PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Japan Open

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Triple Butz
10-04-2011, 11:30 PM
You reminded me of Finland's Jenni Vahamaa skating to Howl's Moving Castle.
So pity that she retired so young!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDX-piSYmeQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n7t_w7YbdQ&feature=related

This is the Hisaishi program I remember most...

os168
10-04-2011, 11:31 PM
I think Kozuka's FS music was re-recorded just for the program. I saw a video clip of the recording on TV.

Ahhh so I was right!!! Thanks for confirming it :) Gosh... does that mean he has the personal endorsement of Joe? :fragile:

I better be nicer then!! :coffee:

It's noce knowing the success of the concert of Hisaishi in Paris this summer. IT was packed to the ground.
Nice choice :) I wish more japanese would skate to some of their own composers.
Hisaishi is a god, but some others aren't bad either. Yoko Kano is the first other example that comes to my mind, I love her work !

Aaaaaaaa..... He performed in Paris over the summer?!! I should have gone!! :( Almost went to his concert in Hongkong a few years ago, but friend couldn't get any ticket, so cancelled the trip....sob :(

I am on his facebook page, must have missed the news!! On a side note, I am always impressed by the French and the Italians who caught up on the anime way early ahead of other European in the 90s. Both nations are truly artistic!!! :)

senorita
10-04-2011, 11:42 PM
It's noce knowing the success of the concert of Hisaishi in Paris this summer. IT was packed to the ground.

I know:fragile:
Oh you went?:inavoid:
i learnt about it too late to find anything close to a ticket, I hope i ll have one more opportunity in life:wuzrobbed

senorita
10-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Heh, *I* am skating to Princess Mononoke. . . of course I'm only barely an Adult Bronze level :P I revere Joe Hisashi and all things Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli. . .

I m rooting for you already:cheer2:

miki88
10-05-2011, 01:22 AM
I'm very disappointed at Kozuka's music cut of Nausicaa. :( It takes away a lot of the emotional power of the original film score. He should have used the "The Bird People" version.

periperi
10-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Okay this is going to get a bit arty... sporting enthusiasts look away! ;)

I think it depends on how you define what is having good musicality and being music aware. For me personally, it is the ability to instinctively play around with any piece music, covering a wide range of style, rhythms, capable of understand it, adapt to it, interpret instinctively and quickly, then trying to communicate its message effectively including shape it with originality and thoughts, generally an enriched opinion expressed outwardly during the process and deliver it in a convincing manner. It is not one thing, but a whole range of things.

I've watched his Franz Liszt live in Moscow, it was a great performance! When Taka is packaged with the right material that complemented his style and that he is well practiced, it can became a great performance like he was able to deliver there. However artistically to me, there were literally no correlation between performance, interpretation and the music. To me his timing were the result of hard work done through repeated practice, from being told what to do but really, he has no opinion on it. It is not genuinely expressed with true feelings with any sense of rhythm or appreciation like a musically aware performer would. The difference between a maestro and a amateur who plays the same piece of music is the Maestro make decisions either to amplify the intention of the music notation by the composer, or bring his own unique perspective of what would be even better. The amateur would able to play everything on time but nothing more.

If you compare this performance with his exhibition at WC, I feel is a better musical performance because he clearly have an opinion with real purpose and made the emotional connection. He then are no longer a slave to the music unlike during his competitions.

In Japan, Nausicaa is an all time famous beloved suite of music that many adults and children are very familiar with. The fact he is still unable to adapt to the music or hit the final note (he was early not late), speaks volumes of his lacking in this area. If you know the music and you can't still perform on time, that is a biggie! His previous programs all illustrate these weaknesses too!

Actually Liszt Piano 1 suit Taka's style of performance very well (Like how Morricone's The Mission is great at shielding Ando's lack of musicality with lovingly warm foggy/cushion notes). Imho, Lizst may come from the Romanticism art period era, but this piece of work is spear headed towards a new Realism era. It was composed during the over lapping arts periods. It requires clinical precision, little room for abstraction, yet at the same there's no particular theme or emotional anchor between each movements. It disregard sentimentality, classical idealization and simply portray notes as an extension of composers existential values, his own sense of grandeur. To construct an original new format of Piano concerto that fully challenges his newly found principles and virtuosity.

In summary Piano No.1 is a self referential work designed to show off Lizt's technical brilliance rather than to follow any particular emotional persuasion (how German!). As such, there's no real interpretation needed since the notation is already overwhelming, you just have to deliver the virtuosity at key junctures in a grand fashion, in which Taka did.

So the question then becomes does the virtuosity of this piece of music impress you or does it move you?
That pretty much summarized how I feel about Kozuka's skating when done right. :)

In contrast, I find Takahiko to be one of the most genuine skaters out there. From the get-go most (not all) of his programs seem to come naturally to him, IMO. If I fall in love with one of his programs I usually fall in love with it the first time I see it, perfect or not. For the most part, I either love his programs or I don't, rarely do they have to grow on me.

