PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Debbie S
06-16-2011, 01:50 AM
(Sorry, was it a stress or regular fracture of the tibia?) (For Rachael.)It was a stress fracture. If it had been a full fracture, she would not have been able to walk, much less skate.

Angelskates
06-16-2011, 01:53 AM
Her results are not what she is being punished for.

Do you think she would have been reprimanded and fined if she had won or medalled?

skateboy
06-16-2011, 01:55 AM
If Rachael broke a rule and has to pay the price, so be it.

But the degree that this girl has been villified is despicable. She "cost the US ladies three spots." OMG, US ladies figure skating is OVER! Crucify her!

For geez sake, this is the first year in an Olympic quadrennial. And while Mirai is certainly a talented skater, some people act as though she's the second coming of Michelle Kwan. Sorry, she's not. She will have a chance to make Worlds next year and probably will. She'll be fine.

AliasJohnDoe
06-16-2011, 01:55 AM
USFSA made the right decision regarding Flatt. Skating at Worlds is different than skating for yourself at Nats and the GPs. Worlds is a "team" effort. She wasn't a "team" player for the US ladies.

I can't wait to see what the USFSA does with Tom Z. I'm personally relieved so many of his skaters have left him after this season. Hopefully his reprimand is 10X's harsher than Rachael recieved.

Proustable
06-16-2011, 01:58 AM
Would this have happened if Alissa Czisny won Worlds (1 + 12, giving the third spot)?

overedge
06-16-2011, 02:01 AM
Do you think she would have been reprimanded and fined if she had won or medalled?

The poster I quoted was talking about her results throughout the season, not just at Worlds. I don't know how she could have won or medalled at Worlds with the injury she had, so I'm not sure that your question is a reasonable one.

LilJen
06-16-2011, 02:11 AM
Wow. I am VERY surprised to see this. And glad that the USFS is enforcing its written policy. Eagerly awaiting some action against her coach.

Really
06-16-2011, 02:13 AM
Congratulations to the Flatt haters.

But the degree that this girl has been villified is despicable. She "cost the US ladies three spots." OMG, US ladies figure skating is OVER! Crucify her!

For geez sake, this is the first year in an Olympic quadrennial. And while Mirai is certainly a talented skater, some people act as though she's the second coming of Michelle Kwan. Sorry, she's not. She will have a chance to make Worlds next year and probably will. She'll be fine.I find some semblance of truth in each of the above comments...

As someone else mentioned, when was the last time a skater was fined and/or reprimanded for skating through an injury? Or at all? I'm just a little disturbed by this decision at all. Athletes of all sorts compete with and through injury all the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The level of vitriol and calls for the guillotine being directed at this girl just boggles the mind.

Sad...

AliasJohnDoe
06-16-2011, 02:14 AM
Would this have happened if Alissa Czisny won Worlds (1 + 12, giving the third spot)?

Why wouldn't it?

The reprimand and fine were for not reporting the injury to the USFSA.

In my little rose-colored fantasy world...Alissa did win Worlds!!! :swoon:

Skittl1321
06-16-2011, 02:17 AM
As someone else mentioned, when was the last time a skater was fined and/or reprimanded for skating through an injury?

Well according to the article, this is the first time this has happened. (And it said in Olympic Sports- not figure skating!!!)

However, do we know of another US Figure Skater who did not disclose an injury, and had it come out later? It's not skating injured that she is being reprimanded for. It's not telling the federation she was injured.

LilJen
06-16-2011, 02:20 AM
I find some semblance of truth in each of the above comments...

As someone else mentioned, when was the last time a skater was fined and/or reprimanded for skating through an injury? Or at all? I'm just a little disturbed by this decision at all. Athletes of all sorts compete with and through injury all the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The level of vitriol and calls for the guillotine being directed at this girl just boggles the mind.

Sad...

I agree with people needing to calm down, but as has been noted in this thread (1) Rachael is funded (at least partly) by the USFS, (2) USFS funding mandates that the athlete keep USFS apprised of any injuries (which she and her coach did not do, in direct violation of a written and signed agreement), and (3) this was a stress fracture TO HER TIBIA. ON HER *LANDING LEG.*
I'll note again that a stress fracture to the main supporting bone on your lower leg is NOT THE SAME as a stress fracture to a toe (Lysacek 2009, Bradley 2010).

No, the world will not end because the US doesn't have 3 spots for the ladies at Worlds, but it is disappointing because there were great hopes that this would be the year that the spot could be earned back. For the first time in, what, 5 years?

foreverkwanfan
06-16-2011, 02:45 AM
I'm a little confused, why are people saying she's not skating next season? Does it say that in the article and I just missing it?

hirshey girl
06-16-2011, 02:47 AM
I'll note again that a stress fracture to the main supporting bone on your lower leg is NOT THE SAME as a stress fracture to a toe (Lysacek 2009, Bradley 2010).

Exactly! And again, both skaters reported their injuries to the USFSA prior to the competition, IIRC. That's the big difference right there. I truly hope that this will push the USFSA to monitor skaters a bit closer, especially those known to be injured during the season. If they do nothing to Tom Z, I will be :mad:.

Proustable
06-16-2011, 02:51 AM
Why wouldn't it?

The reprimand and fine were for not reporting the injury to the USFSA.

In my little rose-colored fantasy world...Alissa did win Worlds!!! :swoon:

Would Hersch really have pursued it if they were good enough to get three spots? If Hersh didn't pursue it, would an offhand comment Flatt made at a press conference really have been met with such consternation from the federation itself?

Coco
06-16-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm concerned that this publicity about RF's reprimand is coming before Tom Z.'s. He's just as guilty, imo. I thought he kind of threw her under the bus in his comments after the Championships. I *highly doubt* he was in the dark on this one. He tried to imply her poor performance was caused by "nerves." The only nerves involved were the ones connected to her injured leg.

I hope the message other skaters don't take from this is "skate injured and flop = punishment." But obviously, if she'd skated well, this would be a non-issue.

I think skaters and coaches will still risk it.