PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Japan Open

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Japanfan
10-04-2011, 11:31 AM
and it was partly due to her consistency and amazing skating skills that other skaters felt the need to push themselves technically to compete with her.

The standard in the Kwan era was 3-2 and I would say the women stagnated technically. Some tried 3-3s, yes - even Kwan, but the envelope wasn't pushed again until Mao and Yuna came on the scene.

Sorry to digress OT once again.

tkaug
10-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Amodio's 10% bonus for 6 jumps in the 2nd half of the program does not make up the lack of transition at all. What is Morozov thinking?

As for Chan, there's no doubt that he has one of the best SS(and TR), but that should not mean he deserves high scores on all the other components. I don't think he has the best CH and IN of all the skaters at all. I do suggest that components scores not be based on SS. And about falls, 3.0 point deduction for 3 falls is too little. I think deduction for falls should increase after 2nd fall(for example, 3 falls should receive 1+2+3=6.0 point deduction).

fsfan22
10-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Amodio's 10% bonus for 6 jumps in the 2nd half of the program does not make up the lack of transition at all. What is Morozov thinking?

As for Chan, there's no doubt that he has one of the best SS(and TR), but that should not mean he deserves high scores on all the other components. I don't think he has the best CH and IN of all the skaters at all. I do suggest that components scores not be based on SS. And about falls, 3.0 point deduction for 3 falls is too little. I think deduction for falls should increase after 2nd fall(for example, 3 falls should receive 1+2+3=6.0 point deduction).

I can't stand Morozov's "choreography" and his attempts to put as many jump elements in the second half of a program. One of the most obvious attempts at this was with Nobunari Oda's 2009/10 Chaplin program where he had a 45+ second circular step sequence in the first half of the program. That thing was seriously the slowest, most prolonged footwork I have ever seen.

MarieM
10-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I LOOOOVE Kozuka's choice of Music. Kane no Tani no Naushika. AT LAST someone is skating to one of Hisaishi's best soundtrack ever. And it suits him.
La la lalala lala.

os168
10-04-2011, 05:20 PM
I LOOOOVE Kozuka's choice of Music. Kane no Tani no Naushika. AT LAST someone is skating to one of Hisaishi's best soundtrack ever. And it suits him.
La la lalala lala.

I know right... love the music to pieces!! And I really like the modern new version which has been modernized for skating. Especially the Lalala song/or I call it the Nanana song, which I always imagined in footstep sequence. Anyone know if Joe Haisashi recorded this new version just for this program?

To be honest, I would much prefer if it is to Hanyu or Risa to do this piece. They are the right age group and one of the few Japanese skaters who has the sensitivity and expression to bring it justice. I hate to be critical but Kozuka is not the most musically aware skater, there's always a lack of connection and emotion with music that distracts from the fact he is an amazing technical skater unless he skate with confidence.

At the Japanese Open however, he looks a bit lost in parts and unsure with his expressions. He was not on time with the music (even missed the final note, that is how bad!) therefore there were parts felt hurried as he is either trying to catch up or retune his movement but keep missing it. As a result the movements feels stiff in parts. It hurted his performance, when the music is suppose to be all about fly with freedom, defy gravity/expectations, reaching transcendence etc. It should be meaningful, powerful, aspirational, even a little bit innocent and emotional. None of that I got from the performance. The only reference to the music is his black and white shirt, which unfortunately looks like country western with some Indian feathers for graphics. It is also buttoned all the way up which makes it even weirder to those who are unfamiliar with the story!

bartek
10-04-2011, 05:34 PM
The standard in the Kwan era was 3-2 and I would say the women stagnated technically. Some tried 3-3s, yes - even Kwan, but the envelope wasn't pushed again until Mao and Yuna came on the scene.

Irina Slutskaya had pushed the sport technically and enforced Kwan to keep attempting triple-triples before Mao and Yu-Na came on the scene.

os168
10-04-2011, 05:55 PM
I can't stand Morozov's "choreography" and his attempts to put as many jump elements in the second half of a program. One of the most obvious attempts at this was with Nobunari Oda's 2009/10 Chaplin program where he had a 45+ second circular step sequence in the first half of the program. That thing was seriously the slowest, most prolonged footwork I have ever seen.

Yeah isn't it an utter travesty? Same with Miki's new program that follows same set up as last year: 2 jump passes, long spins, then long mid sections of almost nothingness at stand still pace, consist of posing elegantly, meaningless blank look moonlighting as artistic choreography doing at very slowly pace, (hint: must choose lovely slow music to justify), but really are about killing time, allowing the skater some breathing space to conserve energy for the big 2nd half 10% bonus, then setting up multiple jumps all at 2nd half one after another with little or no transitions, then almost pause with a spin to catch up breath, then footsteps at the end with spin to finish off.

It is a joke really! Sad thing is, seems other top ladies are following this format. As I have been saying, COP system has been cracked, it is time for revision. Otherwise we will continue to see systematic abuse of quality choreography at the expenses of points with lazy creativity and contrived skating.

senorita
10-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Kozuka's choice has made me keep hoping that someone might skate to princess mononoke score one day:swoon:
I think the program -when he will be more comfortable with it-will be great!

MarieM
10-04-2011, 06:34 PM
I know right... love the music to pieces!! And I really like the modern new version which has been modernized for skating. Especially the Lalala song/or I call it the Nanana song, which I always imagined in footstep sequence. Anyone know if Joe Haisashi recorded this new version just for this program?

To be honest, I would much prefer if it is to Hanyu or Risa to do this piece. They are the right age group and one of the few Japanese skaters who has the sensitivity and expression to bring it justice. I hate to be critical but Kozuka is not the most musically aware skater, there's always a lack of connection and emotion with music that distracts from the fact he is an amazing technical skater unless he skate with confidence.

