PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Zemgirl
06-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks, I hadn't seen that before. Ya she clearly didn't say that she was in pain, and even indicated that she was in great physical condition. I wonder if she has a marketing manager or someone who is guiding her reputation, because all these things are a disaster when stuff happens. Clearly she wasn't telling the truth about her condition. I don't know how colleges work, but I would think that they would not want to be on the receiving end of this press, and would pull her funding for school if this incident affected them.
The blog post is dated April 18th, so before Rachael's diagnosis, and I didn't see any indication when the interview was done - could have been a bit earlier, and she may have been in better shape at the time. Anyway, we've seen plenty of athletes give misleading statements about their condition as part of the mental game/strategy; V/M keeping quiet about Tessa's condition during the Olympic year come to mind. The question isn't what she told bloggers/the media; it's what her federation knew, and when.

I can't imagine Stanford will give her any trouble over this. I'm sure some of their student athletes have competed with health issues over the years and I doubt it will be seen as that big an issue, or as evidence as to any issues with her character.

Jaana, "a tendency towards cheating/being dishonest and lying (her pre-Worlds interview)"? Are you serious? Are skaters obligated to share their exact medical situation with the media? Did Evan Lysacek give a completely accurate account of his health to reporters before 2009 Worlds? I seem to recall him playing coy about whether or not he'd attempt a quad in the LP, knowing full well that there was no way he would go for it given his condition. Again, if someone wants to argue that Rachael was wrong to keep things from the USFS, and that her punishment is merited, that's a fair point - but her telling Vlad from WFS that she felt great at least ten days before Worlds is hardly in the same category.

Iceman
06-20-2011, 02:43 PM
The question remains: Will Rachael ever get another break from the USFSA? Have they black listed her? Is Rachael going to become the Maria Butyrskaya of the USA?

**In case people don't know their Russian diva history...
Maria's name became mud with the Russian federation in 1993 after she bombed at Worlds and lost Russia any spot at the 1994 Olympics.

And Maria presevered and went on to win Worlds. She was determined and I think Rachael is too. Not saying Rachael will ever win worlds, but she will certainly give it a determined try. Of course, who knows what is going on in the Flatt household. I would think they are considering their options. In the end, I suspect the USFSA is going to come off badly, perhaps, even, with egg on their
faces.

AxelAnnie
06-20-2011, 03:20 PM
I can imagine that, even if you can't.

Skaters focus on their skating, not on what their legal obligations are.

Even if Rachel was not aware her coach sure was. And her legal represantative should habe known....whoever that was prior to her 18th birthday. And I would venture to say ALL US skaters know this. Imjury is a big deal in sport

VIETgrlTerifa
06-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Rules are made by powerful people to keep other people in line. No one every accomplished anything of merit without breaking a rule.

I had no idea you were such a conflict theorist, ;)

BTW, I do see what you're saying but I think there are some accomplishments of merit that happened without having to break "rules".

Vagabond
06-20-2011, 04:32 PM
I wonder if she has a marketing manager or someone who is guiding her reputation, because all these things are a disaster when stuff happens.

She has an agent, Tara Modlin, who also represents Johnny Weir and Jeremy Abbott.

Here's a video interview with her: Tara Modlin Talks with Tammy Yee (http://www.skatingcircle.com/videos/1780).

ETA: I thought this was a link to an interview at this year's Skate for Hope, but it's actually from last year. It's confusing because there's a June 2011 somewhere on the webpage, but the video has a graphic that says it's from 2010. :o

As Sylvia explains below, Flatt (and possibly Abbott) changed agents after this interview.

Sylvia
06-20-2011, 04:44 PM
She has an agent, Tara Modlin, who also represents Johnny Weir and Jeremy Abbott.
Modlin no longer represents Flatt. Flatt is represented by Octagon's Olympic & Action Sports Division (announced on January 26, 2011 on her official site): http://www.figureskatersonline.com/rachaelflatt/news.html

(There is no reference to Modlin on Abbott's official site, which may mean that she no longer represents him either.)

ETA:

I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill and this decision will have zero impact on Rachael at any time for anything that is outside of figure skating.
I agree.

Jaana
06-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Jaana, "a tendency towards cheating/being dishonest and lying (her pre-Worlds interview)"? Are you serious? Are skaters obligated to share their exact medical situation with the media? Did Evan Lysacek give a completely accurate account of his health to reporters before 2009 Worlds? I seem to recall him playing coy about whether or not he'd attempt a quad in the LP, knowing full well that there was no way he would go for it given his condition. Again, if someone wants to argue that Rachael was wrong to keep things from the USFS, and that her punishment is merited, that's a fair point - but her telling Vlad from WFS that she felt great at least ten days before Worlds is hardly in the same category.

Not with media, but apparently they must share it with USFSA and that Flatt did not do. And that is why she was punished. About Lysacek, he won the gold medal in 2009 Worlds, so his condition was good enough, LOL. He did not jump the quad in competitions after his withdrawal from 2008 Worlds because of the injury, so who expected him to jump it in 2009 Worlds...

RD
06-20-2011, 06:12 PM
I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill and this decision will have zero impact on Rachael at any time for anything that is outside of figure skating.

BINGO. Seriously, this is laughable if not utterly ridiculous.

