PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52

Triple Butz
06-29-2011, 05:08 PM
No, FRANK WAS QUOTED AS SAYING THAT IN A NEWSPAPER ARTICLE. AND I AM NOT GOING TO SPEND HOURS TRYING TO FIND THE ARTICLE . Believe me or not. Her own mother alluded to it in another article. What does this have to do with Michelle? It shows the USFSA is sometimes selective about enforcing safety policies when it is to their advantage not to do so imo.

Well, there are a lot of Michelle fans out there who follow coverage on her pretty closely and so far, you're the only person who has seen this information in print. If you can't back up your source, it's gossip, speculation, a rumor, etc. That's just the way it is.

kwanette
06-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Well, there a lot of Michelle fans out there who follow coverage on her pretty closely and so far, you're the only person who has seen this information in print. If you can't back up your source, it's gossip, speculation, a rumor, etc. That's just the way it is.

;)

mpal2
06-29-2011, 05:10 PM
It shows the USFSA is sometimes selective about enforcing its safety policies when it is to their advantage imo.

Hysterics much?

And no it doesn't prove anything about the selectivity of USFSA enforcing their policies. We have already established early on that there are some injuries more serious than others. We also know that other skaters have gone to competitions with injuries but we don't know the extent of their injuries either. Unless we have someone's medical records in front of us (and we won't), we don't know how selective USFSA is and where their injury cutoff point is.

As for Michelle Kwan, we don't know the extent of her injury at the time she was competing in years prior to the 2006 Olympics. What we do know is that she had a pretty consistent record of showing that she could skate somewhat decently with whatever level of injury she was at. When her injury became worse, as in worse to the point where she didn't know if she could skate, she gave the alternate (Emily Hughes) enough time to prepare and get to the Olympics which means she followed the damn rules because we did get all of our ladies spots filled even though she withdrew.

Rachael didn't follow the rules and didn't even give the USFSA a chance to evaluate the level of her injury. They may have let her go to the competition anyway. We don't know what they would have chosen. The point is, she didn't follow the rule for us to find out.

All of the above means we don't know how selective USFSA is with regards to injuries. Try to make a logical point rather than pointing to random bits of facts to uphold your opinion.

Badams
06-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Pete and Repeat were walking down the street. Pete got lost, who's left?

LadyNit
06-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Pete and Repeat walked over a bridge. Pete fell in and who was left?

sk8er1964
06-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Pete and Repeat walked over a bridge. Pete fell in. Would Repeat please jump in after him?

nubka
06-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Who cares?

kittyjake5
06-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Who cares?

Apparently Pete and Repeat. ;)

leafygreens
06-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I don' t know how well this system has worked out. Who knows how many didn't make the faux pas that Rachael did of telling the world about an injury after a competition (one, that is. that hadn't been reported to USFSA)? As to protecting the skaters' health, I remember Frank saying Michelle had a problem that needed surgery well in advance of her last worlds, yet USFSA let her skate. In the COI appearances following that event, Michelle was often spotted walking with great difficulty after her performances.

Ignoring Pete, Michelle was always able to deliver, even with injury, whereas Rachael is not. The worst Michelle ever got was a one-time 4th place in 10 years. Every other time she competed she medaled. Rachael is languishing in the 8th-place area, medals occasionally, but cannot be compared to the Kween. The message being sent here is not that you can't compete with injury, but if you do, the fed needs to know and you better damn well be able to deliver when it counts. If we compare Michelle's worst injury (Oly 2006) to Rachael's worst injury (Worlds 2011) there is a huge discrepancy. Michelle's injury was monitored and scrutinized and she had to prove herself ready to compete. The only reason this is even a topic is because Rachael earned 2nd place at nationals, and many think this means she earned a spot on the world team and can do whatever she wants. Whereas Michelle only had to keep her injury open because she was petitioning for a spot that she didn't earn at nationals. But Rachael did not earn a spot on the world team due to nationals because the 2nd spot is up to committee decision. If she had been required to be monitored, let's speculate what would have happened.

UGG
06-30-2011, 03:06 AM
I don' t know how well this system has worked out. Who knows how many didn't make the faux pas that Rachael did of telling the world about an injury after a competition (one, that is. that hadn't been reported to USFSA)? As to protecting the skaters' health, I remember Frank saying Michelle had a problem that needed surgery well in advance of her last worlds, yet USFSA let her skate. In the COI appearances following that event, Michelle was often spotted walking with great difficulty after her performances.

Michelle was 3rd in the free skate with her most crappiest program in her life. I don't think she was as injured as Rachel.

AndyWarhol
06-30-2011, 03:16 AM
Michelle was 3rd in the free skate with her most crappiest program in her life. I don't think she was as injured as Rachel.

I dont think one can judge who was more injured. One could say that MK was a better competitor/skater.

UGG
06-30-2011, 03:26 AM
I dont think one can judge who was more injured. One could say that MK was a better competitor/skater.

Well I agree with that and I know Michelle's injury made her program what it was. But no matter how good a competitor you are, an injury is an injury. Look at what happened to her at the Olympics.

AndyWarhol
06-30-2011, 03:39 AM
Yes, Michelle required surgery post Olympics. Thus far, Rachel has not.

Mathman
06-30-2011, 04:01 AM
Here is what Raphael Arutunian had to say about Michelle's injury.

(Interviewer) I still don’t understand how Kwan found the strength to live through the Turin nightmare. The injury, then the forced withdrawal from competition…

(Arutunian) She had a surgery right after the Olympics. When Michelle returned from Turin to America, she was in so much pain she couldn’t walk or sit normally. I was in shock myself. When we first started working together, Kwan at times complained that she could feel the bones in her pelvis “move within”. I could never understand how this was possible. However, analysis at the clinic showed that the right “wing” of the pelvis has been splitting away from the base. So Kwan has been struggling though this for two years before the Turin Games.

This is how our session sometimes went. Michelle would arrive, and begin to skate around the rink. I’d only look at her facial expression. If she shook her head ever so slightly when she passed me, I knew we wouldn’t have a session that day. That her hip hurt so much she can’t handle it. When things would get really bad, Michelle would go to see some Chinese doctor in Los Angeles, and he could somehow return the bones into place.

http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/3461.html

kwanfan1818
06-30-2011, 06:22 AM
I think the point trying to be made upthread is that if an injury is serious enough to be a safety issue, it's a safety issue, regardless of how the athlete performs or places.