PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

PDilemma
06-23-2011, 07:39 PM
It's just an excuse for the hate, even though everyone has these little backstory one-liners. Mirai's family owns a Japanese restaurant. Ashley is an "Army brat." Alissa graduated with honors from Bowling Green University. Johnny started skating at age 12. Evan is a very hard worker.

The producers need to do a little more homework so they aren't so repetitive. I think the issue is more that they have come up with other angles sometimes for some of the others you cite. Evan has had several memes attached to him--dating Tanith was one for awhile; the hardworker meme was really just the Olympic year (and I think a bit of a PR move). As a junior, Mirai's was best buds with Caroline (not sure they really were, but that was the meme), for a year it was "she grew!" and so on. With Rachael it has always been nothing but grades and school. And stated as if it makes her a better skater. A new angle wouldn't hurt. Surely, she has some other interest.

And the "ooh, ooh, she took AP classes!" crap is not why I dislike Rachael's skating. I dislike it because it bores me. If I want to be bored, I will turn off the television and do my homework. It is, however, why I am sick of NBC and Universal.

Cheylana
06-23-2011, 08:46 PM
The producers need to do a little more homework so they aren't so repetitive. I think the issue is more that they have come up with other angles sometimes for some of the others you cite. Evan has had several memes attached to him--dating Tanith was one for awhile; the hardworker meme was really just the Olympic year (and I think a bit of a PR move). As a junior, Mirai's was best buds with Caroline (not sure they really were, but that was the meme), for a year it was "she grew!" and so on. With Rachael it has always been nothing but grades and school. And stated as if it makes her a better skater. A new angle wouldn't hurt. Surely, she has some other interest.
I think Rachael had other memes--what about "the girl who almost beat YuNa at Skate America"? :D Anyway, wouldn't it be easier to tune it all out? Any replacement for "good grades" is just gonna be some useless factoid that will serve as fodder for the haters. You are correct that Evan has had a few memes--and all of them had the haters foaming at the mouth: "How dare they say Evan had flu at the Olympics when Johnny had mono?!?" "How dare they say Evan is dating Tanith; they're just promoting their heterosexual agenda!" "How dare they say Evan is a hard worker; the other skaters are not lazy!" Haters gon' hate! ;)

judgejudy27
06-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Flatt was actually robbed at 2009 US nationals by dubious judgings. To the lesser extent, the judges prevented Flatt from winning her first title in 2008. I guess some of the USFS officials and judges felt sorry for Flatt and as a result, huge markups for Flatt have occured in 2010.

Please, Flatt never should have beaten Wagner in 2008. If anything it was a joke Wagner didnt win Nationals in 2008.

As for 2009 I still cant decide how those Nationals should have gone. Perhaps Czisny shouldnt have won, but perhaps Zhang should have beaten Flatt. Even if Czisny scored alot lower in the LP she might have won due to her SP lead (which was deserved).

AxelAnnie
06-23-2011, 09:06 PM
I really enjoyed Rachael's skating, enthusiasm and verve when she first appeared at Nats. I have not enjoyed her since her "re-packaging". I would, however like to think that my opinion of her decision to skate injured, and to break her agreement with USFSA, has nothing to do with my like or dislike of her skating.

I think her actions were wrong, and her "team" really failed her by not following the rules. Would I give someone else a pass.............no. Wrong is wrong.

skateboy
06-23-2011, 09:09 PM
The one who I noticed got away with less flack and more forgiveness, for whatever reason, was Nagasu in 2010. I was even amazed that some people chose to point to Flatt's 9th as the reason we lost 3 spots that year, ignoring that if Nagasu hadn't fallen on the - 2A - she would have been THIRD!!! and 3+9=12, 12<13 does it not? :P

You're absolutely right.

I think the main reason so many people cut Mirai slack is that she's adorable and charming. No argument there, but in terms of actual skating, I don't believe she's the salvation of US Ladies' Figure Skating, contrary to what so many posters seem to think.

This next season is just the second year in an Olympic quadrennial. We may well see another Tara Lipinski show up. It's possible that NONE of the ladies we've been talking about this season (Mirai, Rachael, Alissa, Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, etc.) will be a factor in Sochi.