At the Japanese Open however, he looks a bit lost in parts and unsure with his expressions. He was not on time with the music (even missed the final note, that is how bad!) therefore there were parts felt hurried as he is either trying to catch up or retune his movement but keep missing it. As a result the movements feels stiff in parts. It hurted his performance, when the music is suppose to be all about fly with freedom, defy gravity/expectations, reaching transcendence etc. It should be meaningful, powerful, aspirational, even a little bit innocent and emotional. None of that I got from the performance. The only reference to the music is his black and white shirt, which unfortunately looks like country western with some Indian feathers for graphics. It is also buttoned all the way up which makes it even weirder to those who are unfamiliar with the story!

Nope it hasn't been modernised for skating at all, it's part of one of Joe Hisaishi "best of" that was released years ago and I wonder if it's not part of the original orchestral soundtrack.
With Ghibli / Hisaishi, there used to be at least 4 to 5 CDs of each soundtrack. The score used in the manga, the studio version, the philarmonic one etc.
He uses the philarmonic one, and I believe he picked the "Nausicaa suite" from it. It sure sounds like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWPxTkM2XSg
All of the philarmonic versions of the soundtracks are ready to use.
Now that Nausicaa has been used, I HOPE someone will take Laputa, Mononoke Hime or even Totoro :)

The lalalala song is called Requiem, I LOVE it :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ka4J77RpU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZUppxT38Zk&feature=related
How I worship this music is beyond crazy :)

Eris
10-04-2011, 06:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZUppxT38Zk&feature=related
How I worship this music is beyond crazy :)

Adore it. Takahiko is my hero now. :swoon:

os168
10-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Nope it hasn't been modernised for skating at all, it's part of one of Joe Hisaishi "best of" that was released years ago and I wonder if it's not part of the original orchestral soundtrack.
With Ghibli / Hisaishi, there used to be at least 4 to 5 CDs of each soundtrack. The score used in the manga, the studio version, the philarmonic one etc.
He uses the philarmonic one, and I believe he picked the "Nausicaa suite" from it. It sure sounds like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWPxTkM2XSg
All of the philarmonic versions of the soundtracks are ready to use.
Now that Nausicaa has been used, I HOPE someone will take Laputa, Mononoke Hime or even Totoro :)

The lalalala song is called Requiem, I LOVE it :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ka4J77RpU&feature=related

Ah thank you so much for the update. I haven't been following his 'best work' recordings at all, but I do have all his original Anime OST which i know by heart. I do like this new sound, it is clearer, crisper, sharper, more elegant and refined, the very same quality you'd want to see in skating; it being an elegant sport consist of the ice and the blade capable of delivering similar emotions a musical instrument can.

I totally agree with your choices, Laputa is actually my next favourite, that OST is simply epic. So Hanyu, and Risa still have some opportunities there :) As for the rest, Totoro for Kanako? :P Mao should get Mononoke Hime, (Ashitaka Theme since she did such a wonder job for Jupiter which has similar qualities to the Holst piece) Mirai should totally get Kiki's delivery service (although she might be a bit old for it but it will really suit her well, and you can just picture the big Mirai smile at the end with the pose and the the standing ovation!).

Infact they should do a Tribute to Studio Ghibli program and I'd be very happy with that! I think the choreographer and the skater will have great fun with such a challenge to reference to the themes. I think Dai will be perfect for such a task, the Wizard Howl of the figure skating world.

Vash01
10-04-2011, 07:13 PM

I have to strongly disagree, even as a Kwan fan. Irina was doing 3s-3R and 3L-3R fairly regularly, and she was beating Kwan with it. That pushed other ladies to go for 3-3's (Tara, Sarah, for example). No the sport did NOT stagnate technically in the Kwan era. Mao & Yuna were actually late comers to the 3-3 party.:)

floskate
10-04-2011, 07:15 PM

He was tentative, quite slow and I think the missed ending was more due to that travesty of a combination spin which was in trouble right from the get go. I completely disagree with your assumption that Kozuka one of the less musically aware skaters. Go and watch his Liszt programs from last season - he barely misses a single beat from one competition to another. So ON the music every time. You can't do that if you lack musical awareness. (And ITA with whoever said upthread that his Liszt from Worlds was THE performance of the season and for my money right up there with the worlds greatest ever mens LP's at Worlds.)

For all his tentativeness at the Japan open I was mesmerised by it and cannot wait to see how this program develops. Hoping a new costume is in the offing though.

MarieM
10-04-2011, 07:16 PM
I used to buy all of the Ghibli's CDs back in the days :lol:
Meaning the four to five versions of each soundtrack ;)
I even made copies for some ice dancers, but they never picked it. Pffff.:cold:

I think the orchestral versions are all in the Works I, II and III cds, but I can't check, I lost them :(

Naushika used to be my favorite, but now it may be more Mononoke. Or Laputa. I Can't say:swoon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUZWF3g-8f0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Wouldn't that be perfect ? :)
OR that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H82QHiUvY5E

I love Totoro. It's like Kiki. IT's fun. IT would be perfect in juniors instead of things like Forrest Gump.:scream:

As for a tribute, it would be too hard because each movie is so different. How would you mash Mononoke and Howl's moving castle ?

os168
10-04-2011, 07:25 PM
I used to buy all of the Ghibli's CDs back in the days
As for a tribute, it would be too hard because each movie is so different. How would you mash Mononoke and Howl's moving castle ?

Yeah it would be tough but not impossible. If any one can in the figure skating world, I bet Daisuke can, he got the range, the humour and the charisma for it :P