PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

RFOS
06-22-2011, 06:27 PM
But what did they give Mirai's jumps? Did she receive credit for full rotations?

At Nationals, yes, with one exception on the 2nd 3lutz. (Rachael also received one underrotation call on the 3toe in her 2A+3T). http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2011/68096/SEGM002.html

leafygreens
06-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Mirai isn't leaving anyone in the dust imo, except an upset Frank who has put such an onus on her for the coming season by what he said to Phil.

:duh: Oh no... has Frank jinxed Mirai?

If you consider Flatt's (former?) reputation as "the rock", it's an EXTREMELY off performance by her standards.

Agreed. It was also very awkward this season to hear the commentary about how flukey her bad performances were because she's "reliable Rachael", despite the fact that these flukey performances happened over and over. Let's be realistic here. Especially when you "grow" as much as she did this year, I don't know why it's a surprise to anyone. They might as well have been saying, "Oh my gosh, even with the growth spurt why can't she do 3/3's anymore, she's reliable Rachael!" and then go on to talk about how she's working on the 3A. RF is a human being and is not infallible to growth, weight gain and injuries. She might have been able to ride the wave if she had grace and flexibility, but she doesn't. It's just the cards RF was dealt. RF herself couldn't even see the writing on the wall, and thought her "reliable" reputation would some how perform a miracle at World's this year. This is what happens when you are a perfectionist like RF who is an only child, had some early skating success and overblown accolades. It clouds your view of reality.

The Fly On The Wall
06-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Psychics/mind readers all. :rolleyes:

Am I the only one who hopes Rachael gives all of us armchair commentators and USFSA a very large, very public, and very inappropriate giant finger and says, "Screw you all, I'm going to school and never thinking about skating again"? We'll see who gets chosen as the next scapegoat.

Cheylana
06-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Psychics/mind readers all. :rolleyes:

Am I the only one who hopes Rachael gives all of us armchair commentators and USFSA a very large, very public, and very inappropriate giant finger and says, "Screw you all, I'm going to school and never thinking about skating again"? We'll see who gets chosen as the next scapegoat.
Part of me would love for Rachael to come back and win another National title, just to witness all the blood spitting and weeping and gnashing of teeth! :2faced: :EVILLE: :2faced:

OliviaPug
06-22-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't think this is such a big deal, despite the now 514 (and my 515) posts. She broke a rule and she was reprimanded.

If Rachael wants to continue, she should and see where it all leads.

If Rachael doesn't, she has a wonderful second option in school, where she has always exceled.

As far as the whole Mirai vs/ Rachael thing goes, that happens anytime there are two skaters competing for the same spot. They are surely different skaters, so there's a lot there to compare and contrast. Didn't particularly care for Frank's comment, seemed uncharacteristic for him, but whatever.

O-

lilshorty
06-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Part of me would love for Rachael to come back and win another National title, just to witness all the blood spitting and weeping and gnashing of teeth! :2faced: :EVILLE: :2faced:

Love this. :respec:

LilJen
06-23-2011, 01:24 AM

In black. With Goth makeup. Styled by Angela Maxwell. :lol:

Angela-Fan
06-23-2011, 01:25 AM

hehehe. I would like to see her win again. But I want Alissa to win too. I'm torn

Sasha'sSpins
06-23-2011, 01:53 AM
The transitions mark makes me go HUH?

Yeah-me too. :confused: I knew they were out there but I didn't realize how much so until I saw that head to head. Obsurd imo.:rolleyes:

TheIronLady
06-23-2011, 04:42 AM
I love this even more. Our sport needs this kinda of thing.

Marco
06-23-2011, 05:15 AM

Maybe she could deserve the title next time.

AxelAnnie
06-23-2011, 05:32 AM
I understand wanting to compete, but the point is she was in breach of her contract. Rachael's lucky she got off with a fine and a simple slap on the wrist b/c if the USFSA wanted to suspend her, they could have.

She and Tom Z gambled and they came up short. The issue with skating injured is aways determined by how well you're able to perform. Rachael was absolutely terrible. Had she skated well enough to earn that third spot, IDK, there probably wouldn't be as much outrage over her decision not to disclose the injury.