RD
06-23-2011, 10:32 PM
It's possible that NONE of the ladies we've been talking about this season (Mirai, Rachael, Alissa, Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, etc.) will be a factor in Sochi.

Frankly (and no offense to these ladies), I HOPE that's the case.

I want to see some new faces on the scene.

ProgramerUSFS
06-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Wow this thread is very fun and enjoyable. ;)

foreverkwanfan
06-23-2011, 11:25 PM
I think nothing would make the USFSA happier than having a shiny bright new skater on the top. A new Tara or Sasha would pump life back into skating. Someone who came close to Michelle would be a dream come true.

Rachael never thrilled me, her bodyline, the way she seemed to skate heavy on her skates, she never appeared light and flowing. Her skating was a better version of Emily Hughes' clonky skating.

Rachael's consistency with the jumps is what gave the USFSA hope but now who knows. She is not all that great of a skater, if this were 1997-98 or 2000 - 2004 Rachael would be landing 5th or 6th.

leafygreens
06-23-2011, 11:57 PM
I think nothing would make the USFSA happier than having a shiny bright new skater on the top. A new Tara or Sasha would pump life back into skating. Someone who came close to Michelle would be a dream come true.

True, but with this new scoring system, I don't think it's possible.

DarrellH
06-24-2011, 12:16 AM

Unfortunately, with the scoring system the way it currently is, you'll see too many skaters performing like they are checking off moves from a points list.

julieann
06-24-2011, 12:38 AM
True, but with this new scoring system, I don't think it's possible.

Too many people find it easier to blame the scoring system and not the skaters. :shuffle:

Spartacus
06-24-2011, 01:04 AM
If only i didn't have to see his face when reading those articles! Looks like a perv! Ew!

Iceman
06-24-2011, 01:45 AM
Psychics/mind readers all. :rolleyes:

Am I the only one who hopes Rachael gives all of us armchair commentators and USFSA a very large, very public, and very inappropriate giant finger and says, "Screw you all, I'm going to school and never thinking about skating again"? We'll see who gets chosen as the next scapegoat.

No, I want Rachael to come back well and with her jump arsenal in tact. Though the performances at World were subpar there were some beautiful moments.
I think she did a much improved spiral----back glide into leg lift. And the position of her free leg in the layback is first rate and she did get a level 4 for her footwork which doesn't happen often. I think Rachael will want to try to redeem herself.

Even before this event, she has been cruelly crticized. You would think she was the worst skater in the world, but the fact is she is still in the top ten of the world according to isu rankings.

judgejudy27
06-24-2011, 02:01 AM
You're absolutely right.

I think the main reason so many people cut Mirai slack is that she's adorable and charming. No argument there, but in terms of actual skating, I don't believe she's the salvation of US Ladies' Figure Skating, contrary to what so many posters seem to think.

This next season is just the second year in an Olympic quadrennial. We may well see another Tara Lipinski show up. It's possible that NONE of the ladies we've been talking about this season (Mirai, Rachael, Alissa, Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina, etc.) will be a factor in Sochi.

You are right. It is really hard to predict early in quads for ladies especialy. Just look at some past ones:

1981- Everyone was talking about Biellmann, Zayak, Wainmann, and Witt at this point. 2 of those wouldnt even make it to Sarajevo, one would be the 3rd U.S lady by then, and of course one would be champion. However who would have ever guessed Sumners would be the top U.S lady and the gold medal favorite going into the 84 Games. Few had ever heard of her in 81, wasnt she something like #5 in the U.S that year.

1985- 1988 was going to be the Chin coronation. She never even made it to Calgary. Witt was probably going to retire after 86, she ended up repeating as Olympic Champion.

1989- You would have thought Ito would stroll to the 92 Olympic Gold without figures. And Trenary would be a big factor. And the idea of Kerrigan being a medalist at the 92 Games would been laughable.

1995- Who would have picked Tara to win the 98 Games when she couldnt even win Junior Nationals in 95 and came 5th at Juniors Worlds behind another 13 year old (who won bronze) in 96.

2003- Imagine saying Arakawa would be the 2006 Olympic Champ. This would be the funniest joke of all had anyone said that.

Iceman
06-24-2011, 02:17 AM
Did anyone see Rachael's skate at Skate for Hope?