PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

sk8ers
06-15-2011, 11:07 PM
I tend to agree with RD.
Tom Z has a great ethical responsibility in this and he failed miserably. And we haven't touched on JF skate at Nationals which was another poor decision. I have to imagine now that the cat is out of the bag re: a reprimand/fine for Rachael that we will certainly hear something regarding Tom Z's "punishment"--aside from losing multiple skaters for the coming season!!!!

Visaliakid
06-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Ok, what does "reprimand" here mean exactly?
She will be banned from competing for the next season?

The answer is NO! The article went on to report...USFS would have no further comment on the action. It will not affect her eligibility. The federation is addressing separately what if any action to take against Tom Zakrajsek, who was her coach at worlds.

CantALoop
06-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Not surprised USFS finally addressed this, but I'm a bit shocked they threw Rachael under the bus before Tom Z (assuming that happens at all), especially after how the USFS has looked kindly toward Rachael in the past.

Lacey
06-15-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm kind of stunned, but agree with the decision and hope Tom Z. is called on the carpet too, in fact, even more than Rachael.

RD
06-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Ok, what does "reprimand" here mean exactly?
She will be banned from competing for the next season?

Basically a warning letter. Still, I wonder how much the fine was, and why they chose not to disclose it (is it an unusually small or large amount?)

stjeaskategym
06-15-2011, 11:17 PM
I think the root of Frank's ire is that he believes that injured athletes should not be competing. I agree with him.

At this level, a lot of athletes are competing with injuries, some more serious than others. If Rachael was still doing all of her jumps up until she arrived at Worlds (and in the SP, it seemed she was still expecting to do her regularly planned jumps aside from the 3-3), then I don't see much of problem with her trying to gut it out. That's what athletes do, and it would be crazy, in my opinion, to fine her for that.

Now, if Rachael was aware that she was required to notify USFS that she had an injury/received a diagnosis, but didn't bother doing that, then that's a completely different story. It wasn't right to leave the alternate completely in the dark about this injury situation.

Jenna
06-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Basically a warning letter. Still, I wonder how much the fine was, and why they chose not to disclose it (is it an unusually small or large amount?)

Well, I hope it doesn't break the bank but I want it to be meaningful. Something like $50 is just a waste of time.

Mayra
06-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Well, I hope it doesn't break the bank but I want it to be meaningful. Something like $50 is just a waste of time.

I think the reprimand and fine is more symbolic than anything else and does more harm in the long run. I mean when was the last time the USFS reprimanded and fined a skater?

museksk8r
06-15-2011, 11:23 PM
:wideeyes: WOW, just when you thought this off-season couldn't get more bizarre or be filled with more drama. :yikes::drama: Like everyone else, I am wondering where is Tom's long overdue fine for coaching negligence?

Sylvia
06-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Now, if Rachael was aware that she was required to notify USFS that she had an injury/received a diagnosis, but didn't bother doing that, then that's a completely different story. It wasn't right to leave the alternate completely in the dark about this injury situation.
Yes, I personally believe this is what prompted the action (reprimand and fine) by USFS.

This is what I posted in the earlier Flatt injury thread on May 3:

All the U.S. coaches and skaters are fully aware of the importance and necessity of notifying specific people at USFS if/when they are injured (there is a clear process in place), especially before an international competition. Of course it becomes a judgement call when a skater really wants to compete through/despite an injury (I would assume that most skaters would elect to do this if they could -- many have an extremely high tolerance for pain) and the coach feels they can still compete effectively enough (as Zakrajsek told Hersh). USFS cannot step in unless they are notified and, in this case, it appears they were unaware of Flatt's injury until she was actually at Worlds (too late for Nagasu to be summoned).

peibeck
06-15-2011, 11:26 PM
I feel badly for both Rachel and Mirai in this situation. :(

YukiNieve
06-15-2011, 11:27 PM

Thanks, Visaliakid and RD!

Well, I think it'd be too harsh if it costs her eligibility.
So this is more like a statement that USFSA wants to make it clear
for this case and for the future.

dawnie
06-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Not surprised USFS finally addressed this, but I'm a bit shocked they threw Rachael under the bus before Tom Z (assuming that happens at all), especially after how the USFS has looked kindly toward Rachael in the past.

Well, considering she hasn't brought in the results USFS were expecting, I can't say I'm surprised.

RD
06-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I cannot feel bad for Rachel for a decision that SHE made, or had a part in making (even if her coach signed off on it). The ONLY exception is if she was coerced into competing by her coach and/or her parents, and so far, that does not appear to be the case.

Team Flatt fully deserves what's hopefully coming to them.

FSfan107
06-15-2011, 11:41 PM
At this level, a lot of athletes are competing with injuries, some more serious than others. If Rachael was still doing all of her jumps up until she arrived at Worlds (and in the SP, it seemed she was still expecting to do her regularly planned jumps aside from the 3-3), then I don't see much of problem with her trying to gut it out. That's what athletes do, and it would be crazy, in my opinion, to fine her for that.

If I recall correctly, Rachael was struggling with both jumps (the flip and the lutz) in practice that were effected by the stress fracture. She just did one of those jumps (the flip in SP) successfully.

Regardless of the official reason, I'm glad the USFS took this action as it encourages other skaters to be honest with the federation. I'm also in agreement with others that Tom Z. deserves to be reprimanded more strictly than Rachael. I view him as the the person most responsible for this incident happening.