PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

RD
06-23-2011, 05:52 PM
As for Flatt this latest incident pretty much confirms she is now dead to the USFSA. I doubt there will be any need to talk about her anymore in the coming season. She is done.

I STILL don't get why so many are saying this. She broke a rule; the USFS decided to fine/reprimand her. Seriously, if they really wanted her out, they would have suspended or banned her. Articles said repeatedly that this decision DOES NOT AFFECT her eligibility, so she is free to continue if she wishes.

She was going to go to college anyway, and I think that more than anything will determine whether she continues to keep skating at this level or not.

taf2002
06-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Flatt's fate: mistreated by many
http://www.csindy.com/colorado/flatts-fate-mistreated-by-many/Content?oid=2281108

"If U.S. Figure Skating wants new requirements for skaters reporting injuries, especially for major international events, fine. But it should be a process with input from all involved, including athletes. Not this way, making a negative example out of a skater with a reputation as solid as Flatt has. Yes, there is an agreement that athletes sign about reporting injuries. But most skaters deal with some sort of pain all the time, and it wasn't as though Flatt was incapacitated. She still was able to compete and do her programs."

The requirement is not new. And "some sort of pain" is not usually a stress fracture of the leg. And I would argue that she WAS incapacitated to the point she was NOT able to do her programs as they had been laid out.

I am not one of those who wants to crucify Flatt but this article has a definite pro-Rachael slant that is inaccurate as those blasting her.

attyfan
06-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Flatt's fate: mistreated by many
http://www.csindy.com/colorado/flatts-fate-mistreated-by-many/Content?oid=2281108

Interesting article, but (IMO) it ignores a critical point: Rachael should have notified the USFS and withdrawn for her own sake, regardless of how well (or how badly) Mirai would have done. Trying to land jumps with a stress fracture would not have done the injury any good ... and (I would think) could even have made the problem worse.

Yazmeen
06-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Bobek easily won Nationals in 1995 so I dont know why you think she wouldnt have gone to 95 Worlds if there was only one spot. If the USFSA favored Kwan heavily she would have gotten more than 1 1st place vote when she attempted and landed more triples than Bobek at those Nationals.

As for Flatt this latest incident pretty much confirms she is now dead to the USFSA. I doubt there will be any need to talk about her anymore in the coming season. She is done.

Yes, she did win Nationals handily in 1995; however, Bobek was always FAR less consistent than Kwan in her performances, training habits, and even with coaching, so she was still lucky that there were two spots, as was Michelle. And it was Michelle who got those two spots in 1994 after Nicole, who happily said she was so "ready" to take Nancy's spot at Worlds bombed in the qualifying round. I've always been a Bobek fan, she was absolutely beautiful on the ice when she was "on," but her inconsistency always loomed, even in good seasons. And her work ethic was not a sterling example, either.

As for Rachel, never sell her short, she has the potential to surprise us all (and the drive).

RD
06-23-2011, 06:00 PM
I am not one of those who wants to crucify Flatt but this article has a definite pro-Rachael slant that is inaccurate as those blasting her.

Well, I notice the article IS a local one - Colorado Springs - so a little homerism is to be expected, really.

jeffisjeff
06-23-2011, 06:05 PM
It isn't an article. It is a column, and hence an opinion piece, not a news story.

NMURA
06-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Flatt was actually robbed at 2009 US nationals by dubious judgings. To the lesser extent, the judges prevented Flatt from winning her first title in 2008. I guess some of the USFS officials and judges felt sorry for Flatt and as a result, huge markups for Flatt have occured in 2010.

Czisny ended miserably 2009-2010 season because the USFS punished her for the failure at 2009 worlds. The same goes for Nagasu an year later. She placed higher than Flatt in Torino but she must take the bigger responsibily. If Nagasu didn't fall on the last 2A in the FS, the US ladies could recover 3 spots easily. Flatt could do less to save the spot and pushed the blames to Nagasu.

If the above cases are relevant, we can imagine how Flatt's going to be treated in next season. I think she's proud and smart enough to avoid further humiliations.

