PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

kwanatic
06-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Amazing that a skater who everyone finds so "flat" and "boring" has inspired a 31-page thread. :shuffle: I hope Rachael never, ever reads here.

Rachael has supplied the drama for the off-season with this whole Tibia-gate thing at worlds and the subsequent reprimand and fine. Last year it was the Kim/Orser split, this year it's Rachael and what happens next...

I'd hope she doesn't read this thread either...unless she's reading the fashion threads b/c she seriously needs to revamp her style next season. The move to California should do her some good. New city, new coach, new school...hopefully we'll see a new Rachael...

Gotta love the off-season!:D

RD
06-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Rachael has supplied the drama for the off-season with this whole Tibia-gate thing at worlds and the subsequent reprimand and fine.

Well, there's been all the splits as well...and the Wagner to CA thread was also starting to get long when this happened. So even without this, the off-season would still have plenty of drama.

kwanatic
06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Well, there's been all the splits as well...and the Wagner to CA thread was also starting to get long when this happened. So even without this, the off-season would still have plenty of drama.

I love drama! I can admit it...:shuffle:

RockTheTassel
06-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Frankly, saying you HOPE that's the case IS offensive. I personally hope at least one of the old guard makes it-I know from my experiece with each Olympic cycle that it is unlikely all the top three performers today will likely make the team by Sochi. But I hope at least one or two do.

And if that spites those who seem dismissive of their talent and want new faces on the scene-so be it.

I'm with you, and I'm hoping at least one "old" US lady makes the Sochi team. I don't get why people are saying that these girls are not talented. Do they compare every US skater that comes along to Kwan? That's the only way you'd come to the conclusion that they're terrible. No other nation has more than one lady that's as good, except for Japan and perhaps Russia.

I think the US ladies lack consistency and experience, not talent. Perhaps at this point, there's been such a fuss about getting back three spots that they feel more pressure than usual going into Worlds. I hope that they get out of their rut, but I'll enjoy their skating even if they don't.

TheIronLady
06-25-2011, 12:47 AM
I think the US ladies lack consistency and experience, not talent. Perhaps at this point, there's been such a fuss about getting back three spots that they feel more pressure than usual going into Worlds. I hope that they get out of their rut, but I'll enjoy their skating even if they don't.

I don't think there's any reason to believe Rachael or Alissa were emotionally taxed by thinking about getting back those three spots.

Robeye
06-25-2011, 03:56 AM
I'm with you, and I'm hoping at least one "old" US lady makes the Sochi team. I don't get why people are saying that these girls are not talented. Do they compare every US skater that comes along to Kwan? That's the only way you'd come to the conclusion that they're terrible. No other nation has more than one lady that's as good, except for Japan and perhaps Russia.

Finland? ;) (Lepisto and Korpi)

But putting my annoyingly nitpicking doppelganger back in his box, I agree with your overall point. :)

Sasha'sSpins
06-25-2011, 06:11 AM
I don't think we needed your opinion to know that. How can an opinion piece be unbiased?

Take a chill pill. I don't think I care what you think either. I didn't address my initial remarks to you anyway so no need to get your panties into a twist. :P

Anyway, back OT if the top skaters skate to potential at Nationals it will be interesting to see how they place Rachael if she competes. Will they score what they see, or will they 'punish' her by making sure she is placed 3rd or lower?

Sasha'sSpins
06-25-2011, 06:25 AM

I think that's just it-with each year they don't get those 3 spots back it seems some kind of pressure is put on the skaters. They do have the talent it's just that one or the other didn't hit when it counted to get those spots back especially at the last 2 worlds imo.

Amazing that a skater who everyone finds so "flat" and "boring" has inspired a 31-page thread. :shuffle: I hope Rachael never, ever reads here.

Well she was fined and reprimanded which is news at least in the skating world and also because apparently it's unprecedented. And well it's Rachael who does inspire some interesting posts from many.

She should feel flattered to some degree I guess.

skateboy
06-25-2011, 07:35 AM
She should feel flattered to some degree I guess.

