PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

cruisin
06-26-2011, 04:38 PM
In your opinion. This isn't a fact and I believe it's one of the ways that people dis Spilband... implying his teams get their placements entirely through politics and not merit.

Not just my opinion, but if you disagree, it's your right.

BigBadBob
06-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Not just my opinion, but if you disagree, it's your right.

I'm with MacMadame on this. My sons worked with Igor and I spent a lot of time in Canton observing things up-close and in-person. The man understands the sport and the rules and crafts his programs and trains his skaters such that they score well. Igor and Marina care about their skaters, inspire them to very high performance, and the skaters hold them in high regard.

The world is full of people who criticize (when they should emulate) hard work and success.

hlp728
06-26-2011, 06:16 PM
On a positive note, Emily's hair is looking fabulous lately. Here's her new profile pic from facebook. http://www.facebook.com/emily.samuelson

Emily kinda looks like a young Lea Thompson (actress from Back to the Future, Red Dawn, All the Right Moves, Caroline in the City, Some Kind of Wonderful, etc.).

On icenetwork, it says that Evan's mother helped design their costumes in 2010 and 2009. http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=38008&mode=P Maybe now, we will see some better costumes (that are not all bright red) in the future, I hope.

I so want to see this girl skate again. If I was a millionaire, I would totally sponsor her and her new partner (I'm beyond curious to see who will that be?).

cruisin
06-26-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm with MacMadame on this. My sons worked with Igor and I spent a lot of time in Canton observing things up-close and in-person. The man understands the sport and the rules and crafts his programs and trains his skaters such that they score well. Igor and Marina care about their skaters, inspire them to very high performance, and the skaters hold them in high regard.

The world is full of people who criticize (when they should emulate) hard work and success.

And sometimes other people have a different perspective, or have seen things that are different from what you have experienced. Lots of coaches work hard, care about their skaters, know the rules, teach excellent technique, create great programs, etc. To imply that Igor is the only coach who does is just wrong. And to suggest that there is no politiking is naive.

I don't dislike Igor and I don't dislike his teams. He has put out a great product. But, I do think he and his get treated differently from all others.

Susan M
06-26-2011, 06:47 PM
If, in fact, this is not true, they should deny it.
I wonder if the delay is because USFS/coaches/friends are trying to convince Evan to change his mind. As others have said, there isn't anyone out there who would make a better partner for him, so it can't be about results.

I hope he realizes that the "he just dumped her" explanation leaves him looking pretty bad. With US skating audiences being about 90% female, this is not going to go down at all well with the fans. If he continues skating, he will find he and new partner are not exactly fan favorites, no matter how good they are, which probably means no more SOI gigs. I just see no up side to him skating with anyone else.

So, unless he has simply decided to retire from eligible competition, that leaves us back to being something personal, but there was no hint of disagreements or conflicts between them.

I wonder if he has found he simply cannot relax skating with her anymore - that the total trust one needs in a partner is gone.

OlieRow
06-26-2011, 07:07 PM
I wonder if the delay is because USFS/coaches/friends are trying to convince Evan to change his mind. As others have said, there isn't anyone out there who would make a better partner for him, so it can't be about results.

If you were Emily, would you take him back? Under the rumored circumstances, I doubt I would. What would stop him from all of a sudden dumping you again the next time a "better" partner came along?

I'm guessing they're waiting on future plans to be finalized before making the official announcement.

cruisin
06-26-2011, 07:11 PM

Possible.

I hope he realizes that the "he just dumped her" explanation leaves him looking pretty bad. With US skating audiences being about 90% female, this is not going to go down at all well with the fans. If he continues skating, he will find he and new partner are not exactly fan favorites, no matter how good they are, which probably means no more SOI gigs. I just see no up side to him skating with anyone else.

Fans might be a bit miffed for a while, but they are fickle. They'll forget all about his bad behavior if he does well with a new partner. Seen it happen over and over. He is not the first boy to "dump" a good partner, he won't be the last. The important thing is that Emily doesn't get vilified. Let's hope the rumor mill doesn't start painting her as the "problem".

Skittl1321
06-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I wonder if he has found he simply cannot relax skating with her anymore - that the total trust one needs in a partner is gone.

After a serious injury, that could be understandable, injury recovery is tough (I have no idea how Jessica Dube got back on the ice with the same partner after the face slashing)- but at their level it should be worked through with a sports psychologist, and then if it doesn't work, Emily wouldn't be rumored to be surprised by the dumping, she'd know it might be coming.

UMBS Go Blue
06-26-2011, 10:04 PM
The important thing is that Emily doesn't get vilified. Let's hope the rumor mill doesn't start painting her as the "problem".Is it OK to vilify Evan then and to paint him as the "problem?" How do we know that the original he-dumped-her allegation is true in the first place, and that there might not be more to the story from both sides?

cruisin
06-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Is it OK to vilify Evan then and to paint him as the "problem?" How do we know that the original he-dumped-her allegation is true in the first place, and that there might not be more to the story from both sides?

That's fair.

Twizzler
06-27-2011, 04:03 AM
Is it OK to vilify Evan then and to paint him as the "problem?" How do we know that the original he-dumped-her allegation is true in the first place, and that there might not be more to the story from both sides?

This. Because one person has posted that "he just dumped her", it must be fact???? Please. Maybe there are issues between them and because they were together for so long and were so successful, they will respect one another and not air their dirty laundry. People shouldn't assume Evan is in the wrong just because they don't like the fact that team split up.

As far as Emily finding out what's being written on these boards, her grandfather frequently posts on this board- I'm sure she is aware of what's being said.

Anjelica
06-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Sorry to hear this I really enjoyed their skating!

Susan M
06-28-2011, 06:36 AM
If you were Emily, would you take him back? Under the rumored circumstances, I doubt I would.
Depending on his explanations, yes, I think I could and would. I mean, other kinds of couples split and get back together, so why not ice dancers?

cruisin
06-28-2011, 01:15 PM
If you were Emily, would you take him back? Under the rumored circumstances, I doubt I would. What would stop him from all of a sudden dumping you again the next time a "better" partner came along?

First, since nothing official has been announced, we don't know that anyone has been dumped. Even the things I said above are based in speculation. If there was a "dumping", and it hasn't gone so far as to destroy the relationship, yes I would take him back. People do make mistakes. More importantly 10 years is a long time to work toward something and then throw it away. So, if they can work it out, go for it!

jessiesk8r
06-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Did anyone else notice that an official announcement was published on IceNetwork (with quotes from Emily), then taken off? It was just there 5 minutes ago!