RD
06-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Czisny ended miserably 2009-2010 season because the USFS punished her for the failure at 2009 worlds.

But HOW??? She bombed that Nationals completely. She hadn't a chance even if they wanted to prop her up...

I just don't quite buy all this conspiracy stuff TBH...

snoopysnake
06-23-2011, 06:41 PM
ITA.

Add to that the constant mentioning of Stanford, AP classes and 4.0 GPA, and you've got a problem. It's not her fault; the commentators can't comment much on her skating so they default to praising her academics. It was the same way with Emily Hughes. They couldn't mention her name without name dropping Harvard five times...it didn't matter that she'd just butt-planted on the ice for the third time...she goes to HARVARD!! That kinda stuff gets very annoying very fast...

Why is it so annoying to hear that Emily goes to Harvard or Rachael took AP Classes and is going to Stanford? Are they supposed to dumb themselves down to please you? Would you like a skater better if she got all C's and D's or dropped out of high school?

PDilemma
06-23-2011, 06:51 PM
"If U.S. Figure Skating wants new requirements for skaters reporting injuries, especially for major international events, fine. But it should be a process with input from all involved, including athletes. Not this way, making a negative example out of a skater with a reputation as solid as Flatt has. Yes, there is an agreement that athletes sign about reporting injuries. But most skaters deal with some sort of pain all the time, and it wasn't as though Flatt was incapacitated. She still was able to compete and do her programs."

The requirement is not new. And "some sort of pain" is not usually a stress fracture of the leg. And I would argue that she WAS incapacitated to the point she was NOT able to do her programs as they had been laid out.

That reporter totally neglected doing the homework on the story by implying that no rule was in place. Journalism is in a sorry state...

leafygreens
06-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Flatt was actually robbed at 2009 US nationals by dubious judgings. To the lesser extent, the judges prevented Flatt from winning her first title in 2008. I guess some of the USFS officials and judges felt sorry for Flatt and as a result, huge markups for Flatt have occured in 2010.

In 08/09, other more Sasha-like skaters (Mirai, Alissa) were given opportunities but did not produce a Kwan-like dynasty, so USFS rotated to RF (the next best thing). That didn't work out either. It makes sense that they wouldn't gift her in 08 because Mirai was young and talented (possibly viewed as the next Kwan or Lipinski), and Kimmie was thought to have had a flukey off-year. When plan A didn't work out they decided to pin hopes on "the girl who never falls on jumps" even though she had Zero artistry. But when a growth spurt happens and you don't have jumps, and never had artistry, what the heck do people think is going to happen? Now she has pissed off the wrong people. Flatt is toast.

RockTheTassel
06-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Why is it so annoying to hear that Emily goes to Harvard or Rachael took AP Classes and is going to Stanford? Are they supposed to dumb themselves down to please you? Would you like a skater better if she got all C's and D's or dropped out of high school?

I have seen a couple of posters that get overly annoyed about this, but I think most of us applaud skaters for being well-educated. It's just annoying to hear about nothing but grades and Ivy League schools every single time they take the ice. Before Rachael skated her Olympic LP, the commentators kept going on about how she was doing her homework all afternoon. The girl is at the Olympics and the only thing to mention about her is school? It's over the top.

Most people here genuinely wish Rachael well at Stanford and feel she'll have a bright future.

Cheylana
06-23-2011, 07:31 PM
It's just an excuse for the hate, even though everyone has these little backstory one-liners. Mirai's family owns a Japanese restaurant. Ashley is an "Army brat." Alissa graduated with honors from Bowling Green University. Johnny started skating at age 12. Evan is a very hard worker.

RD
06-23-2011, 07:32 PM
When plan A didn't work out they decided to pin hopes on "the girl who never falls on jumps" even though she had Zero artistry. But when a growth spurt happens and you don't have jumps...

Isn't Flatt 18 though? Where is the proof that she grew this year?

leafygreens
06-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Isn't Flatt 18 though? Where is the proof that she grew this year?

Look at her.