PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

skatemommy
06-24-2011, 09:25 PM
^ but why settle for an inferior partner and work your way back up the ranks again? It make no sense...

cruisin
06-24-2011, 11:38 PM
^ but why settle for an inferior partner and work your way back up the ranks again? It make no sense...

Well, we don't know who is skating with who, so I don't think it's fair to say anyone is skating with an inferior partner.

There are many reasons why teams split. Some of them are about $$, some are about coaching, some are about work ethic, some are about pecking order, some are about personal relationships, etc. I have seen many talented teams split at the height of their success. It stinks, it usually stinks more for one partner than the other. But, it happens. USFS was making an effort at retention, but they cannot force a team to stay together.

MacMadame
06-25-2011, 12:20 AM
It makes sense if your partner's injury is not coming along as well as expected and you have doubts he'll ever be up to elite levels again.

NOTE: I am not saying this is what happened. I have no idea in this case. But I have seen many elite athletes in many sports not be able to successfully come back from injury so, any time there is an injury, this possibility exists and can't really be said to be "out of the blue" or "for no reason" if the team splits up.

And just because the other party says they are going to continue to skate, doesn't mean they are being realistic either.

maggylyn
06-25-2011, 01:19 AM
And just because the other party says they are going to continue to skate, doesn't mean they are being realistic either.

I have wondered about this in the case of Bryce Davison.

UMBS Go Blue
06-25-2011, 04:55 AM
So I'm still curious:

1. Is Evan Bates fully healed from his injury and in 100% competitive shape?
2. Do the Chock/Bates rumors have any basis?
3. If Emily Samuelson and Keiffer Hubbell are each other's highest-ranked (with their previous partners) options, and since they should know each other well (as they trained at the same Ann Arbor rink for a long time), then shouldn't they consider pairing up? One thinks they'd have similarly long lines.

olifaunt
06-25-2011, 04:59 AM
I thought Keiffer Hubbell retired due to injury.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
06-25-2011, 05:53 AM
Given the limited professional opportunities today I would think it would be hard for any ice dance team to continue if they are not medaling internationally. Samuelson and Bates lost of lot of career momentum having to sit out last season. Even Virtue and Moir, with their OGM, felt the need to get back in the game ASAP (and I think they were wise to do so).

I also don't get their move to Shpilband/Zoueva after the Olympics. At best they would have been the number 3 team, after losing a season they would not even be that. I would think it would be better to go somewhere where you could distinguish yourself from the top competitors and be with a coaching team that would make you top priorty.

S&Z own icedancing at the moment; both nationally for the U.S. and internationally. In the run up to the Olympic season S&B were seemingly being pushed as a solid number three team behind B&A and D&W (with B&A's retirement they seemed slated for number two) and the move to Shpilband on paper at least could have helped them.

Before Evan's injury and with the potential speed and lifts that Igor would undoubtably have introduced to S&B's programs, it would/could have cemented S&B as the second team. IMO S&B are or pre Evan injury were superior to S&S. And I'm still not convinced that having had to sit out last season would have put S&B behind. Perhaps it did keep them from inching that much closer to D&W but I still feel that S&S were the beneficiaries of a really thin field, the absence of S&B and mistakes made by teams whom I feel are better. I think that as long as Evan can skate, S&B would not have remained behind S&S for long if at all.

I'm not sure what the heck is going on in Canton (teams break up all the time but for so many from one camp to implode?) but it's unfortunate.

I guess it opens doors for the other teams but other than D&W and S&S how many of the remaining teams are up to that level. Are any even up to the level of C&Z or the Hubbell's?

casken
06-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Although he's not quite at the same level technically yet, Collin Brubaker is almost the same height as Evan Bates and has really nice lines that would be a good stylistic match for Emily. With good coaching they could be a compelling team.

MacMadame
06-25-2011, 06:47 AM
I have wondered about this in the case of Bryce Davison.
I was actually thinking of a now retired skater when I wrote that, but I'd be shocked if we saw Davison on the ice again as part of an elite team.

I'm not sure what the heck is going on in Canton (teams break up all the time but for so many from one camp to implode?) but it's unfortunate.

Well, when you've got all the teams, it stands to reason that a lot of the teams breaking up will be from your camp. ;)

cruisin
06-25-2011, 01:14 PM
S&Z own icedancing at the moment; both nationally for the U.S. and internationally. In the run up to the Olympic season S&B were seemingly being pushed as a solid number three team behind B&A and D&W (with B&A's retirement they seemed slated for number two) and the move to Shpilband on paper at least could have helped them.

Before Evan's injury and with the potential speed and lifts that Igor would undoubtably have introduced to S&B's programs, it would/could have cemented S&B as the second team. IMO S&B are or pre Evan injury were superior to S&S. And I'm still not convinced that having had to sit out last season would have put S&B behind. Perhaps it did keep them from inching that much closer to D&W but I still feel that S&S were the beneficiaries of a really thin field, the absence of S&B and mistakes made by teams whom I feel are better. I think that as long as Evan can skate, S&B would not have remained behind S&S for long if at all.

Agree. As to S/Z owning ice dancing, they do. Is it right to dominate, just because of who is coaching you? I don't think so. There have been times when S/Z teams have placed way higher than they should have, just because. I remember some jokes going around a few years ago that if you want your team to win, the coaches should wear an Igor mask :lol:.

I guess it opens doors for the other teams but other than D&W and S&S how many of the remaining teams are up to that level. Are any even up to the level of C&Z or the Hubbell's?

Well, since they are all S/Z's teams, maybe S/Z are shuffling?

OrioleBeagle
06-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Agree.

Well, since they are all S/Z's teams, maybe S/Z are shuffling?

IF that's the case, perhaps one of the teams should consider moving to Camerlengo and Krylova. All of this drama is NOT good!

cruisin
06-25-2011, 02:17 PM
IF that's the case, perhaps one of the teams should consider moving to Camerlengo and Krylova. All of this drama is NOT good!

I'm not saying it is the case. It's hard to say if it's drama or legitimate warranted splits. We are all just guessing. I would say, with S/B that there must be some very compelling reason for them to split, with the success they've had (to say nothing of the family support). But, Evan's injury and behind closed doors...? It's really a shame, I liked them together. I especially like Emily's style, and Evan presented her beautifully.

I do wish that USFS et al would stop the S/Z idolization. They've been slobbering all over them for 12/15 years now. There are other coaches who are just as good, who have great teams.

lavenderblue
06-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Of the ten or so dance splits that have thus far occurred in this off-season, haven't only two come from S/Z's camp? One of which was the result of one partner's choosing to retire (a decision which didn't surprise me, given what I understood of the greater financial challenges they faced versus the teams around them)?

cruisin
06-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Of the ten or so dance splits that have thus far occurred in this off-season, haven't only two come from S/Z's camp? One of which was the result of one partner's choosing to retire (a decision which didn't surprise me, given what I understood of the greater financial challenges they faced versus the teams around them)?

This also brings up an :mad: issue. It is staggeringly expensive for competitive skaters to train. Ice time, coaching costs, equipment (and maintenance), clothing, off ice training. It really is a shame that talented skaters get lost due to inability to pay the skating bills and to also live/eat.

blue_idealist
06-25-2011, 07:52 PM
This might be out there, but they're not going to try to put Evan Bates with Jana Khokhlova somehow, are they? I don't think that would work, citizenship-wise, but she wouldn't be a downgrade from Emily.