PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Japan Open

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

MikiAndoFan#1
10-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Thank you so much, Miruna! :encore:

amateur
10-02-2011, 11:00 PM
I really really like Alissa skating to Valse Triste - that music suits her perfectly! I'm actually kinda lukewarm to Alissa's skating most of the time, but with this I find her rather striking. As another poster mentioned, the program does seem a bit "empty" by COP standards, but it's really nice to watch her. If she fills it out a little, and always keeps up the attack, this will be really great.

aftershocks
10-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks again for the links!

Takahiko, very good program and it too should get better with time. I'm also interested to see how Dai will fare this season with his jumps and endurance.

Spazactaz
10-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Alyssa's 3Lz+3T actually looked decent... hope she can get it fully rotated.
Very impressed with Jeff!

ostile17
10-02-2011, 11:22 PM
From the Exhibition (Carnival On Ice):

Elizaveta Tuktamisheva SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aviKAr1Qgu8

Yuzuru Hanyu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM3AHvjLyRM&feature=mfu_channel&list=UL

chipso1
10-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Czisny's program is gorgeous. :swoon:

I'm also liking the more-refined Suzuki. I think this music suits her perfectly.

doubleflutz
10-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Jeff - It's a shame about the jumps, because that was the best Naqoyqatsi I think I've seen Jeff do. He looks so angry with himself at the end, and it breaks my heart, because that was so beautiful. It's going straight to the top of my "need a JButt fix" list of vids. Don't be sad, Jeff, be proud!
Artur - Big artistic improvement, but what was even going on with that step sequence? It was more like a walk sequence. I don't know, I feel like the program moves around a lot without actually going anywhere? He's less flaily than Plushenko, but he uses his arms in the same kind of way. Use your feet, boy, your feet!
Liza - Huge improvement artistically, and holy mother of wow on the jump content. She's still young, but it's a good sign. The step sequence is painfully slow, though, and I really don't like the spin positions. I hope whoever's doing her choreo can work with her to find something that fits the music and her style better.
Patrick - Is it just me or is he using his arms much, much better this season? I mostly like the program, but sometimes it seemed like he was skating to a completely different cut of the music, one that was busier? It's very spare, and some of the arm movements in the first 1/3rd seem to come out of nowhere. It's not that he's off the beat or the melody, there is nothing going on when he does them. It's odd. This one probably needs a rewatch. I like the final step sequence, it's the first time that I really felt like he was dancing it.
Joannie - Nothing to say other than come back to us, Joannie!
Daisuke - Awesome program, kind of worrying jumps. I know it's early in the season, but they all seemed kind of off-kilter and like he was fighting every one. Does he look thinner than usual? It was really noticeable to me, because normally he seems so solid and buff.
Takahiko - That... sure was a competition performance to classical music by Takahiko Kozuka, wasn't it? :shuffle: I love the guy, but... yeah.
Alissa - good job on going for the triple lutzZzzzzzZzzzZzzzZZzzzZzzzz -- what, what, where am i, what was i saying? oh yeah, she went for the 3-3, that'szZzzZzzzzzz :yawn:

oleada
10-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Suzuki was a delight :)

aftershocks
10-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Huh? I would never even think to link the music of Aranjuez to Kwan. To me, so many skaters have used it that no one really owns this music. One of the best skating programs I've seen to it was on SOI many years ago and it was a quartet of I believe Orser, Yamaguichi and G&G.

Fair enough, Rafter. For me, Kwan "owned" her performances to Aranjuez (and skaters often choose different cuts from a composition), which again, doesn't mean that no other skater can "own" their own performance to the same music (e.g., Alissa, this season with Valse Triste, and previous seasons with Dr. Zhivago, and The Swan; Weir and Butryskaya with their separate performances to Otonal). Nice start for Chan, and I like the music cuts and choreography.

oleada
10-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I like that tango from Liza. She's developing into a really expressive performer. I hope she sticks with the loop over the flip in her SP as that's a much better jump for her.

I'm expecting great things from Hanyu this year. I'd love to see him at Worlds. He's just great to watch. Good jumps and style :swoon:

sk9tingfan
10-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Yet again, Chan falls three times in a program and get 9's for skating skills. I still argue that if you fall that many times, that some of your skating skills are arguable. Other skaters would be crucified in the PCS for that.

It's also one of the reasons why I questioned going to Skate Canada, but that won't keep me away beause of the presence of other skaters.

pinky166
10-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the links!

