PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Japan Open

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

casken
10-02-2011, 03:26 PM
I absolutely hated this music when I first heard it back in the mid 90's when U&Z were skating to it, but over the years it's grown on me to point where it puts me in a total void when I hear it. :inavoid:

nlyoung
10-02-2011, 03:26 PM
That music made my ears bleed :scream:

To each his own. I :swoon: every time I hear this music, though my favorite interpretation of all time is Usova/Zhulin. It had such a retro vibe to it :)

martyross
10-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Dai's Exhibition (Carnival On Ice) :swoon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvNSdSA22l8
that's The Legend of 1900 by Morricone. kind of surprising choice.

Sulphur
10-02-2011, 03:36 PM
that's The Legend of 1900 by Morricone. kind of surprising choice.

I love the soundtrack. I loved it when Laura Lepisto skated to it back in 2007~8. :D

Proustable
10-02-2011, 03:40 PM
To each his own. I :swoon: every time I hear this music, though my favorite interpretation of all time is Usova/Zhulin. It had such a retro vibe to it :)

Yeah, I love the music and that dance.

crystalice
10-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Having watched the whole event, I think Patrick won fair and square. No one else did better in the competition. Simple as that.
Gachinski's TES is higher than Chan's. But no problem. They always have PCS to fix the things. Yeah, right. Fair and square. :lol:

aaron
10-02-2011, 04:46 PM
My recommendation is to watch before giving any sarcasms :P
I hope there would be some more videos available ...

VarBar
10-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Gachinski's TES is higher than Chan's. But no problem. They always have PCS to fix the things. Yeah, right. Fair and square. :lol:

All the ladies involved in the Japan Open event scored higher than Tuktamisheva on the program components except Leonova. That should tell you something.

museksk8r
10-02-2011, 04:54 PM
All the ladies involved in the Japan Open event scored higher than Tuktamisheva on the program components except Leonova. That should tell you something.

Even Ando with her nightmarish meltdown skate very nearly matched Czisny in PCS . . . that should DEFINITELY tell you something too.

bbkenn
10-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Landing quads in both programs is hardly history making ;) (yes, I know you meant the scores). I think both points are fair. Chan was a deserving World Champion (though the margin over Kozuka was a bit much), but there have been other times when his performance did not merit high marks, yet he received them anyway. Having not seen anything from the Japan Open, I can't say if this is one such occasion. If it is, it's not like this is a particularly important event - but I would like to see him earn his wins this season, as he did in Moscow, rather than be handed them, as has been the case at times.

I was just hoping (useless I guess) we'd get beyond the characterization of Chan being given wins we think he did not earn when we are not judges. I don't always agree with judges scores, but starting with the "he didn't deserve his marks" meme before the season even begins just gets tiresome.

bbkenn
10-02-2011, 05:05 PM
With changing technical requirements, and a new program, I would be surprised if early season falls didn't happen.

This is what I like to read.

Primorskaya
10-02-2011, 05:06 PM
I was just hoping (useless I guess) we'd get beyond the characterization of Chan being given wins we think he did not earn when we are not judges. I don't always agree with judges scores, but starting with the "he didn't deserve his marks" meme before the season even begins just gets tiresome.

Almost as tiresome as him being consistently held up regardless of the actual performance.

Proustable
10-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Almost as tiresome as him being consistently held up regardless of the actual performance.

What did you think of his skate?

bbkenn
10-02-2011, 05:10 PM
The fact of the matter is its not even about Patrick, its the system that rewards this kind of thing. But when Chan fans go on and tells us that its no big deal that Patrick fell on his butt three times, and that the rest of us just clearly don't understand good skating is when I get annoyed. Yes, I get that Patrick has fabulous skating skills and loads of transitions. And you know what when he skates well I actually enjoy watching him skate. But I don't enjoy watching Patrick or anyone fall on their butt three times in one skate. That's not my definition of a good skate. And what ticks me off is it seems like other skaters do get hit with lower PCS when they don't deliver the technical goods. A skater who knows that he will be hit hard PCS wise if he falls a lot may be less likely to go for a quad than a skater who knows they will get huge PCS even if they fall multiple times in one program. And that's not fair.

This being said Patrick IS a beautiful skater and when he skates well its amazing to watch.

I totally agree with this.

bbkenn
10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
The thing is, I'm not convinced that's true. It's hard to compare simply because very few skaters at the highest levels have the range of falls that Patrick has, but it's worth comparing.

Kanako Murakami had three falls at NHK in her LP, she scored 52 for her PCS. For her clean (no fall) LP at SA, she had 55. If we applied PCS factoring equal to the men, the comparable difference is 3.75.

Denis Ten had five falls at Skate America in his LP. His PCS was 61.92. At NHK, he had three falls. His PCS was 60.78 (that's right, he got a higher score for a more visibly flawed skated). His PCS at worlds was 69.94 (two falls).

---I apologize to Vash01, who I misattributed this to initially.

I'm willing to be if we took any skater that had a range of performances from very unclean to sparklingly error free and used the unfactored PCS, we'd come up wrong 9 times out of ten.

Interesting.