PDA

View Full Version : Seattle, WA

Pages : [1] 2 3

DBZ
06-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey everyone,

I'll be traveling to Seattle, WA for the first time next weekend, and was wondering if anyone can give me some recommendations on nice hotels in the downtown area that'll book relatively on short notice.

My price range is about $175/night, so nothing too fancy, but I'd like to avoid ending up in a hovel if I can.

I did some online searching, but there's so much crap to weed through, and I need to make a decision soon. I thought asking here might cut through all that and I can get some real insight from people who have visited often or live there.

Any and all inputs would be great, thanks.

Also, I'm looking for good recs on restaurants in downtown Seattle--especially good seafood places--if anyone has them.

Much appreciated. :)

genevieve
06-17-2011, 09:54 PM
I can't say about hotels - I don't stay in them here as I'm just up the hill and my family stays in BnBs near my home - but here are restaurant recommendations for downtown:

Tom Douglas restaurants (http://tomdouglas.com/)- he's opened a lot of new ones and may be spreading himself thin, but the first 4 are still very worthy: Etta's (seafood focus, just N of Pike Place Market), Palace Kitchen, Dahlia Lounge (higher end; amazing food) and Lola (mediterranean focus)

Emmet Watson's Oyster Bar (http://emmettwatsonsoysterbar.com/) in PP Market, for fun!

Matt's in the MArket (http://www.mattsinthemarket.com/[/url) - omg yes! Small place, can be hard to get into.

I haven't been to Tavolata (http://ethanstowellrestaurants.com/tavolata/), but I've heard very good things (Italian). It's an Ethan Stowell restaurant, and he's kind of the next big noise here in the Tom Douglas vein.

Wann's (http://www.wann-izakaya.com/) is a place I discovered a couple years ago when looking for a spot for an out of town guest and I loved it - been meaning to go back

If you're willing to go outside the downtown area, let me know, I'll have more suggestions

Allskate
06-17-2011, 10:04 PM
The last time I was in Seattle, I was able to get a good hotel price at the last minute through Priceline. It was about half off. Take a look at the area where you want to be and see which hotels have the price you want, the number of stars you want, and overwhelmingly good reviews/ratings. That should cut down significantly on your options.

overedge
06-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Mr. Overedge went to Seattle last weekend, and the cheapest non-hovel hotel he was able to find downtown was the Holiday Inn Express City Center, which was just over $150 on hotels.com.

If you don't absolutely have to be downtown, I would recommend the Watertown or the University Inn in the U district, both of which are usually priced around your price range. There is frequent bus service to downtown two blocks away, about a 15-20 minute ride depending on time of day and how far into downtown you're going. The Watertown has a shuttle service that will take you anywhere in the downtown core but you have to book it in advance. Both are very quiet hotels and really nice - the Watertown rate includes a breakfast buffet which is excellent.

manhn
06-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Is there a community center or gym that accepts non members for a day in Downtown? I am going this weekend. Looking forward to the Downtown Nordstrom Rack!

Tinami Amori
06-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Next weekend is going to be hard to find a centre hotel, for 175 USD that is "nice". There are few conferences and events going on, and you will be lucky to find rooms close to $200 - $ 230 USD right in the tourist centre in a "nice" hotel even if it is not fancy.

If you have to be under 175 USD, one of few options right now is:
Seattle Pacific Hotel.

It's not a dive, it's "motel style", it is technically in the "centre", but actually it's 4 blocks to the side of Space Needle, and from there you'll have to walk 4-5 blocks to tourist central streets (and it's not a good idea to walk there alone late at night).

skatesindreams
06-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Looking forward to the Downtown Nordstrom Rack!

Enjoy!
You'll be busy.

ks777
06-17-2011, 11:53 PM
I live in Everett, WA but I never go to Seattle so I have no clue. When a friend of mine came to seattle, he stayed at the W hotel.

luna_skater
06-17-2011, 11:55 PM
I travel to Seattle frequently on business, and have stayed at the following, with no complaints:

The Arctic (priciest of the three)
Executive Hotel Pacific
Best Western Pioneer Square

I book through a corporate site, so the rates I get may be different than their standard rates, but in the past the EHP and BWPS were both less than $150/night.

I've stayed at these locations due to their close proximity to the office. They're all walkable to Pioneer Square, and I have walked to EMP, though it was a bit of a hike. It's about a 30 minute cab ride to the airport from these locations, and they're also close to the airport train/shuttle/whatchimacallit, if you're flying.

genevieve
06-18-2011, 12:05 AM
If you don't absolutely have to be downtown, I would recommend the Watertown or the University Inn in the U district, both of which are usually priced around your price range. There is frequent bus service to downtown two blocks away, about a 15-20 minute ride depending on time of day and how far into downtown you're going. The Watertown has a shuttle service that will take you anywhere in the downtown core but you have to book it in advance. Both are very quiet hotels and really nice - the Watertown rate includes a breakfast buffet which is excellent.
Much closer to downtown would be Queen Anne. The Marqueen and The Maxwell are nice hotels - looks like they are both sold out next weekend, but there may be some last minute deals or availability through travel sites.

Or of course Capitol Hill :cheer2: May be funkier than you're looking for, but it's very easy to get downtown (walk or bus). Gaslight Inn is where my mom always stays: http://www.gaslight-inn.com/rooms.html

Keep in mind that next weekend is Pride Weekend in Seattle. There will be a gigantic parade/celebration downtown for most of Sunday morning/early afternoon, in the middle of the shopping core. Here (http://www.seattlepride.org/parade-route.html) is the parade route if you want to avoid it (or better yet, join the fun). Expect many gays and those who love them to be all over downtown, and a few asshat protesters too.

It's about a 30 minute cab ride to the airport from these locations, and they're also close to the airport train/shuttle/whatchimacallit, if you're flying.
Light rail :)

luna_skater
06-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Light rail :)

Yes! My city has one too, but my words were failing me. Friday brain. :D

genevieve
06-18-2011, 12:22 AM
I love the light rail ride to/from the airport!

LastEmpress
06-18-2011, 01:56 AM
I second the suggestion for the University Inn! A friend and I stayed there in March and got a coupon for a third night free if we stayed two. It was definitely worth it. Good location (not 'downtown' but close enough and there's a shuttle), nice, clean rooms, and a nice breakfast spread.

I also second Genevieve's suggestion of Tom Douglas restaurants. I ate at Etta's (amazing seafood) and Serious Pie (pizza themed) and both were incredible meals. Le Panier, which is the French bakery across the street from Pike's Place Market has amazing pastries and macarons. And if you want something else sweet, both Trophy and Yellow Leaf Cupcakes are to die for. I preferred Trophy, but it's not downtown.

Have fun! I love Seattle. :)

DBZ
06-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

I've been comparing hotels and prices and it does seem difficult to book a room downtown on my budget only a week out.

However, there are some nice looking ones available in Bellevue. Anyone been there? If so, is the neighborhood decent?

And more importantly, how easy is it to drive into the city? Google maps says around 20 minutes depending on traffic.

genevieve
06-18-2011, 03:31 AM
it's not that hard to drive from Bellevue to Seattle (unless the bridges are scheduled to be closed or there's a game) - although parking in downtown Seattle can be frustrating. Keep in mind what I said about Pride - you will NOT want to drive into downtown on Sunday.

Bellevue isn't a neighborhood, it's a city of its own. it's not very walkable - the main shopping is at a mall. It's pretty much a ritzy suburb. But there are some other towns on the east side that are cute - Kirkland for one.