PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

jlai
06-22-2011, 01:26 AM
Knowing the injury before her free skate, I was holding my breath and praying to Skategod (what I normally reserved for Alissa!) and hoping she'd switch the jump layout. Had she switched out her one flip attempt for say, a successful sal, she would have earned enough points for 10th, which would have been considered a respectable placement.
:( Sigh...

skateboy
06-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Maybe Rachael actually felt she wasn't injured that badly and that she could pull off a good skate. Yes, she had a stress fracture. While that sounds painful to me, it wasn't like she limping around or couldn't walk. And she managed to land some triples on that injured leg.

While she admitted it was painful, perhaps it wasn't THAT bad.

Iceman
06-22-2011, 01:33 AM
and MIchelle's performance in the long at SLC was extremely off her standards. It happens to them all. So I am going to allow Rachael hers.

kwanette
06-22-2011, 01:40 AM
and MIchelle's performance in the long at SLC was extremely off her standards. It happens to them all. So I am going to allow Rachael hers.

Good. I am sure that that will afford Rachael great comfort.

And thanks for bringing up the non sequitur of Michelle's performance in SLC.

Sasha'sSpins
06-22-2011, 01:50 AM
Well OK, suppose that Zawadzki had been the first alternate, right there in Zakrajsek's back pocket. Do you think that would have made it more likely for Flatt to withdraw?

I.e., do you keeping a rival "team" out of Worlds played a significant part in the decision? Or just Rachael's own desire to compete the best she could, which she expected to be better than she finally managed?

Yup. We don't have sufficient information to assign blame. Especially if the necessary information consists of what people were thinking "deep down" -- perhaps below their conscious awareness.

WE don't have sufficient information to assign blame but apparently the USFSA felt they did-that's good enough for me.

My own personal feeling is that Rachael and Tom wanted her to compete come he!! or highwater, and who they possibly might keep from competing in Rachael's stead by concealing Flatt's injury didn't factor in. I don't care if it was Mirai, Agnes or Christina. I still think TeamFlatt wasn't willing to step aside for ANYONE just so Rachael could compete. That Mirai was 1st alternate was happenstance.

That aside, I think Tom Z showed tremendous disrespect and total lack of professional courtesy to Frank Carrol, and the other skater's coaches by not giving them a heads up (as Frank had done so with Tom when Evan couldn't perform) and I hope the hammer comes down on his head but good. It may be wishful thinking but I can still hope. :mad:

PDilemma
06-22-2011, 01:59 AM
If Rachael could somehow perform her freeskate in it...

:rofl::rofl:

pinky166
06-22-2011, 03:01 AM
That's a strong statement. I don't think Nagasu at her best can match Kim- she certainly couldn't at the Olys...

Yes but some of that is due to reputation, and also, she did beat Miki at the Olympics who in turn beat Yuna at and won Worlds this season, so idk. Also, Yuna has never come anywhere close to her FS score at the Olympics ever again, so that also makes me wonder.I think Mirai at her best is at least comparable with the likes of Miki, Mao, Carolina, and maybe Yuna too. Rachael at her best isn't and never was.

Angela-Fan
06-22-2011, 03:44 AM
A consistent and in-shape Mirai is basically equivalent to Yuna Kim, so I don't think Rachael should feel too bad about that.

:eek::slinkaway

pinky166
06-22-2011, 05:03 AM
:eek::slinkaway

We're all entitled to our own opinions :).

Angela-Fan
06-22-2011, 05:09 AM
Of course you are, I was just surprised. :)

The Fly On The Wall
06-22-2011, 06:01 AM
Yeah it would be one thing if Rachael was the only US skater we had who was capable of doing well, and she competed. That's one thing. But when your country has people who can capably replace you, and who healthy will do better than you will do injured, don't claim your doing this "for country."

Um, Rachael hasn't said squat about the whole situation. It's us commenters who are trying to put words in her mouth.:rolleyes:

victoriaheidi
06-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Yes but some of that is due to reputation, and also, she did beat Miki at the Olympics who in turn beat Yuna at and won Worlds this season, so idk. Also, Yuna has never come anywhere close to her FS score at the Olympics ever again, so that also makes me wonder.I think Mirai at her best is at least comparable with the likes of Miki, Mao, Carolina, and maybe Yuna too. Rachael at her best isn't and never was.

I've always thought that the score didn't need to be that high, because I don't think anyone's going to beat that for a long time. Instead, non-fans (specific non-fans, in this case) assume that she happened to do really well that one night and will never hit that lucky Olympic peak again. They basically think that Yuna is the new Sarah Hughes.

But that's just my thought. Yuna is a great skater, and I think it's incredibly unfair to her to compare every other score she ever gets to the one she got that night.

VIETgrlTerifa
06-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Non-fans won't even remember her Olympic score or how it compares to her other skates, so don't worry.

To be honest though, the Olympics FS was one of the few times (only time to be honest) that I can think of where Yuna was practically perfect in the LP.

DickButtonFan
06-22-2011, 08:21 AM

Just because Miki beat Yuna doesn't mean Miki is a comparable skater to Yuna. Miki caught up to her at one of her worst competitions. She hadn't competed all year long and I don't think she was even hungry to win since she already had everything she wanted. Yuna only lost to Miki by a point when she made major errors. Take into consideration that Rachael also has beaten Yuna in the lp before and it was only because of Yuna's errors, and we all know Rachael is not comparable to Yuna Kim. But I agree with you, Rachael isn't comparable to any other of the skaters you mentioned above.

Yuna was flawless at the olympics, I think she deserved that score. She hasn't skated cleanly since which is why her score hasn't come asclose to that since. After the olympics she was exhausted so she made mistakes at worlds 2010 and then this years worlds she hadn't competed all year.

Who knows if yuna will compete again but if she does I would guess if Mirai, Rachael, and Yuna were all at their top form it would be Yuna at the top every time and Mirai over Rachael every time. Yuna's jumps and speed are still unmatched. When is the last time we have seen Mirai do a 3lutz-3toe with the distance and height of Yuna? Mirai is an amazing skater with some of the best spins out there but she is no Yuna...yet. :D

Japanfan
06-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Rachael knows deep down inside that a consistent and in shape Mirai will leave her in the dust and forgotten by most skating fans. And with the new kids hot on her heels she knows these Worlds might be her last.

And your point is?

Mirai did not leave Rachel in the dust and forgotten at Nationals. Rachel earned a spot on the Wolrd team and Mirai did not.

Plus, Rachel is moving on to university/college. She has other things to do than skate after another figure skater. And if Mirai wants to compete with the big girls she has far more formidable opponents than Racher.