PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Japan Open

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

museksk8r
10-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Give Patrick a break. He fell on a rotated quad and so got partial credit, landed a 4-3 with massive GOE, made a dumb mistake and fell on steps. I haven't seen the program, but given his transitions, this fall may have been on linking steps and not an element. He got the penalty for the falls, and with the content and difficulty of the program I don't see a problem with the marks. Just do the math. The quads and triple-triple give him a huge base mark to start. It drives me nuts that people continue to argue that a 'clean' but much simpler program should come out ahead because of falls. The quad fall doesn't even really factor in given he received 7+ with the fall for rotating. He also fully rotated his 3a. This is the way the system works. It is not going to change. This is the price we pay for the difficulty of the programs, and when they work it's well worth it.

How do you know the system won't change? It's changed countless times now since COP was first introduced back in the 2003-2004 GP season. I would rather see Chan and all the other skaters scale back on the difficulty of their programs earlier in the season during the GP and skate cleaner/more conservatively, so that they can build back up their conditioning for competition after summer training. They can go full out with their planned difficulty at Nationals, Europeans, 4CC, and Worlds when more is on the line. It would hopefully create a less messy GP season and fewer injuries perhaps if they implemented this strategy.

jl22aries
10-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Give Patrick a break. He fell on a rotated quad and so got partial credit, landed a 4-3 with massive GOE, made a dumb mistake and fell on steps. I haven't seen the program, but given his transitions, this fall may have been on linking steps and not an element. He got the penalty for the falls, and with the content and difficulty of the program I don't see a problem with the marks. Just do the math. The quads and triple-triple give him a huge base mark to start. It drives me nuts that people continue to argue that a 'clean' but much simpler program should come out ahead because of falls. The quad fall doesn't even really factor in given he received 7+ with the fall for rotating. He also fully rotated his 3a. This is the way the system works. It is not going to change. This is the price we pay for the difficulty of the programs, and when they work it's well worth it.

Thank you!

Proustable
10-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Proustable, you attributed the quote to me (Vash01) but I never posted that. I never write like that.

What happened? Would you mind posting a correction? I don't want to be associated with someone else's post.

Holy freholy, that was bad. I'll edit the post promptly.

I apologize.

Proustable
10-02-2011, 01:39 AM
Skater A is not judged on how well he/she skated from event A in comparison to how he/she did in event B. Skater A is being judged in comparison to how skaters B, C, D, E, F, G, H, and I skated in said event. It appears that PCS tend to build for a skater based on their maturity, experience, whether they have a World/Olympic medal, and if momentum is in their favor. I have a feeling that one day soon Chan's competition is going to gain ground on him and he is going to make enough mistakes, so that a very hungry challenger will dethrone him.

museksk8r says hopefully.

That said, I'll agree that the competition will gain ground and that he will not be in situations where he can fall three times and win. I also believe that COP will likely change so that doesn't happen at higher visibility events

aaron
10-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Patrick's new FS programs just gave me chills even though it wasn't his best jumpwise. His falls didn't bother me at all. He gets up so quickly and goes right back to the program. His 4-3, steps, and spins were amazing as usual. Aranjues is kind of overused music but after seeing it, I could understand why he and Lori has chosen it. It's the kind of music that brings out his emotions and complements the great qualities he has. If the five components means presentation, interpretation, skating skills, choreo, and skating skills, I'd say it was all there. Patrick was in his own league. I even saw some improvements from the last season. Such an amazing guy:)

Vash01
10-02-2011, 01:45 AM
Holy freholy, that was bad. I'll edit the post promptly.

I apologize.

Thank you.

fscric
10-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Is it on youtube? Can you provide the link? Thanks.

Patrick's new FS programs just gave me chills even though it wasn't his best jumpwise. His falls didn't bother me at all. He gets up so quickly and goes right back to the program. His 4-3, steps, and spins were amazing as usual. Aranjues is kind of overused music but after seeing it, I could understand why he and Lori has chosen it. It's the kind of music that brings out his emotions and complements the great qualities he has. If the five components means presentation, interpretation, skating skills, choreo, and skating skills, I'd say it was all there. Patrick was in his own league. I even saw some improvements from the last season. Such an amazing guy:)

aaron
10-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Is it on youtube? Can you provide the link? Thanks.

No, I've actually went to see the show. It was broadcasted on Tokyo TV yesterday so I believe there would be somewhere soon.

fscric
10-02-2011, 02:15 AM
aaron, thanks. I hope his and the other competitors' programmes will turn up on youtube soon.

aftershocks
10-02-2011, 02:32 AM
Daisuke's FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbOlKmEiY1U

I bet the others will start popping up soon too. :)

Thanks for posting! Love the music choice and Dai's beautiful interpretation. Dai has such desire for growth, and willingness to try something different. Talk about ability to feel and skate to the music... Hope he works out the kinks in his jumps as the season progresses. :)

Dai's music choice (jazz) does remind me somewhat of Tomas Verner's 2008 sp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnwC2kBaESQ

Chan is a wonderfully talented and accomplished skater with edges and judges' marks to die for, fans and apologists aplenty. I will look forward to seeing his Aranjuez skate, but when I hear that music, images of the Kween will definitely come to mind. I doubt that Chan's skate will erase those images. Why does Lori constantly use music for other skaters originally choreographed for Kwan? Is it an effort to conjure a similar magic?

Falls are clearly disruptive (some more than others, of course), and some skaters clearly will be marked down heavily for falls no matter their SS and high level of other elements. Chan, not so much apparently, at least early in the skating season he hasn't been -- not yet so far for the last two seasons. Are the judges blinded by his quads and magical edges, or are they simply under the influence of "massive amounts of weed." :P Forgive me for this addle-brained but apt reference taken from another thread.

midori
10-02-2011, 02:52 AM
But seriously, I suspect in preparation for the Japanese Open, Patrick has indeed been neglecting his usual training having been addicted to the Japanese Anime series full of kawaii girls shown on his video.
:lol:

According to twitter, Patrick's scheduled flight to Japan was canceled, and I heard he rumor that he had to wait for the next day at the connecting airport. I won't blame him if he does not train but soaked himself in the anime while he is stranded in the airport :P.

oleada
10-02-2011, 03:11 AM
Pictures:
http://dethspiralz.tumblr.com/post/10893354388/northxnorthwest-warmuse-ohtheseskaters

I think Miki's costume would be pretty without the sleeves. I like Tuktamysheva's.

crystalice
10-02-2011, 03:46 AM
Three falls and won. Again. :eek:

That's disgusting. :scream:

ISU is disgusting. :shuffle:

Jenna
10-02-2011, 03:56 AM
This isn't sanctioned by the ISU though. ;)

Can't blame Speedy for everything. :lol:

Maofan7
10-02-2011, 04:03 AM
I blame her mother. Should have pushed harder. ;)

Had she known that Adelina would take up figure skating and that the extra day would make a difference, she may have been minded to use forceps!