PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Japan Open

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

bbkenn
10-01-2011, 04:35 PM
I think it is kind of funny that Patric indeed won again with three falls :D:D
It's his signature style now.

Considering he didn't fall after the early season last year, and landed clean quads at Worlds both in the short and long program to make it into the history books, I think it's time to get over the "signature style" comments and move on already....:blah:

skatesindreams
10-01-2011, 04:53 PM
^^^
This!

Zemgirl
10-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Considering he didn't fall after the early season last year, and landed clean quads at Worlds both in the short and long program to make it into the history books, I think it's time to get over the "signature style" comments and move on already....:blah:
Landing quads in both programs is hardly history making ;) (yes, I know you meant the scores). I think both points are fair. Chan was a deserving World Champion (though the margin over Kozuka was a bit much), but there have been other times when his performance did not merit high marks, yet he received them anyway. Having not seen anything from the Japan Open, I can't say if this is one such occasion. If it is, it's not like this is a particularly important event - but I would like to see him earn his wins this season, as he did in Moscow, rather than be handed them, as has been the case at times.

Marco
10-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Tuktamisheva was already scoring similar PCS to reigning world champion Ando and reigning GPF champion Czisny. This ought to make the GPs extremely interesting... (and nice to see Suzuki beating them all on PCS :P)

Triple Butz
10-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Tuktamisheva was already scoring similar PCS to reigning world champion Ando and reigning GPF champion Czisny. This ought to make the GPs extremely interesting... (and nice to see Suzuki beating them all on PCS :P)

it's ABOUT TIME. :)

aftershocks
10-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I think it is kind of funny that Patric indeed won again with three falls :D:D
It's his signature style now.

Just maybe fans can move on from such comments when/if Chan and judges can move on from falls/high rewards. In any case, the icenetwork caption reporting the results states: "Patrick Chan scored 159.93 for his free skate despite three falls." Reporting what happened and fans making comments is par for the course. As proved last season, judges rewarded Chan early in the season with falls, and he worked hard to eliminate falls knowing he'd been rewarded (as the judges love his other elements) in spite of the falls. He was superb at Worlds and obviously is still the man to beat going into this season. Some skaters have no leeway for falling, and Chan obviously does -- at least early in the season. Kudos to Chan for mastering the quad, and let's see how the rest of this season unfolds.

ITA re your comments, Zemgirl!

Looking forward to seeing vids posted from this event!

shutterbug
10-01-2011, 06:11 PM
OMG, Jeffy landed a 3axel. With positive GOE’s. Seriously wow. And Joannie is still doing 3flips and 3lutz’s. Wow again. How do we lure these two back into eligible competition? And good for Alissa to be attempting a 3 -3!

Definitely looking forward to seeing vids.

Vash01
10-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Patrick Chan
Allanjuez
in black with some red
4t hand then fall
4t3t beautiful
3a fall
ciss
fccosp
3z1lo3s
3lo
3f
f?c?ssp
big fall in the middle of the step. prob. he missed a jump because of the fall
3? or 2a. was not watching
slss
cosp

84.??

He won with 3 falls???

It should not surprise anyone since that happened at a GP last season, i think, but that may have been two programs combined.

skatesindreams
10-01-2011, 06:43 PM
With changing technical requirements, and a new program, I would be surprised if early season falls didn't happen.

Jenny81
10-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Thank you, Midori. :respec:

caseyedwards
10-01-2011, 07:08 PM
He won with 3 falls???

It should not surprise anyone since that happened at a GP last season, i think, but that may have been two programs combined.

At Skate Canada it was three falls the short and one in the long.

At Cup of Russia he barely lost with three falls in the Long and one in the short. It wasn't even the falls that cost him it was a Zayaking.

Jenna
10-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Glad that Alissa went for that 3-3 even if it was <<!

:eek: at Miki's score..

I think Liza winning here is just the tip of the iceberg. Wouldn't be surprised AT ALL to see her and Adelina on the podium in Nice.

casken
10-01-2011, 07:20 PM
OMG, Jeffy landed a 3axel. With positive GOE’s.

I know! He didn't even attempt it at the last two Japan Opens. That's great that he put it back in! :kickass: It was never a consistent jump for him.

Too bad he ran out of steam towards the end and doubled those jumps. I wonder if he could have won the FS here with the added TES and probably PCS from being totally perfect.

Has he officially done anything that has ended his amateur status? I mean if Lysacek is coming back... :shuffle:

bek
10-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by bbkenn
Considering he didn't fall after the early season last year, and landed clean quads at Worlds both in the short and long program to make it into the history books, I think it's time to get over the "signature style" comments and move on already....

So nobody's complaining about Patrick's world title. When he skates like that he deserves to win. But that doesn't mean he should be allowed to fall all over the place in the early season and get rewarded with scores close to the 160. IF Patrick skates like crap, Patrick's scores should reflect it.

In swimming Michael Phelps may be one of the best swimmers ever but when he shows up out of shape and doesnt' swim as well, his results reflect that (see this years worlds) Its not asking to much that the same standards apply to Patrick's skating.

One could point out that the judges telling Patrick he can fall 3 times and still score ridiculous high, puts less pressure on Patrick. Not to mention why bother even watching if Patrick can fall three times and still win.

Whats ridiculous about this is I strongly suspect that if Patrick were to skate like this at Worlds/Olympics his PCS would be a lot lower (or there would be a real scandal. Which makes the scenario even worse.

Jemestone
10-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Glad that Alissa went for that 3-3 even if it was <<!

:eek: at Miki's score..

I think Liza winning here is just the tip of the iceberg. Wouldn't be surprised AT ALL to see her and Adelina on the podium in Nice.

Their too young to compete in Nice. You can see them on the podium at the junior worlds though :D