PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Cheylana
06-16-2011, 12:51 AM
On another forum, someone said that now no skater will ever admit to an injury for fear of this reprimand. Do you think this will just teach skaters to never admit to an injury after a competition?
I was thinking that it might cause skaters not to get pain and other symptoms checked out before a competition, but instead to compete through undiagnosed pain. No diagnosis --> no disclosure requirement (I assume).

Having said that, I think USFS made the right call (and I do like Rachael).

rfisher
06-16-2011, 12:51 AM
The thing is, it really is Rachael's fault although inadvertently. She was the one who let the cat out of the proverbial bag when she talked about the injury during the press conference. If she'd just said she had a bad skate and hadn't tried to justify it because of the injury, nothing would have happened. Note to skaters: don't try to justify if you have a bad skate. Just say I wasn't my best today and move on.

And Mirai won't have Racheal to blame this season. Her silly mistakes will be on her. I hope she's matured enough to not make them.

Jenna
06-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Congratulations to the Flatt haters.

Wow, you're really immature.

This is not a time for congratulating Flatt "haters." Nobody is the winning party in this instance. However, as a fan with an opinion, I think the correct decision was made. The problem was not the fact that Rachael competed, it is that Rachael and her team purposefully concealed a stress fracture to the tibia from US Figure Skating, which is a direct violation of US Figure Skating policy as set forth in the 2010-2011 rule book. Since this rule was broken, Rachael has to pay a fine and I'm pretty sure Tom Zakrajsek will have to pay one too. That's it.

Athena
06-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Didn't Evan compete with a stress fracture while being coached by Frank?

Yes, but it didn't affect his ability to compete, and he won the world title that year. In 2008, however, Evan got an injury significant enough to affect his skating ability, and Frank notified Tom Z (coach of the alternate Jeremy Abbott then) and USFS right away so they could get ready for the competition in time.

Sylvia
06-16-2011, 01:07 AM
The problem was not the fact that Rachael competed, it is that Rachael and her team purposefully concealed a stress fracture to the tibia from US Figure Skating, which is a direct violation of US Figure Skating policy as set forth in the 2010-2011 rule book.
Just to clarify -- "purposefully concealed" is being assumed here and it's not the USFS rulebook, but as posted earlier:

Probably not, but unfortunately, it's her signature on the Team USA agreement. I think coaches sign something as well, so maybe USFS will hand down some judgement against her coach.

Skittl1321
06-16-2011, 01:09 AM
I am pretty shocked by this, because as it says it is unprecedented. I didn't even know USFSA could do this sort of thing, since they never have before.

Doesn't the federation bear some responsibility as well? Why do they not monitor their athletes?

What a fiasco? And some new excitement to the off-season that has just far been just a game of music chairs.

skatemommy
06-16-2011, 01:20 AM
I hope that USFS and PSA have the guts to go after Tom Z. Agreed that Rachael has been ceremonially thrown under the bus.

Angela-Fan
06-16-2011, 01:24 AM
((Rachel)) :(

overedge
06-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Well, considering she hasn't brought in the results USFS were expecting, I can't say I'm surprised.

Her results are not what she is being punished for.

Mayra
06-16-2011, 01:27 AM
On another forum, someone said that now no skater will ever admit to an injury for fear of this reprimand. Do you think this will just teach skaters to never admit to an injury after a competition?

I think it depends on the skater, the injury, the competition and how well the skater is training.

I can't imagine the USFS cares whether an American is competing injured or undertrained on the GP because the replacement may come from a completely different country and it doesn't affect the "team." For example Emily Hughes at TEB a few years ago. I'd say the same goes for Nationals.

Worlds and the Olympics are a whole other ball game and they should be. You can't go to the biggest competition of the season and skate like a brick and then blame it on an injury. Not if the results directly affect other athletes and there are competitive athletes waiting in the wings.

I imagine that most skaters are competing while injured or suffering from some ailment. If it doesn't affect the performance, then own up to it and it won't be an issue (V&M, Lysacek etc).

The other exception I can think of is if you are someone like Yu-Na Kim and you are basically *it*. Sure there are decent skaters in Korea, but lets face it, Yu-Na could probably do better injured than any alternate could on their best day.

JMO

Vagabond
06-16-2011, 01:32 AM

No. The truth will out.

As was discussed in the other thread, the USFSA has some access to skaters' medical information, though no one who posted there seems to have personal knowledge as to exactly how much access. It seems likely that, at a minimum, the Federation has access to reports of a skater's mandatory annual physical examination, which would likely reveal the existence of a prior injury -- at least one like Flatt's fractured tibia.

RD
06-16-2011, 01:37 AM

If the performance is bad enough, the red flag may be raised anyway. At least I hope it is.

Honestly, if they would just require monthly monitoring (and perhaps weekly monitoring of World team skaters between Nats and Worlds), all this would have been, and can be, avoided.

SamuraiK
06-16-2011, 01:41 AM
To be honest I find it a bit double-standard ish Rachael gets fined when just last year Ryan Bradley skated at Worlds with a very of public knowledge broken/fractured foot/ankle (can't remember exactly the nature of the injury) and people were nothing but supportive to him for still competing to fullfill his dream. But Of course he wasn't the one USFS and fans were hoping to secure the 3 spots:shuffle::rolleyes:

That said, I hope this sets a solid precedent and I agree it should affect the coach aswell.

Lacey
06-16-2011, 01:42 AM
(Sorry, was it a stress or regular fracture of the tibia?) (For Rachael.)

Mayra
06-16-2011, 01:46 AM
To be honest I find it a bit double-standard ish Rachael gets fined when just last year Ryan Bradley skated at Worlds with a very of public knowledge broken/fractured foot/ankle (can't remember exactly the nature of the injury) and people were nothing but supportive to him for still competing to fullfill his dream. But Of course he wasn't the one USFS and fans were hoping to secure the 3 spots:shuffle::rolleyes:

Actually Ryan disclosed his injury prior to competing and after monitoring by the USFS was cleared to compete. (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100318&content_id=8827414&vkey=ice_news)