PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

agalisgv
06-20-2011, 07:45 AM
I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill and this decision will have zero impact on Rachael at any time for anything that is outside of figure skating.

This

skateboy
06-20-2011, 08:23 AM
I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill and this decision will have zero impact on Rachael at any time for anything that is outside of figure skating.

Exactly.

Jaana
06-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I agree with you. This is not a criminal matter or academic so there isn't even a place on the application to put it.

I agree Flattīs behaviour is no criminal matter. On the other hand it shows though that she has a tendency towards cheating/being dishonest and lying (her pre-Worlds interview). According to the rules (which she signed as she got funding) she should have reported her injury to USFSA and let them decide what to do about Worlds.

TheIronLady
06-20-2011, 11:26 AM
The question remains: Will Rachael ever get another break from the USFSA? Have they black listed her? Is Rachael going to become the Maria Butyrskaya of the USA?

**In case people don't know their Russian diva history...
Maria's name became mud with the Russian federation in 1993 after she bombed at Worlds and lost Russia any spot at the 1994 Olympics.

Loves_Shizuka
06-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Oh the hysteria of FSU :drama: :watch:

FigureSpins
06-20-2011, 01:05 PM
I altogether disagree. I don't think Stanford University knows or cares that such an organization as the United States Figure Skating Association exists.

There is a place on the applications for "other achievements." She will say she was U.S. figure skating champion and an Olympian.

As an Admissions officer, I can assure you that universities do keep track of deferred admitted and deposited students, especially those that are high-profile. She IS well-known, having given her reason for deferral as "competing as an international figure skater." That little footnote you've dismissed will come up in every Admissions tour or interview if the prospective student mentions figure skating. Having a National Champion in your school will attract other good students, so it's a selling feature.

Stanford is a Division I school and as such, they will keep tabs on student-athletes, even those who are not on a varsity team or deferred enrollment. Should she want to participate in a Stanford sports program, they would be within their rights to discuss this incident since it involved a rules violation.

All competent colleges and universities keep track of news and press releases that mention their institution and/or sports programs. It's very easy to set up a news alert or aggregator so that staff is aware of what's going on. Should a powerful alum or prospective family ask "Hey, what's going on with ()?" the worst answer to give is "I dunno. Why?"

However, I will say that I can't see a violation like this costing her admission or a scholarship. That would be foolish and overreacting.

ProgramerUSFS
06-20-2011, 01:06 PM
I agree Flattīs behaviour is no criminal matter. On the other hand it shows though that she has a tendency towards cheating/being dishonest and lying (her pre-Worlds interview). According to the rules (which she signed as she got funding) she should have reported her injury to USFSA and let them decide what to do about Worlds.

Are you saying she said things in the pre-Worlds interview that also indicated nothing was wrong? I have never seen this, can you provide a link to this, please.

Aceon6
06-20-2011, 01:13 PM

Whoa there. It's a long way from "everything's just ducky and I'm going to have a great competition" to labeling her as a liar and cheater. If anything, it shows that she's so tenacious that she kept training despite the pain and that she's someone who needs guidance on when to listen to her body. The only serious character flaw I see is the "in Tom we trust" attitude.

kittyjake5
06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
^ ProgramerUSFS - See post #281.

Mathman
06-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Rules are made by powerful people to keep other people in line. No one every accomplished anything of merit without breaking a rule.

I think Rachael should have reported the injury. That way, when she wrote her autobiography, she could have titled it, "The Heart of a Rule-follower."

ProgramerUSFS
06-20-2011, 01:30 PM
^ ProgramerUSFS - See post #281.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that before. Ya she clearly didn't say that she was in pain, and even indicated that she was in great physical condition. I wonder if she has a marketing manager or someone who is guiding her reputation, because all these things are a disaster when stuff happens. Clearly she wasn't telling the truth about her condition. I don't know how colleges work, but I would think that they would not want to be on the receiving end of this press, and would pull her funding for school if this incident affected them.

The best thing for her to do, is just ignore it and move on, but I still think she would gain publicly a lot if she came forward and made a statement about not being advised correctly by paid advisors who she counted on and they let her down, and that she takes full responsibility for their short comings because in the end she was ultimately responsible.

If she did this, it would change the situation from everyone being down on her, to this is what we want our younger people to model after, owning up for their mistakes and being grownup to take responsibilities. If she had a marketing manager, this is what they would guide her on. Remember, in marketing all negatives can be turned into benefiting you and your position, she just needs to get help in doing so.

Mathman
06-20-2011, 01:38 PM
^ Sorry, but that's all baloney.

Rachael's fine. The USFSA looks like idiots. On to the next show.

kwanatic
06-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I seriously doubt if Stanford will give two farts about this or anything dealing with figure skating. I read an interview that said Rachael will get no preferential treatment with regard to facilities, equipment, services or anything while she's attending that school. Figure skating is so far down on their list in terms of sports, that probably won't be a blip on their radar.

This is something that will blow over for Rachael, eventually...but for right now it's something she's going to have to deal with. She played a role in a very bad decision and now faces the consequences...

I'd just be worried about the repercussions from the USFSA. They've been rather supportive of her for the past couple of years because, despite the areas she is lacking, she had a good wholesome image and was a reliable, albeit lackluster, competitor. But this betrayal might leave a sour taste in their mouths. I just think there will be a drop in the amount of boosting she receives at nationals from now on.

Coco
06-20-2011, 02:15 PM
I kind of want to see her come out swinging, maybe because I'm a bit eville and I want to see what happens, but also because there's a lot that's unprecedented here. She did not act alone yet she's the only one who's been reprimanded. Were the penalties for breaking this rule ever spelled out? Was publicity over any reprimands ever spelled out in the rules? There's a bunch of questions...

FigureSpins
06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
I seriously doubt if Stanford will give two farts about this or anything dealing with figure skating. I read an interview that said Rachael will get no preferential treatment with regard to facilities, equipment, services or anything while she's attending that school. Figure skating is so far down on their list in terms of sports, that probably won't be a blip on their radar.

I read the same article - it was all about how Rachael won't be able to skate as a freshman at Stanford. There's no rink on campus, she won't have a car, mass transit is so limited...what will she do? It was such a positive article, lol.

The facilities, etc. came up in that article because Varsity sports and athletes get first dibs. That's standard at all universities: football, baseball, etc. take the best and most time and facilities, especially for team workouts. There's always time available for students and staff, though. It's not the choicest slots, but hey, figure skating rarely gets the best time slots anyway. (6am freestyles anyone?)

The second-tier preference goes to "Club" sport athletes, which includes the Stanford Figure Skating Club and its members. I'm not sure if Rachael will join them and compete for Stanford, but it's not unheard of: Curran Oi is the team captain for MIT's collegiate team.
http://www.stanford.edu/group/figure-skating/
http://web.mit.edu/skatingclub/www/officers.html

The next-lowest on the totem pole are the students who are not involved with any university-sponsored sports.
Faculty and staff are at ground level, with the last choice of facilities. (At points during the year, our athetic center shuts down because the students aren't on campus.)

More to the point, that article didn't say they'd ignore and/or exclude Rachael because she's a figure skater, lol.
Since this was a minor rules violation, it'll just come up if she does choose to join a Stanford sports club or varsity team.
I also doubt it would be a big deal, however, they will note it.