PDA

View Full Version : Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates have ended their partnership

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

kia_4EverOnIce
06-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Wikipedia lists Evan as Emily's "former" partner..:(

and Emily as Evan's "former" partner, but the article could have been modified by anyone and they refer to UniversalSports article, so I still hope...

Proustable
06-24-2011, 03:06 AM
If I/K were 4th at Russian Nationals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Russian_Figure_Skating_Championships#Ice_danc ing) as Juniors in 2008-2009, they've been together for three seasons. (They were together briefly in 2005.)

Paul/Islam wouldn't be coming in as their country's #3 with the kind of politik behind them as K/A. I think it will be a couple years before P/I challenge W/P.

I don't think it's by any means guaranteed that K/A will make it out of Russian Nationals, and I personally prefer M/K, but I don't think they have half a dozen teams between them and Sochi, especially with a S/Z behind them and the potential jump from another year under their belts.

My bad. But while P/I won't be coming in with hard core politicking behind them, they are virtually guarateed the number three position, something K/A certainly aren't. I would be genuinely surprised to see K/A at Worlds.

But I mainly take issue with the idea that Zoueva is actively doing anything here to sabatoge some of her own teams to help her son.

kwanfan1818
06-24-2011, 05:06 AM
But I mainly take issue with the idea that Zoueva is actively doing anything here to sabatoge some of her own teams to help her son.
I don't think she's doing it deliberately, but I don't imagine she's unhappy that circumstances favor her son.

Allen
06-24-2011, 05:18 AM
I went into denial mode when the rumors about this split first surfaced. Now that it's confirmed, the news is just crushing :fragile: :wuzrobbed :( . They were easily one of my favorite teams since hitting the Senior ranks, and like so many others have posted, it sucks that we won't be able to see them skate up to their potential (ie., their American In Paris FD).

Me too. I just kept telling myself that it was conjecture. I thought that if they didn't break up right after the injury, why would they now?

I went on YouTube tonight and found a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i1lOIlrgLw) of the first time I saw them skate, which was in 04 at Nationals in Atlanta. They won the novice event, and even though there were a lot of opportunities for improvement, I found them really charming. It's sad to know that they'll never get a chance to win a world medal.

Zemgirl
06-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Wikipedia lists Evan as Emily's "former" partner..:(
I edit on Wikipedia occasionally, and I've noticed that for active skaters, news reports are added pretty quickly to the entries. Since there are reputable news sources reporting that Emily and Evan have ended their partnership, I'm not surprised to see it show up on there. But Wikipedia does not break news, so don't read too much into it.

That's with less than a year together, with Andreev not even an ice dancer, compared to Junior World Champions who'd been together for more than three years. I'm pretty skeptical about how far Andreev can go, but I do think that he can get to be at least as good as Kostomarov and that she's a:rockstar:. They should have competition from Monko/Khavialin up the line, but I'm not sure M/K will do it this season, especially if K/A make a leap in levels and ability, having had more time together.
Not to mention, Andreev had to deal with learning the Golden Waltz in his first season as an ice dancer, which must have taken up a huge amount of time and effort. The Rhumba is bound to be easier for him, and as you noted, we have seen more than one female ice dancer drag a less talented partner to the top (or near it). With the international dance field getting thinner by the day and junior success no guarantee of senior-level achievements, K/A might actually do pretty well - provided they get the assignments. And at least based on the 2010-11 results, it seems as though Marina is not the only person behind this project.

rhumba
06-24-2011, 05:27 PM
It's quite uncommon that the team that has been together for 10 years would split up in a sudden. We all know that there is conflict of interest since Marina's son is competing for Russia, Marina has three top teams of the world under her control. She also has close contact with the Russian federation, lots of talk happened behind the door.... :). US is in difficult situation since all the top US teams are under Marina's control.... Canadian is not so bad since the top teams are all from different camps.

DustPuppyOI
06-24-2011, 05:41 PM
I find it interesting that neither USFSA nor IceNetwork have released a formal announcement, which makes me wonder if a reversal of the breakup could potentially happen. I would expect one for skaters of this magnitude and its absence makes me wonder about it. :confused:

[Edited per Sylvia] :shuffle: <= Me
Sorry... I thought it was official since it was Universal Sports but it was sourced from Detroit Free Press.

UnOfficial announcement: http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/article/newsid=537619.html

(H/T http://www.requiredelements.com/2011/6/24/2241645/samuelson-and-bates-quit-each-other)

Sylvia
06-24-2011, 05:58 PM
It's true that US Figure Skating has not published an official press release yet. The Detroit Free Press article is the only known news source for S/B's split, and it did not include any direct quotes. ETA: AFAIK, their split did occur, however. :(

(Sorry, rhumba, but I don't buy your theory. ;) Igor Shpilband is also part of the coaching team, ya know!)

RUKen
06-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Deleted because DustPuppyOI edited her own post.

julieann
06-24-2011, 06:28 PM
It's quite uncommon that the team that has been together for 10 years would split up in a sudden.

How do you know what went on behind closed doors or that their problems were all of a sudden? I have known married couples who have separated after 30 years of marriage (although it was bad for much of it) how everyone said "I didn't see it coming" or "I thought they were so happy" but the fact is no one knows what happens in a couple's personal relationship no matter if they are intimate or ice dancers/pairs or both.

operagirl
06-24-2011, 07:06 PM
This was posted on the Skate For Hope thread:

I talked to Emily Samuelson after the show and asked how Evan was doing. She said that he's on the ice, but when I asked her if they are going to skate this season she said that she hopes so but things are still up in the air, and she isn't completely sure what's going to happen in the future. Take that as you will, she seemed pretty doubtful to be honest, but seemed to be more unsure because of his injury than other factors that she did not allude to at all.

Zemgirl
06-24-2011, 07:10 PM
It's quite uncommon that the team that has been together for 10 years would split up in a sudden. We all know that there is conflict of interest since Marina's son is competing for Russia, Marina has three top teams of the world under her control. She also has close contact with the Russian federation, lots of talk happened behind the door.... :). US is in difficult situation since all the top US teams are under Marina's control.... Canadian is not so bad since the top teams are all from different camps.
Assuming S/B really have split, they're the second ten-year team to call it quits this off-season; C/P (who of course were not an S&Z team) had been together since 2001. Sometimes partners just go in different directions as they grow up, in skating and in real life.

cruisin
06-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Wasn't the skating community (or at least the powers that be) lamenting the state of Ice Dance before the 1994 Olympics, and despite the fantastic drama given to us during the 90s and early 2000s, weren't some people tired of ice dance teams who didn't really dance?

There was also a lot of complaining that teams didn't stay together long enough to really gel, to become one. Now, we have long term successful teams splitting for what? All it does is dilute the pool. But, this is dance. Many successful and talented teams break up for idiotic reasons, these would not be the first.

skatemommy
06-24-2011, 08:25 PM
^ but what is the reason?

aliceanne
06-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Given the limited professional opportunities today I would think it would be hard for any ice dance team to continue if they are not medaling internationally. Samuelson and Bates lost of lot of career momentum having to sit out last season. Even Virtue and Moir, with their OGM, felt the need to get back in the game ASAP (and I think they were wise to do so).

I also don't get their move to Shpilband/Zoueva after the Olympics. At best they would have been the number 3 team, after losing a season they would not even be that. I would think it would be better to go somewhere where you could distinguish yourself from the top competitors and be with a coaching team that would make you top priorty.