PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Japan Open

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

aaron
10-03-2011, 03:01 PM
I've just seen his Concierto and I fully agree with you, the choreography and his skating are just mesmerizing.

Thank you for agreeing on me :)
It was a blessing to see Patrick flying through the ice right in front of me. I really appreciate him for putting all his effort to show what he has now, despite all the jet lagging and plane accident.

Nobody was really perfect on that event, like Adam Rippon last year, but that's not what we should be expecting in this time of season. I was expecting see fresh new programs, some new challenges, and retired skaters coming back to competition.

It was like a dream to see Jeff's Naqoyqatsi and Joannie's Firebird. Jeff landed 3A :cheer2::hat1:

Japanese guys were great but I know they can do better, especially Kozuka.

It was also fun to watch kiss and cry of each teams. They were constantly having fun, cheering other skaters, dancing and talking. I remember Patrick jumping into Japanese kiss and cry right after men's event and sat between Dai and Taka. I don't know what he was at but these guys were laughing hard, which was kind of sweet to watch :)

Rafter
10-03-2011, 03:40 PM
I thought Czisny's program was a total snoozefest. There is no choreo or transitions in it all. It's just stroking around setting up jumps. I watched her and Rochette back-to-back and it's pretty glaring how empty Czisny's program is. Also finding her looking very stiff through the shoulders/neck/arms.

Love Chan's program, think it's the best LP he's ever had (best costume too). Way way better than Phantom. It's definitely a more mature look for him and you can really see his ballet training in the program. I agree with the poster who said his arms and hand movement have improved. What is Johnny going to criticize now that his "starfish" hands are gone? :lol:

marbri
10-03-2011, 03:47 PM
While some of you are pulling your hair out over Chan's win on PCS have you actually noticed he had the second highest TCS, only .05 behind Gachinski? :rofl: <------it's been brought to my attention that this comment was open to interpretation so to be clear I meant to point out he won on TES as well as PCS :P

npavel
10-03-2011, 04:18 PM
I can't stand Leonovas dress, and the leg at the 3L was awful.

kittyjake5
10-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Thank you for all of the videos. I liked everyone's program (not the mistakes tho, lol)some more than others but I am not going to nitpick. Liza what a talent she is, and seeing Joannie and Jeff skate so well was definitely a treat for me.

According to the folks that were there (thanks to aaron for your observations) this was a fun event for the skaters and that makes me smile.

kwanatic
10-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Japan Open review for the ladies and JGP Austria ;)

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/2011/10/jgp-austria-ladies-review-japan-open.html

Liza T is looking very sharp, as is Akiko. I think Alissa's program will get stronger as she goes along and it was cool to Joannie again. I feel pretty bad for Miki (that was an awful performance)...

This season is going to be awesome! :D

crystalice
10-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Also, Lori wasn't the one who choreographed Michelle's Aranjuez so I'm not sure why she's being criticized for giving the piece to Kwan and then to Chan.

Yeah, it's not her fault, for this goof-around Aranjuez :rollin:

sk9tingfan
10-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Also, Lori wasn't the one who choreographed Michelle's Aranjuez so I'm not sure why she's being criticized for giving the piece to Kwan and then to Chan. Oh well, being Lori she must have given it to a couple of skaters besides Kwan (Joannie, I think?) so I guess the criticism still stands. :lol:

I believe that Karen Kwan, Michelle and Peter Oppegard choreographed her version.

os168
10-03-2011, 05:09 PM
I thought Czisny's program was a total snoozefest. There is no choreo or transitions in it all. It's just stroking around setting up jumps. I watched her and Rochette back-to-back and it's pretty glaring how empty Czisny's program is. Also finding her looking very stiff through the shoulders/neck/arms.

I have noticed this is becoming a trend among this year's to top ladies to have adapted Miki Ando's winning strategy from last year. Namely Mirai, Akiko, Alissa, and even to a point Liza (who's capable of much better artistry than she displayed here. But at least she go for the big technical content. Go little Diva! Totally show them who's the new boss in town :lol:.)

