PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

cruisin
06-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Do you know this is what happened? All I can see is that S&B split, and Bates is now said to be teaming with Chock. Chock & Zuerlien split because Greg retired.

I don't see anywhere that either team was split up in order to create a new team.

I don't think the C/Z split was part of any "plan". I think Greg retired for whatever reason he retired - school, finances,? But, I think once he did, Igor needed a partner for "his girl". I don't see Madison as a villain in this. She worked hard and is talented, her coach wanted a new partner for her ASAP. It's hard to say why S/B went to Igor. Were they recruited or was the move their idea. Did Igor know that Zuerlain was retiring when he took on S/B? That decision could have been made months before he actually announced it. Who knows. In any case, it's not a stretch to think that Igor got Bates for Madison and Emily was unfortunately the collateral damage. Will he now find someone for Emily? Would Emily even want to stay with him and deal with Bates on a daily basis? It stinks when really talented skaters wind up not skating because of splits. I sincerely hope that Emily finds someone up to her talent level, but who?

reese
06-29-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't think the C/Z split was part of any "plan". I think Greg retired for whatever reason he retired - school, finances,? But, I think once he did, Igor needed a partner for "his girl". I don't see Madison as a villain in this. She worked hard and is talented, her coach wanted a new partner for her ASAP. It's hard to say why S/B went to Igor. Were they recruited or was the move their idea. Did Igor know that Zuerlain was retiring when he took on S/B? That decision could have been made months before he actually announced it. Who knows. In any case, it's not a stretch to think that Igor got Bates for Madison and Emily was unfortunately the collateral damage. Will he now find someone for Emily? Would Emily even want to stay with him and deal with Bates on a daily basis? It stinks when really talented skaters wind up not skating because of splits. I sincerely hope that Emily finds someone up to her talent level, but who?

Well, to be fair, Emily and Evan went to Marina/Igor almost a year ago, before the '10/'11 competitive season and before Chock/Zuerlin fell so far behind the Shibutanis. I can assure you that if Chock/Zuerlin had the success the Shibs had this season (namely, the World bronze) there would be no Chock/Zuerlin split and no retirement to focus on school.

I can't imagine Emily staying in Canton after all of this.

BlueRidge
06-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Well, to be fair, Emily and Evan went to Marina/Igor almost a year ago, before the '10/'11 competitive season and before Chock/Zuerlin fell so far behind the Shibutanis. I can assure you that if Chock/Zuerlin had the success the Shibs had this season (namely, the World bronze) there would be no Chock/Zuerlin split and no retirement to focus on school.

That's neat. How do you assure the hypothetical that didn't happen? I'm all ears.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
06-29-2011, 04:06 PM
From the Status of US Ice-Dancing thread:

Heard (but very unreliably) Tobias/Stagniunas are done, too,

If true, maybe Emily and Stagniunas will (or already have) try out.

newbatgirl
06-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Re. cruisin's post above... People are going to believe what they want to believe. In the case of Samuelson/Bates' split, I happen to think this was not the case (based on what little I know), but I can't prove anything, obviously.

I agree, Sylvia. I think people have their biases about certain skaters and coaches and are going to come up with scenarios that align with those biases.

Proustable
06-29-2011, 04:14 PM

Again, that would require Samuelson or Stagniunas to switch countries.

I agree, Sylvia. I think people have their biases about certain skaters and coaches and are going to come up with scenarios that align with those biases.

Yep. It's pretty clear that cruisin actively dislikes Shpilband, so he gets to be the bad guy. I love the Shpilband school, so I defiantly hope it's false.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
06-29-2011, 04:20 PM

Well obviously, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options out there.

For the US, Hubbell and Brubaker have been mentioned, but it's likely that Emily might have to look elsewhere to try to find a partner.

I wish things would be made easier for pairs and dancers looking for partners. Now I don't think it should give skaters carte blanche to country hop every season, but with the lack of available partners in certain countries, I wish there would be like, a restriction on how many years a federation can refuse to release skaters or something. Maybe 2 or 3 years max. A lot of potential partnerships have probably been killed by the whole needing a release thing. Matthews and the Canadian guy she was going to skate with come to mind.

semogal
06-29-2011, 04:20 PM
He's crazy.

This is almost as annoying as the Denney/Coughlin partnership... :mad:

Emily does deserve much better than this. I hope she finds a new partner soon and then kicks Evan's ass at Nats.

ITA!! Coughlin and Bates always came across as nice guys. Now they just seem like 1st class jerks.

gkelly
06-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Yep. It's pretty clear that cruisin actively dislikes Shpilband, so he gets to be the bad guy. I love the Shpilband school, so I defiantly hope it's false.

You defy cruisin's interpretation? ;)

cruisin
06-29-2011, 04:24 PM

And that's where you're wrong. I don't actively dislike Shilband, I think he's a bit overrated, but that is taste. What I dislike is the favoritism that goes on in dance/skating in general. Igor plays the game, and he does it well, there is no arguing that he puts out what wins, but should it in some cases? Again, I don't dislike him, but I do recognize that he is not beyond doing whatever he has to for his skater, sometimes at the detriment of another. His loyalty was to Madison, he had an opportunity, he took it. Why is it that being able to see some things for what they may be means that I dislike someone?

Proustable
06-29-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't know, cruisin. When 90% of your comments about a certain person are negative (and they are), I think it's fair to assume you dislike that person/what that person stands for. More than that, I can't tell when your assertions are grounded in facts (that the US Federation tends to boost his teams unfairly, for example), but this could be a lack of historical context on my part. I've only been a fan of ice dance for a short time (date: V/M performing "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" at Worlds) and despite youtube videos of the greats, I don't know much about the behind the scenes stuff.

gkelly, the hope is defiant. Because I can see cruisin's interpretation as being plausible given what we know of the facts.

TanithandBenFan
06-29-2011, 05:02 PM

Isabella and Deividas posted on their official Facebook page that they're excited about competing at Cup of Russia, so that doesn't sound like a team who's split.

kwanfan1818
06-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Stagniunas has been in the US training for a while. Maybe he has a green card already and will qualify for US citizenship. Switching out of Lithuania would mean no automatic trips to Euros and Worlds for him, though, and the Lithuanian government would have to make an exception to naturalization requirements for Samuelson to be granted Lithuanian citizenship.

cruisin
06-29-2011, 05:58 PM
gkelly, the hope is defiant. Because I can see cruisin's interpretation as being plausible given what we know of the facts.

So, if you agree that it's plausible, why do you see me as being so negative?

Whether or not we like to face it, skating is a business. It is business for coaches, perks for officials, and a dream for the athletes. The athletes can soon realize that it is business and make decisions that are business decisions. Frequently another skater is hurt by those decisions. When you consider the hours, years, tears, and money that are poured into a successful skater/team, it is devastating when it ends. Especially if that skater does not expect it and is not ready for it to end. The problem is that most of the victims of the business of skating are young and don't realize how tenuous their position is. Another part of this is it effects the entire family, people move, financial sacrifices are made, lives revolve around what they believe to be their future. When it is snatched away, for seemingly no purposeful reason, it's very difficult for everyone involved.

Moto Guzzi
06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Watching skating this season is going to be like attending a party in one of Edith Wharton's later novels, where everyone is divorced and remarried to new people.It reminds me of None But the Lonely Heart, an old Spike Jones and His City Slickers recording:

But, Mary dear, I know you have another husband, and that he has another wife, and that she has another husband, and that our own child, through marriage, is now my uncle and your sister's father on your grandmother's side, but can't we talk this over? There is still time, our divorce doesn't become final for another five minutes.