PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

TheIronLady
06-15-2011, 11:45 PM
I hope the USFSA also takes some responsibility. They should look at the Nationals judging that put Rachael on the team in the first place. Rachael's Nationals FS had some overall deficiencies. Her components marks in Greensboro were out of line with what she was receiving internationally. Had she been scored more in line with the assessments made by ISU panels, she might not have even beated Mirai. For the components scores, USFSA judges need to reflect international standards and cultural preferences in order to select competitive World teams.

museksk8r
06-15-2011, 11:47 PM
I hope the USFSA also takes some responsibility by looking at the judging at Nationals that put Rachael on the team in the first place. Rachael's free program at Nationals had some overall deficiencies. Her components marks at Nationals were out of line with what she had received internationally. USFSA judges should try to reflect international standards and cultural preferences in the components if they want to help select the most competitive World teams.

I agree, but then they would also have to retract Ryan Bradley's scores too.

Mayra
06-15-2011, 11:51 PM
. I'm also in agreement with others that Tom Z. deserves to be reprimanded more strictly than Rachael. I view him as the the person most responsible for this incident happening.

I agree. As her head coach I would think the responsibility of notifying the federation of the injury fell on his shoulders. Here's hoping that Hersh follows up any punishment given to Tom Z.

olifaunt
06-15-2011, 11:53 PM
How embarrassing for her, but there are consequences for not thinking these things through.

I very much doubt Rachael made this decision on her own.

personwhoishere
06-16-2011, 12:09 AM
WOW. Definitely wasn't expecting this.

Tammi
06-16-2011, 12:17 AM
I very much doubt Rachael made this decision on her own.Probably not, but unfortunately, it's her signature on the Team USA agreement. I think coaches sign something as well, so maybe USFS will hand down some judgement against her coach.

IceAlisa
06-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Yes, but it obviously didn't affect his performance ability as he won his first and only world title that year.

Evan had a toe fracture while Rachael had a tibia fracture. Anyone with a basic knowledge of human anatomy will appreciate the difference.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-16-2011, 12:26 AM
I do wonder if all of this would have played out differently if by some miracle Rachael skated well enough to ensure three spots (8th or higher) and still discussed the injury she did not disclose to the USFS after Worlds.

ProgramerUSFS
06-16-2011, 12:29 AM
I have felt from the first time I posted on FSU about this and poked at Phil to do something about it, that the entire situation should be treated by USFS as a breach of contract by both Flatt and Tom. Both of them benefited by USFS moneys provided to promote the US and our skating program. I think Flatt is a wonderful girl that most likely learned a life lesson, and all I can say is Tom as an adult that should have known better.

And it doesn't really matter what the fine is, the point is that USFS took a stand with not participating as a team. I must say, they have turned me around. I think they have sent a message here with regard to the skater, and others are going to think twice before skating hurt on moneys provided by the US. I also believe that a very strong message needs to be sent to Tom, and USFS needs to communicate to all coaches that they will not tolerate this again, and will no longer coverup for someones reputation over the associations principles.

Angelskates
06-16-2011, 12:32 AM
It's sad that reporters are now making a big deal about things and then that's what action is taken. USFS should be making decisions based on the rules and their own investigations, not based on interviews and reports by Phil Hersh, or anyone else..

jlai
06-16-2011, 12:36 AM
It's sad that reporters are now making a big deal about things and then that's what action is taken. USFS should be making decisions based on the rules and their own investigations, not based on interviews and reports by Phil Hersh, or anyone else..

Perhaps that was what USFS did; but Phil wanted to claim credit.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-16-2011, 12:39 AM
On another forum, someone said that now no skater will ever admit to an injury for fear of this reprimand. Do you think this will just teach skaters to never admit to an injury after a competition?

figurefan
06-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Wow! Might be one of the many reasons why so many of Tom's skaters are flying the coup.

I agree that what Flatt did was wrong but Tom Z should have helped her make the right call. If she still thought she could compete then fine but the injury should have been reported.

As far as Frank Carroll goes...he has not been one of my favorite people the last couple of seasons so I will just leave it at that. I for one would not have put major money on Mirai to win the third sport. She could have easily melted down and placed low enough to cost us the spot. She is awesome when she is on but can be a disaster when she's off.

Some action needs to be taken against Tom Z...I am assuming he knew about the injury. If Rachael hid it from him then that would be one thing but I doubt very highly that he did not know.

Copper
06-16-2011, 12:49 AM
Congratulations to the Flatt haters.

Athena
06-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Wow, (((Rachael))), still think her coach should take full responsibility though.