Pick something safe and unoffensive, do the minimal you can get away with, save your energy for the big elements to rack up the points, big opening, big finish, not alot in the middle. Forget about quality programs, it is all about the points. As long you can score and perform consistently through out the season, with the help of national championship over score and a powerful federation all to boost your bench mark scores even further then, you will be fine and hope the others wil fail at their own peril by the time of the grand finale. It was Morozov's strategy for Shizuka at the Olympics, for Miki at the Olympics (which didn't work) and at worlds (which did).

Yeah i am annoyed! Ladies had been an utter doze fest so far, I love the men's programs better, falls and all.

kwanfan1818
10-03-2011, 05:42 PM
You're certainly entitled to your favourite skaters and performances, but this is not a thread about Kwan.
Every thread is a thread about Kwan. This is FSU :drama:

IMO, what really sets Kwan's 2003 Nats FS (and I'm only really a fan of the Nats version, not the much more hyped Worlds one) apart from Patrick's LP is how emotive she was whereas I found Patrick's interpretation rather soulless.
Kwan's Aranjuez, like many 6.0 programs, was empty, but it was skated best at 2003 Nationals and, later at Worlds, and her performance had the momentum that none of the other top Ladies brought, and, in that way, was brilliantly constructed for what it needed to do.

Chan would look ridiculous doing "sexy face", anyway.

I believe that Karen Kwan, Michelle and Peter Oppegard choreographed her version.
At one point or another, one of the commentators or articles put Scott Williams in the mix, too. It was, apparently, a group project with many chefs in the kitchen.

kwanatic
10-03-2011, 05:48 PM
I'll always link Aranjuez with Michelle Kwan. I doubt if it's like that for everyone but when I hear it I think back to her incredible nats and worlds performances in 2003...it wasn't one of her best programs but there was an ease and flow about it (combined with flawless jumps) that makes it stand out in my mind.

However Aranjuez, like Carmen and now Scheherazade, has become a piece I am sick to death of hearing. You'd think with all of the amazing music out there that someone would try to be a little more original with their selections...

Rafter
10-03-2011, 06:27 PM
:rolleyes: and :lol: at the people trying to compare Kwan's Aranjuez to Chan's Arajuez. God, Kwan wasn't even near this Japan competition but the thread turns into a discussion about her and how much superior her program is than Chan's. It's ridiculous. :rolleyes: You Kwan fanatics really need to move on!

For what it's worth, I'm glad Chan fell THREE times here. Bodes well for him later in the season. Heh.

robinhood
10-03-2011, 06:34 PM
It was Morozov's strategy for Shizuka at the Olympics, for Miki at the Olympics (which didn't work) and at worlds (which did).

Yeah i am annoyed! Ladies had been an utter doze fest so far, I love the men's programs better, falls and all.

I'm sorry, but shizuka's olympic program was full of transitions. Only in the first minute there were more transitions than in the entire carreer of Miki Ando. That, and taking aside Arakawa's basics and skating skills being in another sphere of Ando, with all due respect.

I'm not a fan of Morozov by any means, but shizuka's program was the choreographic highlight of the entire competition

floskate
10-03-2011, 07:15 PM
I just finished watching Chan's LP on youtube and didn't think of Kwan once. :P Totally different approach. Messy skate but once that is skated clean it will be beautiful. It seems less busy than POTO but somehow still chock a block with footwork and transitions.

os168
10-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm sorry, but shizuka's olympic program was full of transitions. Only in the first minute there were more transitions than in the entire carreer of Miki Ando. That, and taking aside Arakawa's basics and skating skills being in another sphere of Ando, with all due respect.

I'm not a fan of Morozov by any means, but shizuka's program was the choreographic highlight of the entire competition

Don't get me wrong, I am merely referring to the overall strategy not her performance. Her program were a product of its times when the industry were still getting used to get maximum mileage out of COP, and it was a time just after 6.0 era when choreography and values of transition means something.

The simple fact is she won by playing safe based on failure of others. She had 2 x 3:3 planned, but did not do either. When Sasha and Irina fell she did the sensible thing for the medal rather than for a glorious win putting up a life time best. There was less than 1 points separate the top 3 during SP.

In summary, she won by default of executing a less difficult program cleanly . It was strategically clever but personally I always wondered if she'd prefer to win putting on a better performance that she is capable of.