When he was skating to his gentle Chopin number, or to his more dynamic Romeo and Juliet number, or to his create-a-mood-in-the-rink Guitar Concerto, or to the unusual rhythms of his Take-Five number, and so forth, I felt that his body moved naturally and accordingly to what he was skating to. Certain of the aforementioned programs were quite different in the way he approached them so I don't think he necessarily needs to be packaged correctly in order to make it work. In other words, I feel that he's more than capable in interpreting more than one type of 'style'. It's so interesting how opinions differ. :)

Of course, I did say that not all of his numbers were as successful in my eyes from the get-go as it did take me until Worlds to fully fall in love with his Liszt number. Most of his other renditions to the program I actually found rather boring, to be honest. Nausicaa I find downright bland. However, I don't want to judge him too harshly because it should be taken into account that he was still breaking into his new boots when he skated at JO. He must have been pretty uncomfortable out there.

Marco
10-05-2011, 05:00 AM
Backloading is great, but ideally jumps should be more evenly spread throughout the program and be placed in certain spots for a musical or choreographic purpose - not just "jeez two minutes have passed, watch me do 5 jumps in a row".

gkelly
10-05-2011, 05:33 AM
OK, I'll start another thread in the Trash Can.

MarieM
10-05-2011, 06:41 AM
I know:fragile:
Oh you went?:inavoid:
i learnt about it too late to find anything close to a ticket, I hope i ll have one more opportunity in life:wuzrobbed

I don't know how people could go, it was all sold out minutes after the opening !
Since it was a charity too, it was way expensive. Rumor has he may come back very soon :) I WANNA GOOOOOOOOO !!

So since there are so many Joe fan, we should start a thread and give us hints whenever he comes back to make a concert in Paris. Rumor has it may be next spring. I hope that turns out to be true !

Japanfan
10-05-2011, 09:27 AM
I agree with you. I find jumps in the second half very impressive.

Personally I don't care if there are 3, 4 or 5 jumps in the second half, as long as the program is interesting. If the program is not interesting - well, that's a problem, but IMHO just the fact that a skater did more jumps in the second half than in the first one doesn't automatically make the program suck.

I agree. But when there is nothing much going on the first half other than conserving energy and taking a rest stop or two, it's not much different than a front-loaded empty program. Perhaps even worse, because in a front-loaded program there is at least room for some interesting footwork and the jumps are out of the way. But in the back-loaded program the skater's mind could be on the jumps in the second half, which removes the focus from the first half and non-jump elements.

t.mann
10-05-2011, 11:33 AM
When Plushenko won his titles with frontloaded jumps peaople were complaining. Now when someone is smart enough AND has enough strength/skills to put most of his/her jumps in second half peaople again are complaining. I mean, it's more difficult to do jumps in the second half when you're tired than do them in the begining. I think it's good CoP rewards jumps in the second half and love e.g. Liza's 3S+3T in her FS.

Backloading will not be difficult if a skater performs a empty program or uses easy entries into jumps.
Even Morozov said that it is a matter of training.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76149

Q : From the protocols of this year I gather, that most of the male programmes this year have a certain pattern: five jumping elements at the second part of the programme.
Morozov : Well, yes. Those who are smarter assume such a programme will bring more points and start thinking how to train in order to make all that. But there are also those who put the jumps in the 2nd part of the programmes because the others do that. Whether they are able to land those jumps or not - well, whatever will be, will be.

Q : How does one need to train in order to skate such a programme? Does it require any special skills?
M : No, it just takes more time. It's not a super hard thing to do actually. Alexey Yagudin used to jump five tripple jumps at the 2nd part of the programme at the time, while he sometimes had to skate at 5am.

Q : But there is an opposite example: during the time of the new system Pluschenko had always tried to perform all his jumps at the beginning of the programme simply because otherwise he wouldn't be able to complete the skate without loosing the speed.
M : Am sure had Evgeny set the goal to jump five jumps at the second part of the programme in Vancouver he would. The fact he didn't have much time to get ready for the Olympics is a different matter. I think this is the reason he decided not to take the risk.

tkaug
10-05-2011, 12:01 PM
I think it's good CoP rewards jumps in the second half and love e.g. Liza's 3S+3T in her FS.

Was Liza's 3S+3T combination a planned one?
I thought she was going to do 2A+3T but it turned 2A+2T,
so she put 3S+3T instead of 3S+2T(or 3S+2T+2Lo?).

fsfan22
10-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Was Liza's 3S+3T combination a planned one?
I thought she was going to do 2A+3T but it turned 2A+2T,
so she put 3S+3T instead of 3S+2T(or 3S+2T+2Lo?).

I was thinking the same thing. I think the 3S+3T was unplanned or a backup plan in case the 2A+3T didn't work out.

tkaug
10-05-2011, 03:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I think the 3S+3T was unplanned or a backup plan in case the 2A+3T didn't work out.

In any case, it's really incredible of her to put a 3-3 as her 6th jump!

BTW, she looks so much like Johnny Weir!

Jenny81
10-05-2011, 03:39 PM
BTW, she looks so much like Johnny Weir!

:lol: