PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

overedge
06-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Well, if Tom did what he should have, do you think Racheal would have been fined. Lets see, Tom told USFS and briefed them completely, but because Racheal didn't call them directly she got fined. What planet are you living on?

You know, you could raise the same issues quite well *without* the nasty insult at the end of the post.

ProgramerUSFS
06-21-2011, 01:27 AM
You know, you could raise the same issues quite well *without* the nasty insult at the end of the post.

You are right, I was nasty, long day at work, but Kwantte didn't deserve that. I am sorry Kwantte..... I love Kwan too, she is my fav.

Sparks
06-21-2011, 01:50 AM
ITA. Some people are carrying on as if Rachel sold state secrets to the Russians back in the Cold War days. :rolleyes:

Don't be ridiculous. Rachel is a member of Al Qaeda.

Maximillian
06-21-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm an enormous Nagasu fan, but I think that all of this is a bit much and that includes the public reprimand. A simple, behind closed doors slap on the wrist would've been sufficient, the public doesn't need to know the situation, only the parties that be. I guess USFS really wanted Hersh off their back. I guess Hersh really wanted a story. Seriously this thread and all the controversies have made Rachael far more intriguing to me than she ever was before.

leafygreens
06-21-2011, 02:08 AM
I so agree with this...the coach is the spokesperson at this level.

I think that they should both be punished - coach and athlete - but it seems very weird that RF is taking all the flack. WHERE IS TOM???

Well, Carolina Kostner couldn't do 3F or 3Lz during the GP season, and nobody suggested she shouldn't keep competing. It's true that Flatt wouldn't have gotten Kostner-level PCS, but the point is, lots of skaters skate through injuries and compete without a full arsenal of jumps.

The problem with this is that when RF doesn't have a full arsenal of jumps, she doesn't have anything left. Whereas Costner does.

Michelle Kwan was so meticulously nice and perfect. She made sure to do the right thing in 2006, making herself again into a sort of hero for letting Emily Hughes compete in Torino.

Not exactly - I remember some journalist reaming out Kwan because she didn't drop out sooner and give Emily the chance to march in her only opening ceremonies. I disagree with the journalist because Emily was the alternate and you get bumped sometimes if you are the alternate. Do we really think that Kwan would have been left off the team if she had been able to compete at USN? No way. Anyways, it wasn't all roses for Kwan when she dropped out in '06.

And my last thought on this matter is that no, it will not affect RF's school or job prospects at all. She did need to be reprimanded, but this is only important to those of us in the FS world. She has already been accepted to Stanford. They can't decide not to admit her because she's already been admitted. They can't kick her out because it's not a school matter. The worst that will happen to her is that she will have to answer humiliating questions about it at press conferences when she competes in the future.

Mathman
06-21-2011, 02:57 AM
The worst that will happen to her is that she will have to answer humiliating questions about it at press conferences when she competes in the future.

Such questions will not humiliate Flatt.

Interviewer: Why did you unrealistically think you could overcome serious injury and compete anyway? Why didn't you involve the skating federation in your decision?

Rachael: Because I am an athlete. Because I am a champion. :)

IceAlisa
06-21-2011, 03:06 AM

Interviewer: Why did you unrealistically think you could overcome serious injury and compete anyway? Why didn't you involve the skating federation in your decision?

I am sure Rachael is too smart and classy to spout nonsense like that.

Mathman
06-21-2011, 03:10 AM
^ “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; …who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” ;)

IceAlisa
06-21-2011, 03:17 AM
You look very pretty today, Mathman. :saint:

bek
06-21-2011, 05:53 AM

So Michelle Kwan isn't an athlete, isn't a champion. Evan Lyseck who withdrew, isn't an athelete isn't a champion.

And your whole, Rachael saying she wanted to do it for country. PLEASE, Rachael wants to be all I earned my spot fine. But she knew full well she was extremely injured, and knew full well that in all likely Nagasu would be a better bet "for her country earning 3 spots, than Rachael was." Rachael wasn't doing it for her country.

judgejudy27
06-21-2011, 05:58 AM
Exactly. There are angles to support Rachaels decision from, but the doing it for her country is not one of them. Only a very dumb person in her position could honestly have thought that all things considered, and Rachael is a very smart girl.

bek
06-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Exactly. There are angles to support Rachaels decision from, but the doing it for her country is not one of them. Only a very dumb person in her position could honestly have thought that all things considered, and Rachael is a very smart girl.

Yeah it would be one thing if Rachael was the only US skater we had who was capable of doing well, and she competed. That's one thing. But when your country has people who can capably replace you, and who healthy will do better than you will do injured, don't claim your doing this "for country."

judgejudy27
06-21-2011, 06:13 AM
I suspect more likely she competed injured since she was more scared of Nagasu doing really well after how she skated at Four Continents and garnering more of the buzz going into next season, pushing Flatt a bit more into the background. That is human emotion and is understandable to a degree, but it is far more likely than some noble act of competing to help her country.

Marco
06-21-2011, 08:30 AM
There was nothing honourable or heoric about what she did.

If she wanted to honour her country, the least she could do was to inform her Federation about the injury. It was not up to her and Tom to decide whether she should go ahead.

And it isn't just about sending the best team for US, it's also about protecting the well being of an athlete and not further aggravating an already very serious and painful injury. Athletes are managed by their parents and coaches, but they are also 'investments' of USFS.

Would all those defending Flatt have maintained their view (that it is heoric to tough it out) if Flatt was just 14? I agree that Tom should shoulder most of the blame. As the coach, he should have informed USFS if she didn't. And worse if it was him who insisted that she should go ahead (like with Josh Farris).

And for all those who lament that why penalize her and not him, I am pretty sure an even bigger case against Tom is udnerway. Stay tuned.

Sasha'sSpins
06-21-2011, 10:14 AM

How could you be so sure she won't feel humiliated or embarassed by such questions? Are you somehow privy to Rachael's innermost feelings? :confused:

Flatt imo probably doesn't feel too great about the way this was handled in a public forum. I don't thinks she's feeling too great knowing those questions about the fine and reprimand will come if she competes again. But this soon will pass and by next year likely forgotten by most in the FS world. Jmo.