PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

DarrellH
06-20-2011, 10:09 PM
:duh:

TheIronLady
06-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Actually skatingfan5, that may not be as dead end as I thought. It made me think: Do we hold the USA ladies to unrealistic standards of perfection? Michelle Kwan was so meticulously nice and perfect. She made sure to do the right thing in 2006, making herself again into a sort of hero for letting Emily Hughes compete in Torino. Is the Kwan standard unreasonable? Hughes and Kwan were nice girls with responsible temperaments. It seems like the USFSA and the media actually favored Rachael because of her resemblance to them. Do we need to cut the US ladies slack and let them be rebellious, emotionally flawed, or sometimes self-interested?

I think it's good we have the highest standards and expectations of skaters' behavior and honesty. We should not lower them. But in subjective sports like ours it gets dicey, because we should not allow perceptions of character to influence the judging of what happens on the ice. This is my concern.

RD
06-20-2011, 10:29 PM
:duh:

sums the last few pages up pretty well.

taf2002
06-20-2011, 10:50 PM
So Rachael "has a tendency towards cheating/being dishonest and lying"? Perhaps you really didn't mean to say that Rachael has an inclination to being dishonest or a constant disposition of cheating or a propensity to lie or that she has a characteristic likelihood of cheating/dishonesty/lying. (The bold face indicates definitions of "tendency.") Because if it's true that Rachael has that tendency, then one could speculate that her SAT scores (not to mention all of her supposedly great report cards) aren't really representative of her ability -- but rather of her ability to cheat. :rolleyes: Or perhaps you really didn't mean to say that Rachael has a tendency for cheating, but rather that in this instance (Worlds 2011) she didn't reveal the truth of her physical condition/injury, which broke USFS rules and has resulted in the reprimand and fine. Or perhaps you know of other instances where Rachael has "cheated, lied and been dishonest" to support your claim that she has a tendency towards such behavior.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to skatingfan5 again.

Spiralgraph
06-20-2011, 10:58 PM
I have been reading this thread with more and more dismay. Really, some posters here are blowing this all out of proportion.

Making a mountain out of a molehill is right.

Skatingfan5, you rock..

The Fly On The Wall
06-20-2011, 11:34 PM
I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill and this decision will have zero impact on Rachael at any time for anything that is outside of figure skating.

ITA. Some people are carrying on as if Rachel sold state secrets to the Russians back in the Cold War days. :rolleyes:

The Fly On The Wall
06-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Whoa there. It's a long way from "everything's just ducky and I'm going to have a great competition" to labeling her as a liar and cheater. If anything, it shows that she's so tenacious that she kept training despite the pain and that she's someone who needs guidance on when to listen to her body. The only serious character flaw I see is the "in Tom we trust" attitude.

^This.

Despite all the self-righteous posts on this thread, I bet there's not a one of us who would actual withdraw from Worlds unless one of our legs had actually fallen off.

Triple Butz
06-20-2011, 11:42 PM
I think Rachael made a mistake, BUT the proper actions were taken and carried out. She was fined and warned. That's it, case closed. I can't believe anyone actually thinks she could/would lose endorsements or or become ineligible for scholarships because of this incident. She made an unwise decision, but nobody died, no puppies were kicked, and no ten-year-olds received wedgies. Let's move on.

Sasha'sSpins
06-20-2011, 11:50 PM
I think Rachael made a mistake, BUT the proper actions were taken and carried out. She was fined and warned. That's it, case closed. I can't believe anyone actually thinks she could/would lose endorsements or or become ineligible for scholarships because of this incident. She made an unwise decision, but nobody died, no puppies were kicked, and no ten-year-olds received wedgies. Let's move on.

True. No one cares outside of figure skating. Someone said the USFSA will come looking like they have egg on their face, etc. To whom? The fans I guess but as I said outside of figure skating no one cares. This is some interesting news in June about a winter sport though-but it's not world news, or even national news. AP picked it up and a few news outlets have mentioned it on their websites like espn, and sports illustrated:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/figureskating/news/story?id=6665892

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/more/06/15/flatt.fined.ap/index.html

but thats about it. This tiny wind is blowing over already and no one really noticed. Of course I expect this will be brought up again the next time Rachael appears on camera for an interview but by then it will be a distant memory. :blah:

taf2002
06-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Actually skatingfan5, that may not be as dead end as I thought. It made me think: Do we hold the USA ladies to unrealistic standards of perfection? Michelle Kwan was so meticulously nice and perfect. She made sure to do the right thing in 2006, making herself again into a sort of hero for letting Emily Hughes compete in Torino. Is the Kwan standard unreasonable? Hughes and Kwan were nice girls with responsible temperaments. It seems like the USFSA and the media actually favored Rachael because of her resemblance to them. Do we need to cut the US ladies slack and let them be rebellious, emotionally flawed, or sometimes self-interested?

Bite your tongue. NO ONE resembles the Kween. And Hughes & Kwan in the same sentence? :scream:

ProgramerUSFS
06-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Why are you assuming that their are paid advisors involved?

Rachael is not the second coming of Tonya Harding...Quite simply, she broke a rule..nothing wrong with playing by the rules. And, yes, we may have all broken rules, but in doing so, one has to be willing to pay the price. She has paid the price...

I was assuming she pays Tom to coach her? Part of his "job" is to advise her, protect her, and take care of issues like this. Although I may sound hard on her, I really feel that she got the bad end of the stick, because Tom let her down. She was suppose to focus on skating and let Tom deal with all the rules. He goes and gets training credits, sits in discussions on ethics, and has to prove via tests that he is ready to guide and advise these kids on what to do.

And she pays him, and I bet a lot of money! Does anyone think he did his job? I don't.

kwanette
06-21-2011, 12:53 AM
I was assuming she pays Tom to coach her? Part of his "job" is to advise her, protect her, and take care of issues like this. Although I may sound hard on her, I really feel that she got the bad end of the stick, because Tom let her down. She was suppose to focus on skating and let Tom deal with all the rules. He goes and gets training credits, sits in discussions on ethics, and has to prove via tests that he is ready to guide and advise these kids on what to do.

And she pays him, and I bet a lot of money! Does anyone think he did his job? I don't.

How do you know what Tom did or didn't do? The USFSA is going to look into his role. If complicit, he will be sanctioned. If not....

olifaunt
06-21-2011, 01:00 AM
How do you know what Tom did or didn't do? The USFSA is going to look into his role. If complicit, he will be sanctioned. If not....

Tom said in a previous Hersh article that he felt Rachael would be able to skate even after learning of her injury.

Maybe he's lying, or she ignored his strenuous objections and went out anyway, but by his own admission he knew of her injury and chose not to tell USFSA or Frank.

ProgramerUSFS
06-21-2011, 01:03 AM

Well, if Tom did what he should have, do you think Racheal would have been fined. Lets see, Tom told USFS and briefed them completely, but because Racheal didn't call them directly she got fined. What planet are you living on?

kwanette
06-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Well, if Tom did what he should have, do you think Racheal would have been fined. Lets see, Tom told USFS and briefed them completely, but because Racheal didn't call them directly she got fined. What planet are you living on?

Then he will be sanctioned. Why he hasn't been up to this point is a "puzzlement".

I live on Planet Kwan.