PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

GarrAarghHrumph
06-19-2011, 10:59 PM
This is the type of thing that Rachel would normally need to disclose for professional school admissions, but as others said, it wouldn't have to keep her out. Depends on how she handles it in her explanation.

This is also something that Stanford would want to know about, and yes, it could affect her admissions there. But I am sure she'll handle herself well in her explanation to them, so I don't think they'll rescind. But it can happen.

olifaunt
06-19-2011, 11:07 PM
This is the type of thing she'd normally need to disclose for professional school admissions, but as others said, it wouldn't have to keep her out. Depends on how she handles it in her explanation.

This is also something that Stanford would want to know about, and yes, it could affect her admissions there. But I am sure she'll handle herself well in her explanation to them, so I don't think they'll rescind. But it can happen.

Curious: why do you think Stanford would consider this a reason to rescind her admission? It's not an academic issue, nor a criminal charge, and presumably the fine's not large enough to disrupt her tuition payments. I'd liken this to a dispute with her employer: a more public one, yes, but she's being disciplined by her "workplace", not her school. Would another kid get their admission rescinded if they got fired from their job over the summer?

Mathman
06-19-2011, 11:07 PM
This is the type of thing that Rachel would normally need to disclose for professional school admissions...

This is also something that Stanford would want to know about...

I altogether disagree. I don't think Stanford University knows or cares that such an organization as the United States Figure Skating Association exists.

There is a place on the applications for "other achievements." She will say she was U.S. figure skating champion and an Olympian.

Now then, about those SATs...

MacMadame
06-19-2011, 11:38 PM
I altogether disagree. I don't think Stanford University knows or cares that such an organization as the United States Figure Skating Association exists.

I agree with you. This is not a criminal matter or academic so there isn't even a place on the application to put it.

I think it might be different if Rachael was fined as a participant of a sport sponsored by her school (i.e, if she was on the school softball or tennis team). But she's taking part in a private endeavor overseen by a private organization. It has nothing to do with school.

agalisgv
06-19-2011, 11:45 PM
This is the type of thing that Rachel would normally need to disclose for professional school admissions Guess it depends, but in the professional programs with which I am familiar it wouldn't. Basically figure skating is considered an outside hobby, and the professional programs I'm familiar with aren't concerned with controversies surrounding hobbies unless there is criminal conduct involved. There isn't even a place in the admission application materials that I've seen where they ask such information or where one could credibly insert such disclosures.

What fields are you thinking of that would request figure skating sanction info?
This is also something that Stanford would want to know about, and yes, it could affect her admissions there. I can't think of any undergrad program in the country that would either care or use it to affect sn admissions decision (with the exception of schools that admit a student on an athletic scholarship with the intention of that student then competing for the school).

If Rachel had plagiarized something, then sure.

victoriaheidi
06-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Curious: why do you think Stanford would consider this a reason to rescind her admission? It's not an academic issue, nor a criminal charge, and presumably the fine's not large enough to disrupt her tuition payments. I'd liken this to a dispute with her employer: a more public one, yes, but she's being disciplined by her "workplace", not her school. Would another kid get their admission rescinded if they got fired from their job over the summer?

I doubt Stanford's going to go looking for this info.

Personally, I'd just be more concerned about my professors or future classmates thinking that I did something really bad (when, in actuality, it wasn't as horrible as we've all made it sound, imo).

Iceman
06-20-2011, 01:03 AM
I, the skater, agree to adhere to my seasonal plan

Was Mirai reprimanded last year when Frank publicly stated she was not practicing the way she should? Seems a violation of this part of the agreement to me.

With regard to that: Do skaters submit their seasonal plan to USFSA and does USFSA check to see that they are adhering to it

The thing that bothers me about Rachael's situation is that I suspect it was quite arbitrary.

Japanfan
06-20-2011, 03:20 AM
What fields are you thinking of that would request figure skating sanction info? I can't think of any undergrad program in the country that would either care or use it to affect sn admissions decision (with the exception of schools that admit a student on an athletic scholarship with the intention of that student then competing for the school).

If Rachel had plagiarized something, then sure.

And no school is going to Google applicants to see if they have gotten into any sort of trouble. They have enough work to do just screening the many applications and personal statements they receive.

And I imagine students could get away with plagiarizing as well, unless they have been caught and it is noted on their transcript.

victoriaheidi
06-20-2011, 03:36 AM
And no school is going to Google applicants to see if they have gotten into any sort of trouble. They have enough work to do just screening the many applications and personal statements they receive.

And I imagine students could get away with plagiarizing as well, unless they have been caught and it is noted on their transcript.

Almost every HS I've seen has some kind of policy about cheating going on the transcript or in the record, but college apps only ask if you've ever been suspended. In other words, I'm sure many college admits have some form of cheating on their records.

The Fly On The Wall
06-20-2011, 04:50 AM
Rachael wasn't admitted to Stanford as a figure skater. Have we all forgotten the Honors and AP classes? I doubt getting "only" 12th place at Worlds is going to matter to Stanford one iota. :rolleyes:

Marco
06-20-2011, 05:15 AM
I think the schools and the future employers will be interested to know this public penalty, because it's not against her performance, but against her failure to disclose something material to an authority that is entitled to know that information. It can be a contractual issue, it can be a sportsmanship issue, it can be an ethics issue etc.

If she admits to the blame, then she is selfish to hide the injury from USFS. If she tries to place the blame on Tom, then she is not mature enough to make her own decisions and takes no responsibility for her own action as an adult. It really is lose-lose for her.

Bottom line is, money, contract and country honour was at stake, and she chose to withhold important information from the goverrning authority just for her own glory. Would the schools now have doubts about the factual basis or completeness of information she has submitted for her application? Would any scholarship program now think twice before granting her money? Would any future employer further question her before giving her grant money for some chemical research or something?

Mathman
06-20-2011, 05:16 AM
^ Stanford only accepts the top ten. ;)

MacMadame
06-20-2011, 06:17 AM
I think the schools and the future employers will be interested to know this public penalty, because it's not against her performance, but against her failure to disclose something material to an authority that is entitled to know that information.
I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill and this decision will have zero impact on Rachael at any time for anything that is outside of figure skating.

victoriaheidi
06-20-2011, 07:05 AM
I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill and this decision will have zero impact on Rachael at any time for anything that is outside of figure skating.

You're probably right. I come at this particular problem from two angles:

1. I just finished college apps. The #1 piece of advice I heard was, "make sure anything questionable is explained." I have friends who wrote five-paragraph essays about how wrong it was to text in class (cell phone confiscations go on record at my school). We're all told to hide our online personalities until May 1 (just in case there's anything that can even remotely objectionable).

2. If someone well-known were coming to my college next year (and, as my friend who's attending Stanford told me, he's heard her name at several Class of 2015 events), I'd be curious to know about her. And this isn't the first impression I'd want to make on my new classmates. Especially because it sounds worse than it is.

MacMadame
06-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Especially because it sounds worse than it is.

Well, that's your opinion. I don't think it sounds bad at all. But then, I follow sports other than figure skating where players get fined all the time for all sorts of things so the words "fine" and "reprimand" wouldn't cause that sort of reaction.

I also doubt many Stanford freshman are Googling Rachael Flatt because she's famous. Because she really isn't outside of figure skating and there just aren't that many figure skating fans out there (unfortunately). And the fans understand exactly what her offense is.