PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

marbri
06-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Well I can sort of see that visually Madison and Evan might be a more interesting pair then he was with Emily. Visually I think they have the potential to be much more compelling. Technically I trust their coaches know their capabilities and see more of a furture for this new pairing then the original one. Evan also must have agreed to make the switch.

I'm more interested in seeing what they do with a Madison/Evan partnership then I was with the return of Emily/Evan. Emily and Greg were the least interesting of the partners for me personally. Not that the other two are terribly interesting but again I'm really curious to see what they do with those two.

Hanna
06-29-2011, 08:42 PM
(((((Emily))))) :wuzrobbed She deserves the best. I really really wish she could find a great partner and kick Evan's ass in future competitions.

Same for Yankowskas.

US guys for dumping their :kickass: partners. -> :blah:

kia_4EverOnIce
06-29-2011, 08:45 PM
(((((Emily))))) :wuzrobbed She deserves the best. I really really wish she could find a great partner and kick Evan's ass in future competitions.

Same for Yankowskas.

US guys for dumping their :kickass: partners. -> :blah:

though I know I should be saying (politically correct, etc) "I don't know the situation, who knows what's happened, etc..." I totally agree with you!!!

(((Emily & Caitlin)))

btw, why so many splitting among US best couples?!? :(

Susan M
06-29-2011, 09:57 PM
btw, why so many splitting among US best couples?!? :(

Because in the US, male partners are such a rare commodity that the skating world treats them with attention and affection bordering on indulgence from an early age, which tends to breed a sense of entitlement and a lofty view of their own importance by the time they reach GP level. This makes it difficult to maintain any reasonable balance in the partnership. So, either the girl has to let him have his way with important decisions (coaches, rink, music) or they end up bickering a lot. Sooner or later, one or the other can't take it anymore.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying this is the case for any specific couple, but is a general description of stories we have heard over the years.)

I think it does not help that as soon as the young man shows any special talent, folks (other coaches, busybodies at the USFS) start pushing him to find another partner who is better/prettier. It creates a basic mindset that changing partners is just part of the process.

dinakt
06-29-2011, 10:04 PM
I have to confess to not understanding it. I always thought Emily was a very sexy girl with amazing lines and edges and that she matched Evan's long legs/extension/expression/ and pretty much everything else beautifully.
What is it about US males dropping gorgeous partners? I can ony hope that they see some possibilities in their new partnerships that I don't see due to my ignorance. But my fear and instinct are that those splits are professional mistakes.

reese
06-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Because in the US, male partners are such a rare commodity that the skating world treats them with attention and affection bordering on indulgence from an early age, which tends to breed a sense of entitlement and a lofty view of their own importance by the time they reach GP level. This makes it difficult to maintain any reasonable balance in the partnership. So, either the girl has to let him have his way with important decisions (coaches, rink, music) or they end up bickering a lot. Sooner or later, one or the other can't take it anymore.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying this is the case for any specific couple, but is a general description of stories we have heard over the years.)

I think it does not help that as soon as the young man shows any special talent, folks (other coaches, busybodies at the USFS) start pushing him to find another partner who is better/prettier. It creates a basic mindset that changing partners is just part of the process.

I have to agree with the jist of this, although I'm not sure exactly how much it applies to the Samuelson/Bates split. It's also worth noting that a lot of the time the girl's family is paying 100% of all the training, coaching, costuming fees. Everything, including rent sometimes and a living stipend is provided for the male partner.

cruisin
06-29-2011, 10:25 PM

Pretty much agree with you. And, as is the case here, often the girl is not just beautiful, but extremely talented. Not sure what these boys think they're going to get, most of them never do any better than they did with their old partner, and many do worse.

I have to confess to not understanding it. I always thought Emily was a very sexy girl with amazing lines and edges and that she matched Evan's long legs/extension/expression/ and pretty much everything else beautifully.
What is it about US males dropping gorgeous partners? I can ony hope that they see some possibilities in their new partnerships that I don't see due to my ignorance. But my fear and instinct are that those splits are professional mistakes.

Because they can. Because, as Susan M said, some of them get on power trips. And sometimes the coaches create the monster, by treating the boys as special and the girls as a commodity. I'm not saying that is what has happened here, but it is a general problem.

skfan
06-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Pretty much agree with you. And, as is the case here, often the girl is not just beautiful, but extremely talented. Not sure what these boys think they're going to get, most of them never do any better than they did with their old partner, and many do worse.

Because they can. Because, as Susan M said, some of them get on power trips. And sometimes the coaches create the monster, by treating the boys as special and the girls as a commodity. I'm not saying that is what has happened here, but it is a general problem.

yes i do think there is a trend--coaches do treat the guys like they're kings. i remember the different ways moskvina treated mishkutenok vs. how she treated dmitriev. there wasn't much outcry against it because he was deemed 'genius' and she was just 'fat', or some such bull.

if bates was basically looking for a flatter shorter girl, LOL. if the rumored machinations took place, well, what goes around...

some complain that the shibs are siblings so everything they do look incestuous, but can you think of a better method for partner retention than invoking the parents 'we're paying' principle? doing your partner doesn't provide the same security.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
06-29-2011, 10:58 PM
some complain that the shibs are siblings so everything they do look incestuous,

I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about the Shibs looking squicky. Hubbells, yes. But the Shibs, no. The Shibs are so wholesome.

Wyliefan
06-29-2011, 10:59 PM
I have to agree with the jist of this, although I'm not sure exactly how much it applies to the Samuelson/Bates split. It's also worth noting that a lot of the time the girl's family is paying 100% of all the training, coaching, costuming fees. Everything, including rent sometimes and a living stipend is provided for the male partner.

There are dowries in skating? :eek: Who knew?

skfan
06-29-2011, 11:08 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about the Shibs looking squicky. Hubbells, yes. But the Shibs, no. The Shibs are so wholesome.

that may have been on goldenskate :)

if you prefer, some have said repeatedly that there are many dances the shibs 'cannot' do, i.e. suggested it would look revolting to viewers if the shibs were to attempt certain 'themes', as if the 'in love' look is all there is to ice dance. there's plenty of speculation that next year's dances will present a challenge to them.

sk8er1964
06-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Warning: I have absolutely no concrete reason for saying this except for my own feelings.

I wish they hadn't left Ann Arbor. I think this may not have happened if they were still there. I think one of the reasons Evan was injured is the insane points-gathering lifts that the Canton skaters do. Some of them at the Oly's were super scary, the way the girl was flung about. (FTR, I have no idea how they train those in Canton, this is just my observation.) If they hadn't had to sit a year for this serious injury, their partnership might still be strong.

It's a shame. I watched these two grow up on the ice over that past seven years or so. :( However, I do wish both of them the best of luck and hope that Emily finds herself a great partner.

JerseySlore
06-29-2011, 11:24 PM

Exactly my thought! :eek:

DORISPULASKI
06-30-2011, 01:37 AM
AFAIR, the lifts are often developed with consultants from Cirque du Soleil.

And cruisin, I would be interested to know which S&Z teams you think were overgraded at US Nationals.

cruisin
06-30-2011, 02:33 AM

Exactly my thought! :eek:

You guys are kidding, right? Everyone knows that lots of girls pay for their partners (especially if they are bought from another country). Even if they don't pay all, they subsidize. I have even heard of coaches charging the boy about 1/2 what they charge the girl, unbeknownst to the girl.