PDA

View Full Version : Universal Sports coming to Direct TV (threads merged)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Rob
06-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Psyched for Universal Sports!!!!!!!! I already have the sports package.

I have DirecTV and it goes out in storms. Depending on the storm, it might go out for a few hours or the picture might just break up for a few minutes. I live in an area with mature tall trees so we have to make sure we keep them pruned back or we get interference. We did have several issues with bad installations/equipment. I had one DVR fail, but they replaced it for free with an updated model. The first install didn't last, and I had not bought the service plan so it cost $75 for them to come fix it. Then I bought the plan. A while later, the satellite dish I got went bad so they replaced it at no charge. Moral of the story -- buy the service plan. They installed the wrong DVR once (non HD) when I ordered HD, so they sent an HD DVR and didn't charge the difference. That install wound up being bad, and it took about a week for them to come fix it. Waiting a long time for an appointment is also true of Verizon, Comcast in my area. Even worse for Verizon, Comcast. Before I got DirecTV, it took me 3 1/2 weeks to get Comcast fixed one time (right through the Good Will Games). And during Pairs short in Torino 2006, Comcast went out in a mild storm and I had to run to a sports bar to watch.

rfisher
06-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Install problems really vary with DirectTV because they contract that out so your service and quality depends in large part on that contractor. I've had really good ones and I've had not so good. Letting DirectTV know if you have a problem does help, especially if you tell them to either get it fixed or you'll drop the service. :EVILLE: They want the business and will see to it you get the problem fixed. Which reminds me, now that we'll have Universal sports, I need an HD receiver for the TV in the office.

Bonita
06-18-2011, 10:09 PM
OMG, I'm so excited! I got DirectTV because they had the Oxygen channel (the year that skating was on Oxygen) but became totally hooked and stuck with it because I love the programming. It did suck missing Worlds, though.

As to the dish/service going out, not once for us. Location on the house is very important. We had a terrible blizzard here this winter and had 100% good service. They have also been very quick with repairs. It's expensive after the first year, but I love it.

Sassafras
06-19-2011, 02:29 AM
I have had DirecTV since 1994. The original receiver (not fancy) and the old dish still work fine and I also have one of the recording ones for the last few years. I have never had any service or equipment problems. Figure I'm about due.

The signal has rarely gone out. Sometimes for a few minutes if there is a lot of hail aloft in a thunderstorm in the direction the antenna is pointed. Yes, the dish can fill with snow, but I have mine on the deck rail outside the back door and if it loads up, I just open the door and reach out with a broom and clear it.

mpal2
06-21-2011, 04:55 PM
I have had DirecTV since 1994. The original receiver (not fancy) and the old dish still work fine and I also have one of the recording ones for the last few years. I have never had any service or equipment problems. Figure I'm about due.

You might be eligible for a free upgrade. I had the local channels package which meant a 2nd dish. They changed the signal for local channels and gave me a new dish and receivers. They took away the 2 old dishes but I still have the receivers because I supposedly own those now. I have no clue what I'm going to do with them.

ilovesalchows
06-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Here in Portland, OR it is available over the airwaves, without cable. It is channel 32-3, I believe.

rfisher
06-21-2011, 09:29 PM
You might be eligible for a free upgrade. I had the local channels package which meant a 2nd dish. They changed the signal for local channels and gave me a new dish and receivers. They took away the 2 old dishes but I still have the receivers because I supposedly own those now. I have no clue what I'm going to do with them.

If you have a recycling center or a Habitat for Humanity rehab store, they should take them. They did mine.

I'll wait to add the sports package in September. In addition to skathing, this means I'll have coverage for the summer Olympics next summer. :D

jamesy
06-21-2011, 11:03 PM
I'll wait to add the sports package in September. In addition to skathing, this means I'll have coverage for the summer Olympics next summer. :D

It sounds like Universal might have a lot of preliminary/Olympic Trial stuff but not actual Olympic coverage (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118038642?refCatId=14).

DirecTV has about 19.4 million U.S. customers with an additional 10 million in Latin America. The agreement comes at a fortuitous time: Universal Sports airs plenty of footage of Olympic contenders outside the Games, and with the London Olympics coming up in 2012, expectations around those competitors will be high.

The net will not, however, air any footage of the Olympic Games themselves because it is not 100% owned by NBCU. It will provide on-site commentary without direct coverage of the competitions.

rfisher
06-22-2011, 02:04 AM
It sounds like Universal might have a lot of preliminary/Olympic Trial stuff but not actual Olympic coverage (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118038642?refCatId=14).

Sigh. :(

NancyNC
06-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Woooooo-hooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! We have had DirecTV for years (no cable out here in the sticks) and I have been dying for them to add Universal Sports. I am a happy girl. :rollin:

euterpe
06-22-2011, 06:53 PM
I've had DirecTV for about 10 years. I've had service outages lasting about a day for a major snowstorm to a few minutes for local rainstorms. But that is acceptable when compared to the cable service I had prior to DirecTV. Cable service was frequently interrupted for hours for no apparent reason, and the cable company was completely indifferent to complaints. I finally had it and switched to DirecTV and would never go back to cable.

FigureSpins
06-23-2011, 04:24 AM
If you have a recycling center or a Habitat for Humanity rehab store, they should take them. They did mine.

I think the access cards are supposedly the property of DirecTV and you're supposed to return them. There used to be a huge black market for those cards because they could be hacked to steal the service somehow. (Never looked into it, myself.)

Japanfan
06-24-2011, 03:48 AM
$150/year is $12.50/month. That's 2.5 non-fat mochas a month. Or one movie.

I have not received any US coverage from this past season yet from my American trader, but if the coverage is the same as what I received for the 09/10 season, then I'd give up watching Bridesmaids.

So we get Direct TV in Canada?

manhn
06-24-2011, 03:56 AM
No, Canadians probably won't ever get Universal Sports, like we don't have ESPN (or ever will). But I'm still happy for Americans.

Badams
07-27-2011, 09:27 PM
It's here! Today! on Direct TV, channel 625!