Zemgirl
06-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Not with media, but apparently they must share it with USFSA and that Flatt did not do. And that is why she was punished. About Lysacek, he won the gold medal in 2009 Worlds, so his condition was good enough, LOL. He did not jump the quad in competitions after his withdrawal from 2008 Worlds because of the injury, so who expected him to jump it in 2009 Worlds...
And yet you were calling Rachael Flatt a liar and a cheater and specifically referred to the WFS interview as evidence, so clearly this was not just about her conduct toward her federation. If you look at my post, I pointed out that while Rachael Flatt was indeed obligated to report her condition to her federation, and could certainly be criticized for not doing so, she was under no obligation to share this information with Vlad, Phil Hersh, or skating fans. I guess you now agree with that?

As for Lysacek, the point is that he could not have known ahead of time how competitive he would in 2009, just as Flatt couldn't have known how competitive she would be in 2011; she did manage a decent SP. Turns out the risk he took in competing with an injury paid off (helped by a disappointing level of skating in the men's event) and hers didn't. If Flatt had finished high enough to qualify that third slot, her non-disclosure would likely have been a non-issue to the media and the USFS would probably have let it go - so I do think it's fair to say that she was essentially punished for performing poorly.

Indeed. I should really stop posting in this thread... this story needs to be left in the past where it belongs. Okay, no more Flatt-related posts from me! ;)

kwanette
06-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks, I hadn't seen that before. Ya she clearly didn't say that she was in pain, and even indicated that she was in great physical condition. I wonder if she has a marketing manager or someone who is guiding her reputation, because all these things are a disaster when stuff happens. Clearly she wasn't telling the truth about her condition. I don't know how colleges work, but I would think that they would not want to be on the receiving end of this press, and would pull her funding for school if this incident affected them.

The best thing for her to do, is just ignore it and move on, but I still think she would gain publicly a lot if she came forward and made a statement about not being advised correctly by paid advisors who she counted on and they let her down, and that she takes full responsibility for their short comings because in the end she was ultimately responsible.

If she did this, it would change the situation from everyone being down on her, to this is what we want our younger people to model after, owning up for their mistakes and being grownup to take responsibilities. If she had a marketing manager, this is what they would guide her on. Remember, in marketing all negatives can be turned into benefiting you and your position, she just needs to get help in doing so.

Why are you assuming that their are paid advisors involved?

Rachael is not the second coming of Tonya Harding...Quite simply, she broke a rule..nothing wrong with playing by the rules. And, yes, we may have all broken rules, but in doing so, one has to be willing to pay the price. She has paid the price...

Jaana
06-20-2011, 06:47 PM
If you look at my post, I pointed out that while Rachael Flatt was indeed obligated to report her condition to her federation, and could certainly be criticized for not doing so, she was under no obligation to share this information with Vlad, Phil Hersh, or skating fans. I guess you now agree with that?

Anyone can agree with that she did not need to share the info with the above people, LOL. The problem is that she shared the info with wrong people later and not with the right people earlier.

As for Lysacek, the point is that he could not have known ahead of time how competitive he would in 2009!

And you know for sure that he or his coach did not discuss the matter with USFSA, because....? Anyway, this in pointless, because Evan won. Besides after his win he participated in SOI tour and only after that had a cast put onto his foot, as far as I remember. So, maybe his injury was not as serious as that of Flatt.

Cheylana
06-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I think someone upthread or in the other Rachael thread (IceAlisa, I think?) pointed out that a stress fracture of the leg is far more serious than a stress fracture of the toe.

But whatever, no way will Stanford revoke its acceptance of Rachael over this very minor issue.

skatingfan5
06-20-2011, 09:24 PM
I agree Flattīs behaviour is no criminal matter. On the other hand it shows though that she has a tendency towards cheating/being dishonest and lying .So Rachael "has a tendency towards cheating/being dishonest and lying"? Perhaps you really didn't mean to say that Rachael has an inclination to being dishonest or a constant disposition of cheating or a propensity to lie or that she has a characteristic likelihood of cheating/dishonesty/lying. (The bold face indicates definitions of "tendency.") Because if it's true that Rachael has that tendency, then one could speculate that her SAT scores (not to mention all of her supposedly great report cards) aren't really representative of her ability -- but rather of her ability to cheat. :rolleyes: Or perhaps you really didn't mean to say that Rachael has a tendency for cheating, but rather that in this instance (Worlds 2011) she didn't reveal the truth of her physical condition/injury, which broke USFS rules and has resulted in the reprimand and fine. Or perhaps you know of other instances where Rachael has "cheated, lied and been dishonest" to support your claim that she has a tendency towards such behavior.

TheIronLady
06-20-2011, 09:33 PM
So Rachael "has a tendency towards cheating/being dishonest and lying"? Perhaps you really didn't mean to say that Rachael has an inclination to being dishonest or a constant disposition of cheating or a propensity to lie or that she has a characteristic likelihood of cheating/dishonesty/lying. (The bold face indicates definitions of "tendency.") Because if it's true that Rachael has that tendency, then one could speculate that her SAT scores (not to mention all of her supposedly great report cards) aren't really representative of her ability -- but rather of her ability to cheat. :rolleyes: Or perhaps you really didn't mean to say that Rachael has a tendency for cheating, but rather that in this instance (Worlds 2011) she didn't reveal the truth of her physical condition/injury, which broke USFS rules and has resulted in the reprimand and fine. Or perhaps you know of other instances where Rachael has "cheated, lied and been dishonest" to support your claim that she has a tendency towards such behavior.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

skatingfan5
06-20-2011, 09:36 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:I think you left out one :rolleyes:.