PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

mia joy
06-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Oh my, I haven't been around here for a while and I come back to find this? :(

I was just starting to love them. It was hard not to have them around last season, but I was really looking forward to see them develop together. Nevertheless, I hope they both find great partners and continue to shine separately.

I guess now we can stop wondering who'll be the US number 2 next season?

Allen
06-28-2011, 07:44 PM
This sucks. That is all.

Pikachuusb
06-28-2011, 09:19 PM
ugh, the press release I was hoping not to hear :(

DarrellH
06-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Such a shame.

BelleBway
06-28-2011, 10:08 PM
:wuzrobbed I've tried to stay in denial. They aren't even one of my favorite teams, but that was more because of some of their programs and I was hoping to see more from them.

If they tried to work things out and there really was no way for them to stick together... well, I wish them the best! It seems like a lot of the top dance teams these days have been together a long time, so they are going to have a lot of ground to make up even if they are both able to get new partners.

lavenderblue
06-28-2011, 10:19 PM
:wuzrobbed I've tried to stay in denial. They aren't even one of my favorite teams, but that was more because of some of their programs and I was hoping to see more from them.

I think that's what saddens me most about this split. I wasn't a particularly strong fan of either C/Z or C/P, but I felt as though I'd seen them both work with programs that emphasized their strengths. There could have been room for more growth, but I still felt as though I knew basically what to expect from both couples in the future. With S/B, though, it seemed as though they had considerable untapped potential that most of their prior programs -- with the notable exception of the '08-'09 OD -- just didn't showcase or foster. The American in Paris FD sounded so promising and so much the sort of program that could finally play up their abilities in a lovely way, but now knowing it'll never come to be (in competition) is a shame.

blue_idealist
06-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Very surprising. Not very nice on his part to end it with her when she waited a year for him (if that is indeed true).

If he ends up skating with Chock, I wonder why he'd think she is a better skater than Samuelson?

I wonder if Igor/Marina encouraged this behind the scenes?

Yeah, I really have no idea how Chock would be better, except for the fact that I think she's smaller than Samuelson, who is a bit bigger than the average dance lady, I think - and Evan's kind of a small guy.

skatemommy
06-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Very surprising. Not very nice on his part to end it with her when she waited a year for him (if that is indeed true).

If he ends up skating with Chock, I wonder why he'd think she is a better skater than Samuelson?

I wonder if Igor/Marina encouraged this behind the scenes?

This would not be impossible...

Debbie S
06-28-2011, 11:33 PM
and Evan's kind of a small guy.:confused: He's 6'2". Emily is 5'4". I realize you're talking about weight, but there was a pretty large overall size difference between the two.

personwhoishere
06-29-2011, 12:10 AM
...another one bites the dust. What an insane off-season it's been.

cruisin
06-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Reads like a divorce announcement.

They all do. They make polite statements and thank everyone. It's political, they don't want to tick anyone off.

To what end?

To what end? There could be many. Possibly they knew Zuerlein was quitting and wanted a partner for Chock. they took on S/B with the intention of providing a partner for Chock. As I said earlier, Igor had a reputation for doing that several years ago. There is also the Canton emaciated girl syndrome. Emily is stunning and very thin, but should never get rail thin, she's better than that.

Ziggy
06-29-2011, 02:33 AM
Bryce Davison, as a dual citizen, doesn't have that caveat (SC would be forced to release him, essentially), which is why he could immediately start skating for the USA should he find a partner there.

It doesn't matter whether you're a dual-citizen or not. Your federation still has to release you.

Well, we don't know who is skating with who, so I don't think it's fair to say anyone is skating with an inferior partner.

There are no better partners available for them. Only downgrades.

Unless we get Samuelson/Poirer but I doubt their federations would be willing to release them.

Although we don't know in what shape Evan is. Maybe the injury was so serious, he's still suffering the effects of it? Maybe getting back to top shape is not even an option for him? In that case, I can understand that split.

reese
06-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Although we don't know in what shape Evan is. Maybe the injury was so serious, he's still suffering the effects of it? Maybe getting back to top shape is not even an option for him? In that case, I can understand that split.

I don't think this is the reason for the split. I expect to hear in Denney/Coughlin time that he has paired with Madison Chock. She is, in my opinion, "a downgrade," similar to dumping Yankowskas for Denney, but I'm sure Evan has his own interpersonal reasons for switching, as did Coughlin. It certainly makes no sense from the outside tho.

Ziggy
06-29-2011, 02:44 AM
I don't think this is the reason for the split. I expect to hear in Denney/Coughlin time that he has paired with Madison Chock. She is, in my opinion, "a downgrade," similar to dumping Yankowskas for Denney, but I'm sure Evan has his own interpersonal reasons for switching, as did Coughlin. It certainly makes no sense from the outside tho.

Maybe.

Apparently Coughlin and Denney are a couple off-ice. Which is the only explanation I can see for John trading stunning Caitlin for truck driving Caydee. :P

Madison Chock is not a very strong ice dancer and she's nowhere near Samuelson's level IMO. So unless Bates is sleeping with her, I can't see why he'd want to downgrade to a weaker partner.

Meh. This off-season is just :scream:.

letsskate
06-29-2011, 03:09 AM
Apparently Coughlin and Denney are a couple off-ice. Which is the only explanation I can see for John trading stunning Caitlin for truck driving Caydee. :P

umm.... Caydee just turned 18 a couple days ago..... isn't this illegal?? :scream: