PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

cruisin
06-30-2011, 02:34 AM
AFAIR, the lifts are often developed with consultants from Cirque du Soleil.

And cruisin, I would be interested to know which S&Z teams you think were overgraded at US Nationals.

I'd rather not say here. I'll PM you.

Proustable
06-30-2011, 03:16 AM
I'd rather not say here. I'll PM you.

Me too!

agalisgv
06-30-2011, 03:19 AM
Have to agree with cruisin--it's not exactly news that the female half of the team usually fronts the $$$ for the guy in a big way. So maybe Bates got a better $$$ deal with Chock--who knows?

dancefan17
06-30-2011, 03:30 AM
The Bates family is more than able to pay for Evan's skating without assistance-- he was not in need of a "better deal."

hlp728
06-30-2011, 03:48 AM
Still sad about Emily and Evan breaking up. Curious to see what kind of programs Madison and Evan will do.

Emily and Evan have had two serious accidents while skating the first where he skated over her hand/finger during a Jr. competition and then she sliced his achilles tendon last. That's a lot to deal with.

My skating wish for the next season is that Emily finds an excellent partner that suits her and takes her skating to a higher level. If she finds a new parner, will she stay with Igor? Depends, i guess on several factors.

Proustable
06-30-2011, 03:50 AM
The Bates family is more than able to pay for Evan's skating without assistance-- he was not in need of a "better deal."

After all, don't they own that motel? Or is that just the mother?

Mayra
06-30-2011, 03:51 AM
Wrong thread...

Vagabond
06-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Watching skating this season is going to be like attending a party in one of Edith Wharton's later novels, where everyone is divorced and remarried to new people.

Wyliefan, I think you may have inspired a few music choices for Free Dance programs -- The Age of Innocence, The House of Mirth, Ethan Frome, or -- to go off on a Pinteresque tangent -- Betrayal. :respec:

The Accordion
06-30-2011, 07:38 AM
So how about this:
Yankowskas and Davison (if healthy) pair up
Samuelson and Porier pair up

Canada gets one and US the other?
That seems fair!
(shoddy S and P!)

VIETgrlTerifa
06-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Oh, I wish that would happen in reality. If by some miracle this did happen, what would be the better deal? The ice dance or the pairs team? I know the USFS needs an outstanding pairs team much more than an ice dance team at the moment, but Davison is a question mark in terms of his health.

MacMadame
06-30-2011, 11:26 AM
I think one of the reasons Evan was injured is the insane points-gathering lifts that the Canton skaters do.
Except Emily got injured before they came to Canton when Evan skated over her finger.

Accidents happen in skating especially in ice dance and pairs where you not only have to worry about what you are doing on the ice, but coordinate it with another skater.

Wyliefan
06-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Wyliefan, I think you may have inspired a few music choices for Free Dance programs -- The Age of Innocence, The House of Mirth, Ethan Frome, or -- to go off on a Pinteresque tangent -- Betrayal. :respec:

Oh, it's gotta be Ethan Frome. Can't you just see someone bringing a sled onto the ice?

cruisin
06-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Except Emily got injured before they came to Canton when Evan skated over her finger.

Accidents happen in skating especially in ice dance and pairs where you not only have to worry about what you are doing on the ice, but coordinate it with another skater.

Absolutely! The fans only hear about the more serious injuries. But, in dance and pairs, partner's shins get spiked, partners get dropped (you'd be surprised how many concussions happen in both pairs and dance), legs get sliced, hands get sliced, partner's feet get caught, or one of them goes out of unison, and they go down. Collisions happen with other skaters, and when a team is in a lift, that can hurt! But, unless a muscle or major tendon is damaged, or the concussion requires off time, you don't hear about it.

Carolla5501
06-30-2011, 01:53 PM
What is it about US males dropping gorgeous partners? I can ony hope that they see some possibilities in their new partnerships that I don't see due to my ignorance. But my fear and instinct are that those splits are professional mistakes.

I think there is a universal tendency to think "the grass is greener in that field"

Of course the reality may just be that the "manure has been spread thicker" :eek:

NorthernDancers
06-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Have to agree with cruisin--it's not exactly news that the female half of the team usually fronts the $$$ for the guy in a big way. So maybe Bates got a better $$$ deal with Chock--who knows?

For real? Don't think that happens so much up North. All the teams I know have partners that each pay their own way. In the interest of building balanced partnerships, this would be the best approach. You'd have to think one partner paying for the other could get awkward. And I can't see how the "highest bidder" idea can result in winning teams, even if the girl's parents have money to throw away. There is so much that goes into a good team: physcial match, skill match (or the ability to have a skill match), ability to sync training styles and expectations, work ethic, personality match, common goals and expectations, common commitment to the coaching team. If those things all work, then figure out the money part. But if money is the determining factor, I can't imagine winning teams are the result.

The ability to self-fund skating is much greater for boys than girls, although it is possible for both. For someone as talented and senior level like Evan, who also I would imagine would get some funding from USFSA, he could probably earn most or all of his skating expenses by coaching dance and partnering tests at the lower levels. I know a lot of male skaters from the North that have done that.