I honestly think the reason behind concealing the injury has to do with what action the USFSA would have taken. If they reported that injury to the USFSA, chances are they would have pulled her from that spot and sent a healthy and ready Mirai in Rachael's place. It wouldn't be worth the gamble for the team's spot, not to mention Rachael's health and future in the sport, to let her compete the way she did--so more than likely Mirai would have been called. What other reason would there be to conceal the injury?

However, I do agree that Tom Z's fine and punishment should be much worse. A coach is supposed to protect the skater and put their health and well-being over any competition or result. Tom has basically thrown Rachael under the bus and if the USFSA doesn't hammer him for this, I'll be really pissed. I'm glad all of his skaters are leaving him...

I agree totally. They knew. That stress fracture did not just pop up at Worlds in a practice. She wanted to compete (that's what athletes do) and Tom Z., wanted her to. I think he is a crook! He has been paid a gazillion dollars to nurture, promote and teach Rachael. What did he teach her? Lie, cheat, steal. And that is what he/they did. I am really surprised at Rachael and her parents. I thought (in spite of my opinion of her skating) that she was a stand up person.....who could be counted on to act with integrity and honor.

I have to say, in spite of the fact that I was annoyed and disgruntled that Michelle was "passed" to go the Olympics, she and her team handled the entire matter with dignity, grace and honor. They alerted Emily and her team of the possibility that Michelle might not be able to handle the rigors or practice and skating, and then they withdrew within a time frame that allowed Emily (prepared and ready) to have her shot.

And, that is how it should be. Rachael, her parents, and certainly her coach, know that she skates for the USFSA and for her country..........every dollar she has been given should be a reminder of that.

Unfortunately for Rachael, I suspect this will be the end of her career....and I am sure this will not be the note she wanted to go out on.

I hope the lower the boom on her coach.

ProgramerUSFS
06-23-2011, 05:44 AM
I agree totally. They knew. That stress fracture did not just pop up at Worlds in a practice. She wanted to compete (that's what athletes do) and Tom Z., wanted her to. I think he is a crook! He has been paid a gazillion dollars to nurture, promote and teach Rachael. What did he teach her? Lie, cheat, steal. And that is what he/they did. I am really surprised at Rachael and her parents. I thought (in spite of my opinion of her skating) that she was a stand up person.....who could be counted on to act with integrity and honor.

I have to say, in spite of the fact that I was annoyed and disgruntled that Michelle was "passed" to go the Olympics, she and her team handled the entire matter with dignity, grace and honor. They alerted Emily and her team of the possibility that Michelle might not be able to handle the rigors or practice and skating, and then they withdrew within a time frame that allowed Emily (prepared and ready) to have her shot.

And, that is how it should be. Rachael, her parents, and certainly her coach, know that she skates for the USFSA and for her country..........every dollar she has been given should be a reminder of that.

Unfortunately for Rachael, I suspect this will be the end of her career....and I am sure this will not be the note she wanted to go out on.

I hope the lower the boom on her coach.

Both of you hit the nail on the head. I too will be really pissed off if they don't do 10 times to Tom. Its not right, and they know it. Nice job on defining the situation.

MacMadame
06-23-2011, 06:44 AM
And for her to be the Rachael who won US Novice with personality and style and all that stuff people are always saying she hasn't got and never will get...

olympic
06-23-2011, 10:37 AM
I prefer all of Alissa, Mirai and Ashley to Rachael. But, I respect Rachael for the most part [the jury is still out for me on exactly what happened here. I just have a hunch that Tom Z. was breathing down her neck for his glory] and I hope she continues to compete. US ladies can only benefit from her continuing, because her normal consistency [in most cases] forces the others and my faves to try harder and give their best on the ice

Even if she's not my fave, I'm getting a little uncomfortable w/ the hate that she is getting here. It's been going on for a while now. Why the frustration? Not getting 3 spots. Mirai and Alissa are just as guilty in years past [and they are my faves]