PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Sasha'sSpins
06-21-2011, 10:20 AM
I suspect more likely she competed injured since she was more scared of Nagasu doing really well after how she skated at Four Continents and garnering more of the buzz going into next season, pushing Flatt a bit more into the background. That is human emotion and is understandable to a degree, but it is far more likely than some noble act of competing to help her country.

I don't doubt that isn't far from the truth. Team Flatt naturally wanted to compete, who wouldn't it's worlds after all, and likely their last as athlete and coach=but deep down perhaps they weren't too keen on allowing Team Nagasu to step in for them. Of course it's just speculation and likely we'll never know for sure.

By next year none of this will matter.

TheIronLady
06-21-2011, 01:02 PM
You look very pretty today, Mathman. :saint:

OMG I wish Mathman was Robin Wagner.

gkelly
06-21-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't doubt that isn't far from the truth. Team Flatt naturally wanted to compete, who wouldn't it's worlds after all, and likely their last as athlete and coach=but deep down perhaps they weren't too keen on allowing Team Nagasu to step in for them.

Well OK, suppose that Zawadzki had been the first alternate, right there in Zakrajsek's back pocket. Do you think that would have made it more likely for Flatt to withdraw?

I.e., do you keeping a rival "team" out of Worlds played a significant part in the decision? Or just Rachael's own desire to compete the best she could, which she expected to be better than she finally managed?

Of course it's just speculation and likely we'll never know for sure.

Yup. We don't have sufficient information to assign blame. Especially if the necessary information consists of what people were thinking "deep down" -- perhaps below their conscious awareness.

her grace
06-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Well OK, suppose that Zawadzki had been the first alternate, right there in Zakrajsek's back pocket. Do you think that would have made it more likely for Flatt to withdraw?

Probably not because Mroz was the next alternate last year when Bradley chose to compete injured.

milanessa
06-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Can this thread get any more boring?

TheIronLady
06-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Can this thread get any more boring?

If Rachael could somehow perform her freeskate in it...

victoriaheidi
06-21-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't doubt that isn't far from the truth. Team Flatt naturally wanted to compete, who wouldn't it's worlds after all, and likely their last as athlete and coach=but deep down perhaps they weren't too keen on allowing Team Nagasu to step in for them. Of course it's just speculation and likely we'll never know for sure.

By next year none of this will matter.

I never really thought that Rachael and Mirai were "friendly competitors," if you know what I mean (look at their results: they went 1-2 at the JGPF in '07, 1-2 at Nats '08, 1-3 at JW '08, 4-5 at CoC '09, 1-2 at Nats '10, 4-7 at the Olys, etc.). I think that, had the alternate been Agnes, Tom would have insisted that Rachael step down. But that's also just speculation.

IceAlisa
06-21-2011, 04:22 PM

:rofl:

FunnyBut
06-21-2011, 04:46 PM
With her goody two-shoes reputation clearly behind her, perhaps Rachael could choose something truely excitingly eville for next year's programs? May I suggest dueling Black Swans against Ashley Wagner? :lol: Apparently Ashley is also eville , having had tantrums against both doting Mom and Motherly Priscilla (see Wagner thread). It would be the new 'Battle of the Carmens' ,lean-years US Ladies style! (see lean-years thread).

I love off-season US Ladies threads :lol:

Rex
06-21-2011, 04:53 PM
I think Rachael has taken more hits and digs in her relatively short eligible career than Michael Weiss has.

RD
06-21-2011, 05:11 PM
nevermind.

Sylvia
06-21-2011, 05:13 PM
also deleted

RD
06-21-2011, 05:19 PM

:lol: COLD!

Anyway, I'm sure this has blown over with the Flatts. The only thing that can happen now is that a case will be brought against Coach Tom (wouldn't be surprised)

Of course, if Flatt does decide to compete next season (or any time in the future) she may very well be asked about it in an article or a TV interview. I'd be curious to see how she answers it, even if it's your typical PR/PC fluff.

sk9tingfan
06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
I suspect more likely she competed injured since she was more scared of Nagasu doing really well after how she skated at Four Continents and garnering more of the buzz going into next season, pushing Flatt a bit more into the background. That is human emotion and is understandable to a degree, but it is far more likely than some noble act of competing to help her country.

Touche!:D

Jammers
06-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Rachael knows deep down inside that a consistent and in shape Mirai will leave her in the dust and forgotten by most skating fans. And with the new kids hot on her heels she knows these Worlds might be her last.