Do you mean "Flatt"-ered? ;)

skatefan
06-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Do you mean "Flatt"-ered? ;)
*groan*

:lol:

RD
06-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Another article:

http://www.examiner.com/figure-skating-in-national/flatt-s-reprimand-the-double-standard-of-skating-hurt

This author argues the point that the public fine/reprimand announcement was a bit much (like many were saying here)

Vagabond
06-25-2011, 08:00 PM
http://www.examiner.com/figure-skating-in-national/flatt-s-reprimand-the-double-standard-of-skating-hurt

This author argues the point that the public fine/reprimand announcement was a bit much (like many were saying here)

But that’s exactly the point. In the scenario that Flatt finished eighth instead of 12th and giving the U.S. that third spot, I can’t imagine that U.S. Figure Skating would have disciplined her. She would have been the heroine who fought through the pain to help the U.S. earn that third spot.

Of course we don't know exactly how bad her injury was, but it seems difficult to believe that skating with the injury, she would have managed to find the 12.50 points overall that would have enabled her to earn the 167.11 points to pip Kanako Murakami for eighth place. If she had been healthy, she could have been a legitimate contender for the bronze medal, but she wasn't healthy.

For me, the reprimand and fine, particularly the publicity of it, were unnecessary.

What is the point of a reprimand and a fine if no one else knows about it? Obviously, the USFSA wants to discourage skaters and their connections, especially their coaches, from doing this ever again.

As much as I like Nagasu, there was no guarantee that she would have finished high enough to earn that third spot.

None whatsoever. But point of the rule in question is to protect the skater's health, not to garner the maximum number of spots at the following year's Worlds.

loulou
06-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Another article:

Flatt is a very blessed young girl.

True, she's not blessed with skating appeal.
But she has a nice, wealthy family that's always behind her.
She doesn't have to deal with health issues regarding her or her family members - apart skating injuries that she's willing to skate over.
She's said to be smart.
She's going to some great school most kids around the world would kill for.
On paper, she's up for a very nice career, after having even enjoyed the sport and spot light.

Yes, figure skating isn't the most honest and straightforward environment.
Yes, the girl probably got bad advice, or was pressured.

But when you think how lucky she is in the big picture, then I'm not that willing to hide her lies under the mat: she makes mistakes, she gets consequences.
Private consequences, in her position, would translate in almost no consequences at all.

I'll save my compassion for those many kids less fortunate: it's so much harder to be in their shoes.

---

That's regarding the issue here.

About her future skating career: I hope I'll never see her again in international competitions.
Nothing to do with her merits, scores or life mistakes - just that I'd rather see any other US girl bombing, than Flatt going clean. Any time. So that's what I whish for.

RD
06-25-2011, 10:38 PM
I should stress that I stand behind my earlier point that USFS' decision was right, and I was merely passing this article along.

victoriaheidi
06-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Flatt is a very blessed young girl.

True, she's not blessed with skating appeal.
But she has a nice, wealthy family that's always behind her.
She doesn't have to deal with health issues regarding her or her family members - apart skating injuries that she's willing to skate over.
She's said to be smart.
She's going to some great school most kids around the world would kill for.
On paper, she's up for a very nice career, after having even enjoyed the sport and spot light.

Yes, figure skating isn't the most honest and straightforward environment.
Yes, the girl probably got bad advice, or was pressured.

But when you think how lucky she is in the big picture, then I'm not that willing to hide her lies under the mat: she makes mistakes, she gets consequences.
Private consequences, in her position, would translate in almost no consequences at all.

I'll save my compassion for those many kids less fortunate: it's so much harder to be in their shoes.

I don't know why, but I just had a flashback to sophomore year when I read this. It totally made me think of Lucie and Mme. Defarge in Tale of Two Cities.

But I don't find your point particularly fair. Because Rachael has health and money, we can't feel sorry for her or empathize with her troubles? Wealthy people aren't allowed to have problems? Money buys happiness?

I don't object to her being punished, but, if I understand your post correctly, I don't see why one can't feel for Rachael for this situation and those less fortunate for their situations. The two seem like parallel trains to me.