PDA

View Full Version : Dear Canadians - Are you getting mail?

Pages : [1] 2 3

A.H.Black
06-18-2011, 05:37 AM
I understand that there is a big mail strike going on in Canada. Over on Amazon, the third party sellers are being told that all mail service has been suspended.

Really?!?

No Mail?

Can those of you in Canada tell me whether or not you are receiving mail?

overedge
06-18-2011, 06:07 AM
No, we aren't.

There is back to work legislation pending in the Canadian parliament which may be passed next week.

victoriajh
06-18-2011, 06:27 AM
yup no mail- the lock out was on tuesday i think? bu i go days without any mail anyway so i dont hink i had any for a few days prior- not sure if that was lock out related or becasue i had none to deliver!!
gotta love it-
i was surprised that mail carriers make 25+ an hour and can be done work in 4 or 5 hours ( and get paid for 8)

personally i dont really get any mail anymore that is needed- all my bills are electronic and aside from info on extended bennefits ( or sending the darn reciepts in- not sure why they cant make that electronic!!) i dont really use it or notice... which is not really helping the casue i am guessing.....

Norlite
06-18-2011, 12:22 PM
gotta love it-
i was surprised that mail carriers make 25+ an hour and can be done work in 4 or 5 hours ( and get paid for 8).

Well, the ones who have been there over 20 years do, and not even all of them. Pay starts at $15.

And they're on the streets less than 8 hours. If you combine their area sorting duties, they put in an 8 hour day.

Garden Kitty
06-18-2011, 02:07 PM
One company I sometimes order from used to offer a choice of Canada Post and Purolator, but now they're just offering Purolator as an option for shipping

Really
06-18-2011, 02:29 PM
No mail. The impact certainly isn't as huge as it was 20 years ago when there was no digital commerce. But now, many people receive and pay money electronically, so some folks may not even realize there is a strike! However, for those who do still depend a great deal on Canada Post, it's a big problem.

I found it rather telling that the federal government announced intentions to put forth back-to-work legislation for striking Air Canada employees before they even mentioned the same for striking Canada Post employees.

KikiSashaFan
06-18-2011, 02:40 PM
No mail since Wednesday. I get all my bills online though, so unless I order something online or it's holiday season, I barely get any mail anyway.

A.H.Black
06-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I wish there were a cost effective way to ship to Canada from the US other than the postal service. UPS, Federal Express - just too costly on most things. Luckily I haven't had any orders from Canada this week. If I get one, though, I will have to cancel it. I'm guessing that many merchants in Canada are having a very bad time of it.

How do you feel about the mail service otherwise. I have always noticed that mail service to Canada is awfully slow and the customs is pretty expensive. I can send a package to Australia or New Zealand or even Japan and Korea and have it arrive much faster than to anywhere in Canada.

TygerLily
06-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I found it rather telling that the federal government announced intentions to put forth back-to-work legislation for striking Air Canada employees before they even mentioned the same for striking Canada Post employees.True, though that decision probably was connected to the rolling strike strategy that the Canada Post workers used. I actually liked that strike strategy because I learned about the union's issues in a way that was less disruptive to the public.

I thought it telling in a different way that they started planning the back to work legislation when the situation became a lock-out. Makes me think CP wasn't bargaining in good faith because it knew it could lock out the employees and get the back to work legislation.

---

I don't mind the mail system in Canada, though that might be because I know no other system. It's relatively cheap and if I want something to get somewhere quickly, I just send the item Xpress Post. Most of the time speed doesn't mater.

The lock out does impact me, though, because I've mailed in receipts for extended health plan benefits and am starting to stockpile more. That's a minor concern, though, since I know I can send them in when the lock out ends.

manhn
06-18-2011, 04:21 PM
I trade a lot of skating dvds so rely on Canada Post and, generally, they do a good job. I don't have any trades currently, so I am not affected on that front.

But I still get my bill statements in the mail and I still go to my bank to pay them. I can't be the only relic that does that.

victoriajh
06-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, the ones who have been there over 20 years do, and not even all of them. Pay starts at $15.

And they're on the streets less than 8 hours. If you combine their area sorting duties, they put in an 8 hour day.

I GOT MY INFO from an insude sourse:D he just retired - he was there at some crazy early hour but home in less than 5 hours every day- but he ran his route (literally) and is a bit ocd so i bet he was super great at sorting as well!!!!!
i bleive that they are saying the new peeps make 18? or is that what they want to pay them? i think the union wants 23? in my position we require a degree in a related field and 5 year expereince and i think we start at 19..... and we have no pension plan at all....

KatieC
06-18-2011, 05:24 PM
But I still get my bill statements in the mail and I still go to my bank to pay them. I can't be the only relic that does that.

You're not. Although I don't stand in line to pay them.

I like Canada Post. Except possibly the time I asked about registering a small package to Kenya. It would have been $60. to register a little baby dress I made for about $20. I didn't register it.

genegri
06-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Thank goodness I ordered my Maritime Canada travel books a few months back.

musicgurl
06-18-2011, 11:50 PM
From what I understand the postal workers will probably be back at work on Wednesday. The back to work legislation in expected to go through on Monday.

rjblue
06-19-2011, 02:11 AM
I get very irritated at how people complain about high wages (in their opinion) for jobs that just require practice, responsibility, tolerance of abuse, physical labour, and physical risk and discomfort, but don't require much formal education.

Jobs that do require formal education are often much more rewarding in a non-monetary way. That should be the compensation.

Personally, I think that the very highest wage should be paid to those who do the most non-rewarding job. Sorting garbage for recycling, working in slaughterhouses, that sort of thing.

Canada Post is extremely reliable for quick delivery if you pay for xpress post or priority post. The slowdown for foreign shipping is often the customs delay, I think.