PDA

View Full Version : Travel Suggestions

Maximillian
06-21-2011, 01:44 AM
Am going to be spending the next month or so in Europe and wondered if any of you natives or well travelled have any must sees. I will be in London on and off for a week and a half, then will be in Galway City, then Roundstone to see Family. Will be spending the majority of my time in Grenoble (yes, THE PEGGY FLEMING "My mother made my long program dress the color of Chartreuse, the liqueur native to that area" Grenoble!) Also a couple day in Paris. Yes, you should all be jealous.

I've been to London and Paris before so have seen the Tour Eiffel and the Globe, but know that there is tons of stuff I've missed. I would love for this to be a thread that people get carried away on, so get carried away.

KatieC
06-21-2011, 02:25 AM
I like bringing home goodies from Fortnam and Masons. And wandering around the Tower of London. You are lucky :).

Erica Lee
06-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Not sure where you're traveling from or how arranged your plans already are... but if you're coming from North America and by some freak of a chance you don't yet have your plane tickets.. consider flying Icelandair and doing a stopover in Rekyjavik while coming or going. Seriously the best thing I've ever done.

Otherwise... eat lots of bread! :-)

kia_4EverOnIce
06-23-2011, 08:30 PM
around Galway: Connemara is a must! and also the Aran Isles if you have half a day are very fascinating...like stepping back in time in beautiful nature!

London: I love museums, so I would say British, National Gallery, Victoria&Albert, but also Greenwich is great!

Paris: again museums (my favs: Louvre, Guimet, Quai Branly), but the must is going to the top of Notre Dame (is a different way than entering in the church). I went there up two years ago and you could see almost all Paris and it was really amazing (plus, Gargoyles!!! :) )

Grenoble: you're in the middle of National park and I would go see the Ecrins (mountains) or the Galibier (a famous place in the tour de France)...the city itself is not my favourite, but has a great ice rink ;)

... eat lots of bread! :-)

:confused: is it a way of saying?

Artemis@BC
06-23-2011, 09:10 PM
My quick picks:

Paris
~ Montmartre -- wear comfortable shoes, lots and lots of steps and cobbles. You could easily spend a day here.
~ La Cimetière du Père Lachaise. It's the final resting place of sooo many famous people, such as Sarah Bernhardt, Colette, Gertrude Stein, Oscar Wilde, Balzac, Modigliani, Bizet, Chopin, Heloise & Abelard, Marcel Marceau, Edith Piaf, and Jim Morrison. Aside from the history, it's an absolutely beautiful location. You can take one of the tours, or pick up a free map and explore on your own.
~ Walk along the Quays -- the banks of the Seine around Ile de la cite (pont des arts to pont sully).
~ ITA about going up the tower at Notre Dame. Also check out the Sainte Chapelle -- less crowded and has incredible stained glass, the walls are virtually taken up with glass. Its next to the Notre Dame.
~ Musee d'Orsay (all the impressionist paintings in an old railway station)
~ Les Galleries Layfayette (incredible department store near L'Opera). Resist the temptation to shout, "Layfayette, we are here!"

London
~ At least one London Walk (http://www.walks.com/). They're mostly "off the beaten path" tours of neighbourhoods, led by enthusiastic guides, and very reasonable. The evening ghost or Jack the Ripper ones are fun too. Esp. the ones that end in a pub. :cool:
~ The London Eye. It's touristy, but everyone should do it once. It's the best view of the city. Do it early to orient yourself.
~ If you really want to splurge, treat yourself to a tea at Clariges, Harrods, or Fortnum & Mason's.
~ Do at least one market. Portabello Road is good for the classic market experience, or Camden.
~ All the museums and art galleries are great, plus they're free! (donations requested) My faves are The British, V&A, Museum of the City of London, and the Tate Modern.
~ Go to Evensong at Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's. Beautiful.
~ Go to Highgate Cemetery on a Sunday afternoon for a tour of the west cemetery. Amazing.

Erica Lee
06-23-2011, 09:10 PM
:confused: is it a way of saying?

No, it means literally just that! I love the bread in europe... particularly France. Can't get anything like it here.

kia_4EverOnIce
06-23-2011, 11:00 PM
No, it means literally just that! I love the bread in europe... particularly France. Can't get anything like it here.

oh, sorry, I was surprised! Really? wow....I'm definetely too spoiled on that side of Atlantic...

then...my secret dream when I go abroad is finding a Starbuck (there isn't any in my country)! :rofl: