N. Am we can do that stuff too :D

Cloudy_Gumdrops
06-30-2011, 10:14 PM
So how about this:
Yankowskas and Davison (if healthy) pair up
Samuelson and Porier pair up

Canada gets one and US the other?
That seems fair!
(shoddy S and P!)

I could go for that.

We get the pair and Canada gets the dance team.

:lol:

emason
06-30-2011, 11:29 PM

And steering it right into the judges.

cruisin
06-30-2011, 11:58 PM
I think there is a universal tendency to think "the grass is greener in that field"

Of course the reality may just be that the "manure has been spread thicker" :eek:

:lol: But sadly, it's true.

For real? Don't think that happens so much up North. All the teams I know have partners that each pay their own way. In the interest of building balanced partnerships, this would be the best approach. You'd have to think one partner paying for the other could get awkward. And I can't see how the "highest bidder" idea can result in winning teams, even if the girl's parents have money to throw away. There is so much that goes into a good team: physcial match, skill match (or the ability to have a skill match), ability to sync training styles and expectations, work ethic, personality match, common goals and expectations, common commitment to the coaching team. If those things all work, then figure out the money part. But if money is the determining factor, I can't imagine winning teams are the result.

It does happen up north, I know of several instances. You may not even realize it's happening. The girl may not even know it's happening. As I said, up thread, there are coaches who charge the girl more than the boy, and they don't know it. It can also be very subtle, the girl and boy get billed, the girl pays, the boy sort of never gets around to it. And then as Yvi said, you get "imported" boys and they get everything paid for. Starting with the $50,000 - $60,000 paid to the federation for their release.

The ability to self-fund skating is much greater for boys than girls, although it is possible for both. For someone as talented and senior level like Evan, who also I would imagine would get some funding from USFSA, he could probably earn most or all of his skating expenses by coaching dance and partnering tests at the lower levels. I know a lot of male skaters from the North that have done that.

Some skaters have funding from organizations. I.E.: Companies, groups who support a specific sport. Also, at the elite level they get money, different amounts for Team A, B, C, etc.

MacMadame
07-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Btw, USFS is not giving Evan any money they aren't giving his partner. At some time in the past, Emily and Evan (and Madison for that matter) probably got money from the Memorial Fund, but how knows who got more or less or if they all got the same. They have been together 11 years so I think, for most of that time, their funding from outside sources would be pretty equal because people are funding the team, not the individuals in it.

Therefore, it's not really accurate to say that Evan has more opportunities for funding because he's a boy.

kwanette
07-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Btw, USFS is not giving Evan any money they aren't giving his partner. At some time in the past, Emily and Evan (and Madison for that matter) probably got money from the Memorial Fund, but how knows who got more or less or if they all got the same. They have been together 11 years so I think, for most of that time, their funding from outside sources would be pretty equal because people are funding the team, not the individuals in it.

Therefore, it's not really accurate to say that Evan has more opportunities for funding because he's a boy.

If people donate to the NEAFSA, you can earmark your donation to one member of a dance/pair team. The monies in the accts of a dance or pair team are kept separate. I've done that.

cruisin
07-01-2011, 12:38 AM

Yes, USFS gives a specific amount to an individual athlete or team, the amount depends on their envelope. In the case of teams, the USFS gives 1/2 directly to each partner. They do not get an amount which they must split. As far as Memorial fund, I believe it is based on need and ranking, and one must apply. I do not think preferential treatment is given to the boys. Also, with private sponsorship, the team is given raised money. It is up to the team to determine who gets what percentage and how it is spent. It could be used to pay hotel bills or for equipment. Sometimes, with donated money, they require receipts to prove the money is being used appropriately. But, that doesn't change the fact that many boys in pairs and dance are subsidized by their partners, knowingly or not.