I'm disappointed by Alissa's program :( It's very pretty skating as usual but it was pretty empty and there was nothing special about it. It was pretty bland. Maybe it will grow on me....

I feel the same way. Though I will say her jumps looked good (improved) and I like the step sequence a lot. I'm also impressed to see her trying for 7 triples, repeating the lutz and loop, and putting 2 combos in the 2nd half of the program, and further, the 3lz-3t actually looked pretty close! The program has potential but for now I find it a bit milk-toasty.

Liza was fab though! :cheer:

Leonova's spins look improved and I never realized how fast she skates before, but I just can't get that excited about her skating.

aftershocks
10-03-2011, 12:23 AM
I think what bugs me is the idea that Chan is somehow responsible for all this and the sole beneficiary.

Remember Tomas Verner's Worlds LP in 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DZDjUkhEIo)? Despite having the lowest TES of the night (heck, his TES was lower than what Buttle earned in the short), he was sixth in PCS, less than nine points behind a squeaky clean/pitch perfect Jeff Buttle (even though he was a two-fall silver medalist in 2005, aftershocks. Staggering, I know).

Or how about Carolina Kostner (who, yes, is definitely the target of a lot of ire thanks to 2008). At the 2010 Olympics, she fell three times, but her PCS were only two points lower than what she scored at Euros, with only one fall.

Program components are thoroughly divorced from the technical elements.

Anyway, now having seen the program in question, I think I like it. While it's an overused piece of music, I think it's actually quite a stretch for Chan. I actually thought that the falls were quite disruptive (particularly the one on the Lutz, the one on the 3A less so and the one on the quad not so much) and his P/E mark seems too high (as does his Interpretation mark). I'd have to go through the bullets to see if it was fair. I actually think it'd be interesting to go through the TES, actually - they seemed a little generous (it's worth noting that depiste three falls - which cost him 8.1 points in GOE, he only lost TES to Gachinsky by 0.14), . But I can see myself falling for the program if/when clean. Love the costume and I enjoy watching him in general, so grain of salt time.

Yes, Chan has benefited from receiving high marks several times in early season competitions when he fell more than once, but where did you get the "idea" that "Chan is responsible and the sole beneficiary" for what the judges decide to do, based on CoP system and figure skating politics? There have been plenty of criticisms that I've seen of scores for Kostner when she didn't perform well, not to mention many other skaters throughout the history of this sport. Ah, re Tomas, I felt he performed well enough to be in third at 2007 Worlds; 2008 Worlds is a different matter altogether in many ways. I certainly am not someone who focuses heavily on judges placements broken down among TES, PCS, or GOE, for that matter. Focusing too heavily might cause me to become driven to smoking "massive amounts of weed." :P But, that's figure skating, folks! It's all about subjectivity, debate, politics, fans making weed references, and alas, CoP kaplooey now thrown into the mix.

It seems from the vids I've seen so far that most of the men had falls at the Japan comp. Perhaps Chan fell more than most, but he also performed very well on everything else in the program. Of course, seeing the competition as a whole would allow for better judgement. Still, as I said from the beginning, it's not unexpected for there to be comments, from all angles about Chan winning/ receiving high scores with 3 falls, especially due to similar happenstances early last season. That doesn't make Chan a bad person or an undeserving champion. I've never seen anyone say that it did, but I've read plenty from those who apparently infer or imagine such dastardly accusations based on comments from posters who are not necessarily in :swoon: mode every time Chan's name is brought up. And, certainly, there is nothing wrong with being in :swoon: mode whenever anyone is so moved. :D

MR-FAN
10-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Patrick Chan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfwXaHZRxIc

Holy Crap! I just saw the definitive version of Aranjuez! WOW!!!!

WOWW

Triple Butz
10-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the videos!!!

Joannie- I forgot how much I loved that program!
Akiko- Love her. Just needs a more appropriate costume for Strauss.
Alissa- Pleasantly surprised, this program is gorgeous, jumps better than usual.
Alena- Weird version of Barber, ineffective choreography, still sloppy:(
Liza- Great performance...I see many medals for her this year.

Patrick- Someone buy Lori some new CDs....ZZZZZzzzz
Jeff- Shame about the double jumps, his interpretation is second to none.
Gachinski- Straighten your back and get a haircut
Daisuke- The program is going to be dynamite if the jumps return.
Takahiko- Nausicaa! Like this better than last year's Chopin already.

Have not seen Miki or Florent yet.