PDA

View Full Version : ipad vs netbook vs cheap laptop

Pages : [1] 2 3

fan
06-20-2011, 12:36 AM
hi all,

my computer died on monday and since i'm noteknik, i need help. i use the computer for surfing the net, and storing my photos (~8000ish photos). i want something light, and under $500 CAD. i was originally thinking that i would get a netbook, but someone said that my amount of pictures would be too much for it and it would run super slowly. does anyone have an ipad? is it that much better than a netbook or laptop?

what should i do? thanks for any and all help1

DickButtonFan
06-20-2011, 12:42 AM
I think you're better off getting a laptop. An iPad isn't going to be enough memory. Or you could get the iPad and store your photos on icloud.

Angelskates
06-20-2011, 12:53 AM
The memory is what costs the money though DickButtonFan - it's impossible to get a cheap laptop with a lot of memory. My iPad has more than 8000 photos on it...it isn't a substitute for a computer (no USB ports :() but if you only use it to store photos and surf the net, I think it would be fine.

JumpinBug
06-20-2011, 12:56 AM
At less than $500, all you're going to get is a 16gb iPad, which isn't enough for what you want.

Photos being stored wouldn't cause a netbook to run slowly. That's really not that many pictures (I've taken 3000+ in a weekend), a netbook would be fine for storage of that many, including many more. Average space is from 160-250gb. But, for the most part they do run slower. It's not really noticeable at all when surfing, but is if you're trying to render some video files, or work with more complicated graphics programs (which you say you're not).

In laptops, there's not a lot in that price range that I'd recommend. I'd personally avoid Acer, but others will say to avoid HP and Dell. I'd head to Future Shop or etc. and take a look first, get an idea of size, weight, specs, then narrow it down and do some research.

DickButtonFan
06-20-2011, 01:16 AM
You can get a decent laptop for a good price. A laptop is always a better deal memory wise than an iPad unless you really want the iPad for fun. And iPad is a lot lighter and more comfortable to use. Do you ever watch skating streaming? If so you might want the laptop.

But It sounds like you should just go to the store and buy what you like since you mostly just browse. Play around with the iPad and different laptops and see what you have more fun using.

KikiSashaFan
06-20-2011, 02:40 AM
I have an LG netbook and I love it. I pretty much just use it for internet surfing, video streaming, word and excel stuff and uploading photos. It doesn't seem to be slow at all, even with a lot of stored files. You can always get an external hard drive and transfer as need be. I recently picked up a 1TB one for about a hundred bucks.

Aussie Willy
06-20-2011, 03:36 AM
I have a Leonova laptop which I got for $500 Australian. It works fine for what I need. However I store all my documents on an external hard drive instead of the laptop. That way if something happens to the laptop I haven't lost all my documents.

jp1andonly
06-20-2011, 05:18 AM
i have a netbook and got a great deal on it. If you are worried about using up all your memory the cost of a netbook can be under 300 and you can buy an external harddrive if you are worried.

I have a gateway netbook i got from futureshop and have been very pleased with it. Mine doesnt seem to run much slower then hubbys laptop though i use mine mainly for surfing the net and office. I dont have a lot of stuff on it.

PrincessLeppard
06-20-2011, 05:38 AM
I love my iPad, but I don't have a lot of photos on it.

Lara
06-20-2011, 05:48 AM
If you have no other computer at all I wouldn't go for a tablet at this time, despite Apple trying to make it feasible with iOS 5 (and the iPad being very nice to have).

From what you said I'd suggest looking into laptops with the recently released AMD Fusion processor. They're in the $500 range and allow for small, light computers that blow the old Intel Atoms away in functions like HD video playing. Not super powerful but better than a cheaper netbook. I think the HP DM1z was the first, but others have come out since. Good luck! :)

MacMadame
06-20-2011, 06:27 AM
I have an iPad. I put photos on it for viewing but I never would use it to manage my photos. It just isn't good for that sort of things. It's much easier and faster to do that on a laptop or desktop.

When I got the iPad, I thought I could get rid of my main computer and just use it but it isn't turning out that way. It's just not very good for content creation and I end up using it mostly to play solitaire. I don't even surf the web or do email much on it because too many web sites don't work on it (they use flash or flex) and responding to email is too much of a pain with the virtual keyboard.

Don't get me wrong... I enjoy my iPad and am not sorry I bought it. For one thing, it's nice for traveling because you can do email in the car (3G) and it takes up less room than a laptop.

But it's definitely a luxury and a nice-to-have and not a substitute for a real computer.

Garden Kitty
06-21-2011, 04:47 PM
My own view is that a basic computer is the first essential, and ipads and netbooks come after that if you have a use for one and the extra money.

Anita18
06-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Storing and viewing photos shouldn't be too much of a strain on a netbook. It's the rendering of programs that make computer run slowly, not the size of the hard drive.

I know people who have an iPad and love it, but it really depends on the websites you like to surf, because iPads don't do Flash. Many video-streaming sites are switching to HTML5 video so they're viewable without Flash, but there are still times where my bf asks to use my laptop to watch videos because he refuses to download Flash on his own laptop. :P

And obviously there's the lack-of-USB thing. You'd have to back up via online cloud storage if you wanted to go with an iPad.

As for laptops, my friend had a Vaio for a long time and she's vowed never to get another. :lol: So that's something...

vesperholly
06-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Great question! I am currently debating laptop vs. netbook too, because my main computer is a desktop behemoth (2003 and still going strong!) and I want something portable. iPad is out of the question due to cost and usability issues. A laptop would be the most practical but netbooks are just so freaking CUTE!

NancyNC
06-21-2011, 11:04 PM
As for laptops, my friend had a Vaio for a long time and she's vowed never to get another. :lol: So that's something...

I, on the other hand, adore my Vaio and would get another one in a heartbeat.