PDA

View Full Version : Period movies- and mini-series ... admirers here???

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Zokko!
06-20-2011, 06:53 AM
.. or am I the only hopeless one?

... and I'm not only talking about the obvious one's by Charles Dickens (wonder if he "counts"), Jane Austen and the Brontė sisters. How about Gaskell's "Cranford", "North & South", Eliot's "Middlemarch", Hardy's "Under the Greenwood Tree" and the wonderful, unbelievable melodramatic "Tess of the D'Urvervilles" ... and ... and ... - ?

Write about it! I'd love to read your unembarrassed gushing, or anything else! :)

PeterG
06-20-2011, 07:16 AM
We've been talking about classic movies, the King's Speech, Roots and the Thorn Birds in the movies thread (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79213).

Come join us! :cheer2: :D

Artemis@BC
06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Cranford was one of my all-time favourites (well, the first one was; the sequel not quite as much). Aside from the stellar cast, I loved how it made such a big deal out of the smallest details of everyday life.

Lark Rise to Candleford was another favourite, for many of the same reasons.

DarrellH
06-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Bright Star
Dangerous Liaisons (based on Les Liaisons dangereuses)

Nan
06-20-2011, 05:30 PM
I got "North and South" in the mail last week. I'm trying to decide between watching that today or cleaning out my closet. :lol:

BigB08822
06-20-2011, 05:45 PM
I have always loved these movies. I love the costumes and the way they speak differently. If it is done well, I almost always like these types of movies.

Wyliefan
06-20-2011, 05:47 PM
You'd better believe Dickens counts!!

(Says the girl who runs a Dickens blog! ;) )

Satellitegirl
06-20-2011, 05:53 PM
I got "North and South" in the mail last week. I'm trying to decide between watching that today or cleaning out my closet. :lol:

I was just going to mention North and South. God I love that movie/mini-series lol.

I can watch any of the Jane Austen movies, as well. Pride and Prejudice BBC mini series is probably my favorite.

The Patriot...love it(even if it does have crazy Mel Gibson in it).

flutzilla1
06-20-2011, 05:59 PM
The BBC's North and South is awesome. Richard Armitage is :swoon: x 1000.

Nan
06-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Maybe I'll do the closet after. ;)

nubka
06-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Faves of mine:

Gosford Park
A Handfull of Dust
Mansfield park (early BBC version)
Downton Abbey
Love for Lydia (the title is corny, but there's some great stuff there!)
Forsyte Saga (Damien Lewis version)
The Bachelor (Keith Carradine & Kristin Scott-Thomas)
Anything with Maggie Smith in it! :respec:

Wyliefan
06-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Maggie Smith is AWESOME. :respec:

Grannyfan
06-20-2011, 06:07 PM
I love period stuff! Besides those already mentioned, I've enjoyed The Aristocrats, He Knew He Was Right, The Cazalets, Berkeley Square, The Way We Live Now, Island at War and The Buccaneers to name a few. When I update my Netflix queue, I just search the Masterpiece Theater or BBC listings and start adding. :)

Masada is a good mini-series.

Something else I've enjoyed that I found by accident is a Canadian detective series called Murdoch Mysteries. Set in Toronto around 1900.

Allskate
06-20-2011, 06:16 PM
I love Pride and Prejudice (both the BBC version with Firth and the more recent movie).

I just watched The Crucible on DVD this weekend. I'd never seen it before. It was really good, though really sad since the story is inspired by real events.

Integrity
06-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Could watch North & South and The Way We Live Now over & over.

Adding on some favorites:

A Dickens that doesn't get as much mention as the usual suspects - Martin Chuzzlewit

Little Dorrit
Wives and Daughters

Just OK for me: for Tess, Daniel Deronda, Our Mutual Friend

ETA: Not really in the same category, but I loved HBOs John Adams.